Trayvon Martin’s Last Known Words.

Via on May 19, 2012

“Get off, get off.”

Click above for the rest.

Let’s remember: he was unarmed.

Also from the NY Times article:

One police document contained in the discovery concluded, “The encounter between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin was ultimately avoidable by Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and awaited the arrival of law enforcement, or conversely if he had identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and initiated dialogue in an effort to dispel each party’s concerns.”

It added, “There is no indication that Trayvon Martin was involved in any criminal activity at the time of the encounter.”

~

We’ve shared this before, but Trayvon’s Mother’s message a positive takeaway from this tragedy: repeal Stand your Ground laws—they aren’t worthy of the great nation that America is and aspires to be.

YouTube Preview Image
Desktop/Tablet banner

About Waylon Lewis

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

11 Responses to “Trayvon Martin’s Last Known Words.”

1. yogasamurai says:

I share your concern, though I do believe states have a right to pass 'Stand Your Ground" laws. Other states can pass different laws. I don't think the data support the idea that most people shot in the "self-defense" encounters that are permissible under these laws are "children." It simply makes for a more emotionally compelling gun control campaign to imply as much.

However, the basic facts of this tragic encounter and the eyewitness accounts do turn out to support Mister Zimmerman's version of the events. He was attacked by Mister Martin, and pummeled. Mister Zimmerman cried out for help, then shot Mister Martin when he was on top of him. The person crying "Get off, get off" was Mister Zimmerman, according to eyewitnesses. Even Mister Martin's father told police that it wasn't the voice of his son.

Mister Zimmerman never should have followed Mister Martin after being told not to do so by the police he called. The police told him to wait in his car. He claims he only left his car to get an address off a house so that he could tell police exactly where he was. At that point, he says, he was attacked by Mister Martin.

Culpability? Mister Zimmerman's vigilante-type activity helped instigate this tragedy, no question. However, there was absolutely no good reason for Mister Martin to make matters far worse by attacking Mister Zimmerman. That's what a lot of people don't want to deal with. Until that attack happened, no crime had been committed by anyone. All Zimmerman had done was called the police. The matter would likely have been sorted out rather quickly once they arrived.

Would any of the commentators on this incident in the past have jumped a guy and gone into full Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) clobber mode – according to one eyewitness – just because you thought someone was following you and asking you what you were doing in an unfamiliar neighborhood? Ladies?

Basically Mister Martin practiced his own version – the ghetto street version – of "stand your ground". It goes like this: "This dude's following me, he's disrespecting me, therefore, it's time to whip his ass." It happens all the time. It's part of the culture of the street. And the fact is, if Mister Martin had not been shot and killed, the police probably would have charged him with assault.

There are other issues in this case besides the ones good liberals and progressives always think are the most important ones to address – "racism" and "gun control," being two. But, as usual, it takes more "discernment" – and perhaps more "yoga" – than people genuinely want to practice. It's much easier to fall into well-worn partisan prejudices of one stripe or another.

I'm glad President Obama thinks that "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." I wonder if President Obama's hypothetical son would also ACT like Trayvon? I hope that mine wouldn't. There are no winners here. Learning how to deescalate and defuse racially-tinged conflict is an important skill in our world. This is is a good example of what can happen when you don't have those skills.

By the way, I do think the police did the right thing by arresting Zimmerman, if only to defuse the outcry and to acknowledge that some culpability on Mister Zimmerman's part is likely present. I doubt the current charge, second degree – so-called "heat of passion" – murder will stick. Simple "manslaughter" might be entirely appropriate. The fact is, he pulled the trigger and someone died as a result, and it wasn't an accident, and didn't happen in a struggle for the gun, apparently. The family might also sue him in civil court for "wrongful death."

I think there is a chance, though, that Zimmerman might actually walk, and people should be prepared for that possibility.

• elephantjournal says:

Sounds like you're criticizing Trayvon, ironically, for defending himself after feeling threatened, which is precisely what the Stand your Ground law is meant to protect. Did you read the Times account? Witnesses accounts in four other papers all reflected the same thing—Trayvon's voice was scared, pleading. In any case, this has gone to trial, and we can let justice do its thing.

• yogasamurai says:

My understanding of the events is from what's actually in the police report, according to the evidence the police actually gathered, including the eyewitness accounts. There is no evidence that Zimmerman attacked Martin, unprovoked. The evidence suggests the reverse, unless you consider that Martin had a "motive" relating to his own psychological state about what was not actually happening. I stand by my larger point, though, about what, spiritually, we might take away from this, as opposed to the usual knee-kerk reactions.

• The phrase “culture of the street” here is speculative and functions as a racist dog whistle. George Zimmerman had no legal basis to pursue the young man, and Trayvon Martin had every reason, in this society, where a black boy is statistically under threat, to avoid him. Martin having done nothing wrong, this outcome is a legal lynching.

2. elephantjournal says:

#
    As I understand it, there were many more words after that as heard by people who called 911. Nevertheless, it is a truly sad story.
    13 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Waylon Lewis Kitty, you have a link? I'd love to update/change the above if I'm off.
    13 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Kitty Kaler They weren't intelligible. So yes, those were his last *known* words. I read the Wikipedia pages for hours one night and listened to the 911 calls. I think there were more words exchanged. But I don't really know. I do know that I wish there were far fewer guns in our country and that this was indeed a sad sad incident.
    13 hours ago via mobile · LikeUnlike
    #
    Waylon Lewis I just read four diff news reports. Basically witnesses describe Z having T pinned down, T's voice being high-pitched, scared, sounding young, a lot of it unintelligible (there was a scuffle, it was raining). One voice very loud, aggressive.
    13 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Jessica Avery Never trust a Wikipedia site as your main source of info.
    6 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1
    #
    Mark Welte · Friends with Andréa Balt and 6 others
    How about we all lay off the speculation and implied name-calling. None of us was there. The gun laws are the real culprit here. None of us knows what it's like to live in that "community." It could be akin to living in Baghdad or Gaza. Not exactly a sane place, not exactly where sane actions are the rule of thumb. Let's return EJ to the genre it is, and how about a moratorium on TM and related subjects.
    5 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 2
    #
    Jeanie Redmond · Friends with Jackie Summers
    one of the most tragic events of our time….such a senseless loss of a young life…and such a dark, dark, dark, isideous side of the USA….this…simply should never have happened.

‎@Mark Welte…I simply disagree … anyone, or any publication, or any forum…etc. has a responsibility to put "voice" to the "voiceless" and offer a way for "voices" to be heard…the "TM" subject….as you refer to it…is about a child and his name is Trayvon Martin and his story is real…very real…and it's a tragic story…we simply as caring and compassionate human beings bury our heads in the sand and ignore the insanity of what happened…

#
    Jeanie Redmond · Friends with Jackie Summers
    ‎"cannot bury" our heads in the sand…..

#
    Waylon Lewis Mark, I'm not sure you have a better idea of what "genre" elephant is than I do. We've always considered Active Citizenship / Politics one of our core 12 areas of focus. That said, despite the Stand your Ground law, this has finally gone to trial, so cheers on "innocent until proven guilty," amen to that point of yours—repealing the Stand your Ground law is vital to what kind of country we want the US to continue to be.

3. elephantjournal says:

# :( I dont try to keep up on current events, no cable etc, but this is a sad story all around…everyone wants to be a hero but try to find the bad instead of looking for good:(

#
    elephantjournal.com Please *share if you support repealing Stand your Ground.

#
    Susi Costello Here's what I don't understand. Doesn't "Stand your Ground" say that if somebody intrudes on your space, your home, your safety zone, then you don't have to retreat, you can protect yourself or whatever. So why isn't Trayvon the one who was standing HIS ground? Why is the news saying, "Oohhh, he hit Zimmerman…" Yeah, a guy with a scary looking gun was intruding on his space. The people who support Stand your Ground should be supporting HIS actions not George Zimmerman's, right? If there's a flaw in my thinking, please explain it to me.

Lisa Greenwood how sad : (

4. yogasamurai says:

I don't think we should be taking sides. Isn't that part of the syndrome we need to move beyond?

I agree with Waylon on posting this. Don't so many people say that yoga is about the entire world? If it isn't actually, then yes, let's stick to asanas and our own esoteric sub-culture, but if it is indeed about the world, then we should bring the same principles of discernment to everything, no?

I'm basically Catholic, no yogi, though I regularly practice, and as such, there is no area that is beyond the purview of my faith? There is no spot where God is not?

Anywho, we all agree this is a terrible terrible thing, but there's more to this than just one gun-toter shooting a totally innocent kid in cold blood. It speaks to a lot of larger issues, methinks.

(Way, were you named after Waylon Jennings or what? I've even told people that was your name!)

Laytuh. Stewart

5. Padma Kadag says:

If Trayvon exercised his "Stand Your Ground" after being attacked by Zimmerman…Trayvon either would have been shot by police or on trial for murder in the first degree…and would have been arrested the same day.

6. [...] dangerous for the community. Weren’t we still reeling as a society from the senseless murder of Trayvon Martin? I cried so much for Trayvon’s parents looking at pictures of his sweet face. I saw my own sweet [...]

7. Don says:

White people still upset over the OJ verdict, I see.

8. elephantjournal says:

Via Kate Bartolotta: I agree 100% about the Stand Your Ground laws needing to be changed, but it's important to remember that Zimmerman did not invoke them, nor were they used in his defense.
    Like · Reply · 6 hours ago

elephantjournal.com Great point. They certainly influence the confidence of those with weapons in Florida. He might not have had the gall to get out of the truck if that law didn't exist in the first place.