Are Yoga Teachers Better in Bed? ~ Alexa Maxwell

Via on Jun 4, 2012
Photo credit: Dollen

Yes, yes, oh God, yes!

And here’s why:

Yoga teachers know the body.

They know theirs and they want to know yours. Your yoga teacher lover won’t be afraid to touch you. Anywhere. And she won’t be shy about touching herself, knowing what feels good, showing you what positions will hit her personal favorite spots. All this body knowledge is going to make for some powerful sex.

Yoga teachers have passion.

They have dedicated a lot of time to something that is not necessarily a lucrative profession. They have studied and asked questions. They have followed the urge to go deep in their physical, spiritual and emotional selves.

The lights are on and everybody’s home.

Your yoga teacher lover has gone through all the body image stuff and come through the other side. Yoga classes are not a place to be shy or self-conscious. She has sneakily, in the beginning, compared her body to hundreds of others and learned to see the universal beauty in every physical form instead of weighing her own deficits. She has seen her body change and grow stronger and she has witnessed this journey in others: first in classmates, then in students. She has seen young and old, fat and skinny, athletic, voluptuous, tattooed, black, brown, yellow, pink and white and seen the beauty in them all. She has undergone a spiritual journey as well as a physical one and it has lit her up in ways she never dreamed possible. She is eager to share that new wealth. Finally, she has turned back to her own physical body and learned to appreciate its strength and grace and forgiven it for its limitations.

Yoga, like the best sex, is about the journey, not goal oriented.

Yet, yogis are also pleasure-pursuers. Yoga has become a sport and like all sports, there is a high that you get when you master a pose, push a little farther, achieve the balance, go to a place that was previously unreachable. She has gotten high on her own body and she has received a contact high from others discovering their personal pleasure. She can spend all day exploring mutual pleasure with you. (Maybe learning a little about tantric sex could be great for both of you!) She can also hit it hard, fast and accurately when the occasion calls for it.

• And finally, the one you were waiting for:

How does the practice of yoga translate into a physical ability to be amazing in bed (or on the floor, table, against the wall, in the car, wherever these lovemaking sessions take place?) Strength, flexibility and endurance are components of yoga. They are also the elements that make the difference between boring same-old sex and something a little different once in a while. So enjoy exploring these things with your yogi or yogini lover because she has earned the appreciation.

Disclaimer: I have used the female pronoun here because well, because I’m a girl! But this applies to yoga guys as well—obviously!

Alexa Maxwell is a writer, teacher, traveler and student of yoga. She is a huge fan of elephant journal and is honored to be part of the herd. Watch for more posts as she attempts to maintain a steady yoga practice while solo traveling through South America. (YIKES!) You can read more at her blog, follow her on Twitter @catnipkiss or wait for her upcoming travel memoir, which is a work in progress.

Editor: Jamie Morgan

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

About elephant journal

73 Responses to “Are Yoga Teachers Better in Bed? ~ Alexa Maxwell”

1. Andrew Gurvey Andrew Gurvey says:

I must say, this all applies to male teachers as well :)

2. Edward Staskus says:

I can usually recognize irony and sarcasm when I see it, but in this case I have to ask: am I missing something? (And i do not mean any something about sex.) Or are you being completely serious?

• catnipkiss says:

It's not supposed to be ironic OR serious, just a little bit of fun. Also, I'm trying to hustle up a few dates for the summer! (Now, that was sarcasm…) – Alexa M.

3. Namaste . . .

Our Body is Our Temple . . .

so Keep Practice Yama-Niyama with all elements,

then start learning The Theory & Practice of Tantric-Yoga . . .

Om Shanti . . .

4. Rogelio says:

If you consider the modern version of yoga to be what it is suppose to be, then the article on sex is correct. but if you follow the yamas and niyamas, and read the yoga sutras of patanjali, of what yoga's real intent is, Sex is way down on the list of benefits.
    one sutra states that yogis/ yoginis, will desire less physical contact with others….
    But i guess being a yoga teacher now a days, its a great pick up status….

• catnipkiss says:

I'll have to let you know about that, Rogelio. It is an interesting opportunity, if one is looking for that kind of thing! As for me, I like the potential for a spiritual connection as well, and the way yoga opens you up so that you are more in touch with your own spirit (and ready to look at someone else in the same way) is one of the best parts of taking a yoga practice in -depth. But great sex is ALWAYS a plus! ;) Alexa Maxwell (RYT 200!!!!)

• Sneha says:

modern version of yoga is laughable, and so is this article……

5. trueayurveda says:

They can definitely fake it better!

6. The Author says:

I, a non yoga teacher, have had to instruct WAY to many yoga teachers in anatomy 101 to believe this.

7. Don't forget... says:

Two words (for both men & women) — mula bandha! ;)

8. Tim Whyte says:

How ironic that you're promoting teachers having sex with students yet isn't this just one of the things that brought down John Friend? By Ironic I also mean hypocritical. Although you speak the truth.

• catnipkiss says:

I never said "have sex with your yoga teacher" – just if your lover teaches yoga…… etc. I mostly work with little kids and senior citizens, so I am definitely NOT promoting that kind of relationship! – Alexa

9. Ummm... says:

Why do you say yoga teachers and not people in general who practice/study yoga?

• catnipkiss says:

Actually it does apply across the board, especially for those who have taken their practice to a deeper level. Sorry I did not use your screen name, but I hate to start a sentence with Ummm….. ;) – Alexa

10. chrys says:

just funny…

11. Holden Litgo says:

Must compliment you, Alexa Maxwell, on your good-natured responses to some rather silly comments here. Jai ho!

12. catnipkiss says:

Thank you Holden; I do try not to take things seriously if it is not warranted! Thanks for reading! – Alexa M.

13. yogacrap says:

What crap.

14. Shei_1 says:

I fully agree. But… not only teachers. But yogis period.

When we have become one with our mind, body & soul & chose to share this with someone special, prepare for very wide-legged forward bends & kisses so deep it'll leave scar tissue!!! ;)

Only issue I have with this article, is that we're insinuating that yoga teachers are only females…

15. yogahardlinerschill says:

I spent the better part of 5 years more or less celibate. It was not exactly voluntary, but I also did very little to change it. In that time, particularly in the last 3 or 4 years, my yoga practice advanced considerably (if not dramatically). This year I have been very sexually active, and have found all sorts of subtle and not so subtle differences sexually (all of a very positive nature). I had always been told I was a very good lover, but suffice to say my staying power and control over my body have gone to places I've never known. Fun and powerful!

16. Harlan says:

I loved this article. It doesn't say yoga teachers have sex with their students.

Awesome photo EJ.

17. marjorie says:

Funny Sex always stirs up the pot!

I like it but then again I am a teacher who likes SEX

Not with my students because I don’t mix business with pleasure

But I will advertise that I am a yoga instructor hoping to have better sex with my partner

• yogasamurai says:

Funny, when I first read this, I figured you meant that the sex part was the "business," and the yoga part was the "pleasure." Yoga for Hookers? With so many new yoga niches these days, I'm sure that one's just around the
      corner.

18. pete says:

So all the native cultures all around the world that had never heard of Yoga are stupid or bad lovers, ask the Polynesians ..slept with one?..before Sugar..[yoga,actually means.. oneness that started from meditation and celibacy]..is now..producing…tadaaah!..superlovers!..as well you name it..Yoga prodcuces!.great bricklayers, builders, child labourers, chemtrail researchers,animal activists, and people aware of the mass poverty in.. India[a colonialistic name for Hindustan]…

Its just amazing how people do all these different types of ''yoga'' and believe that they all came from Hindustan,..they didnt.

The majority where created by and are run by westerners who market and make money off cultures, who really represent what these uncultured westerners..yearn for…culture…I find it really amusing how many westerners doing ''yoga'' have never even slept with an Hindustani..never mind ..even kissing one..its laughable..

To me, to understand a culture..to truly understand depth, social, and innermost opinions of the culture your interested in, there is no understanding unless you are attracted to the culture of the country you endlessly..espouse and go on about..
    This is where its all exposed as marketing, white Yogis[bikram etc] travelling the world laying heaps of white girls, and splurging tonnes of cash..
    Yoga is in its death throws…right now..simply because it doesnt represent any culture at all, except the greatest..White male marketing..of WMM..sure there are genuine people, but genuine doesnt preclude you from observing the hypocrisy of ridiculous marketing ploys like the above article..

.Time to get out of the Yoga studios, get of your heads, and start looking at the big picture, who are you?..why are you here?..and am I doing this just because everyone else..is?..try looking up definition of a cult….unquestioning belief..and try and find one culture anywhere or animal that spends 1 hour stretching..its just so strange…to think white robes, notice white robes, [Hindustanis are dark brown, and wear alot of orange and turmeric stained clothing]..are pure and clean..

the Earth needs real people connected to the Earth..grounded, now is the time to look out the airconditioned window at the animals looking at you, and remember..the Earth is watching..Words, are nothing ..without actions..and actions create change…pete..

• HVBB says:

Yes, yoga IS a gateway drug…..to cultism and narcissistic behavior.
      One of the prime sypmptoms of narcissism are only associating with groups of like minded people (in order to have equal support of the already inflated ego….)
      And using the "sex sells" practice of advertising to gain new converts? Nice.

I agree with Pete. I could not have worded it any better than he did.

Seriously, Pete, please keep it coming.

And ANY form of exercise will make sex better. Yoga, as taught in the west, is equal to a runner hitting their "zone".

Yogis aren't "special"

I really wish they would stop acting that way.

19. catnipkiss says:

Hi Pete – I get you, and thanks for commenting. This article was just meant to be a little fun and playful, and of course I am NOT implying that yoga teachers (and practicioners) are the ONLY people in the world who can f**k :) What I am saying is that people (men, women, teachers, whoever!) who deepen their yoga practice are more in touch with their bodies, can appreciate bodies of others, have started to tap into deeper spiritual matters, and can CONNECT more fully because of their physical yoga practice. The asanas lead to deeper exploration of all other aspects of self, connecting to deep peace, and ability to share that with others. At least that is my experience.__All the other things you mention, the big picture, the animals and our connection to the Earth – they somehow magically come from this yoga practice that maybe was intially begunjust to lose a few pounds….. CHILDREN, listen! YOGA IS A GATEWAY DRUG!!

• pete says:

Hi..Alexa..the primary reason I posted this, was just the response I got..legitamisation of subtextual marketing..as ''fun''..

I have slept with Yoga women and other women…I cant generalise,but I find yoga women to lack energy, flexible but not really energetic..This is mainly diet related due to vegetarism and a thought belief system based on the non observing of how Nature works..no animal cleans their food of the bugs on it, Nature is covered in bugs..As all Native tribes were Omniverous as all animals are in Nature..

I have done talks for numerous Yoga centres in Sydney..and well, the health awareness was really..average..I have met ''yoga'' teachers that have been teaching for over 10 years that thought Fluoride was good for your teeth, and tap water was good…this is not unusual…not at all…

My whole life revolves around the health basis of Native cultures..Nutrition and Physical Degeneration Revised Edition…a massive study of Native peoples 14 in all, of all regions of the world, ''yoga'' is not mentioned..once…

Westernised belief systems loosely constructed on a maybe..[the origins of Yoga are vague..Meditation was the real basis..not stretching]..And now evidence is coming forward, that some if not all ''yoga'' comes from Gymnastics, as you can see ALL ''yoga'' moves easily in Gymnastic floor exercises..if you care to look..it is that ..simple..Observational Knowledge..the basis for real knowledge not heresay, rumour ''I heards''..belief systems…really destructive on children..

This is not an attack on ''yoga'' but an observation of hypnosis on a population,section.. as all ''yoga'' people are characterised, molded into a certain mindset, physicality, way of speech, movement and mind…by Unhealthy slow unergetic ''Hindustanis'' who believe that talking slow and moving slow, being bloated and pausing before they speak..makes them someone to acknowledge as ''wise and worldly''.

.This is a form of NLP that transposes into the ''alternative health'' as ''wow did you hear him say that'' when in other words he just said something really slowly, and you listened more because he was talking slowly and pausing…

Instantaneously ..marketing himself..All of the ''yogis' old ones ..are men..enough .said..no women..same old rubbish men acting like they know everything..when in fact women do, Barbara Walker books, for the real HER-story instead of HIS-story..

The same can be said of the ''gym'' people, a developed moulded ''character''..to fit in to the ''team''..a classic psychological training to disempower from individuality..Completely different from a childs way of behaviour…spontaneous, questioning non conformist and ..free..

As I said Alexa,'' yoga'' is almost dead, because it never was, it was just marketed as something, like Aerobics etc, the new kid on the block..
      I personally have been doing the Tibetan Five rites for over 12 years, and pushups, and handstand pushups, and digging, lifting and pulling, a physical job..the human body needs exercise, not stretching for long periods

Isolate ''yoga'' people, gym, by themselves away from other ''yoga'' or gym people for long periods…, and you will see the real person…a bit lost..and physically unfit to survive..in the wild..emotionally as well….
      This is why unquestioning belief systems are so bad, it removes, question, spontanatity, individulism and freedom from a unique entity..what a child starts life as..free..
      As I said we really need to get outside, and see if you can do ''yoga gym'' outside..or is the reason you dont, is because your scared of Nature?scared of the Sun..?..[by the way, gym is short for Gymnasium, and Gymnasiums contained Pommel horses, Parallel bars, floor mats, exercise rings, etc''gyms'' now just contain weights..mostly..so they really should be called..Weight rooms..or wait rooms..thanks for reading,

Try outside!…its alive!..pete melov

20. Jim Prmeau says:

Fabulous picture, and solid testimonial. May You stay Forever Young with open heart

21. yogasamurai says:

Well, there's no way of answering your question, Alexa – without having actual testimony from your partners?

There's a funny thing about Stud Bragging by either gender? When the real "notes" are compared, a different truth usually emerges!

I'm a trained social scientist, and at a minimum, I'd have to conduct my own participant-observation research.
    :o)))

• catnipkiss says:

Hi Yogasamurai – ok, I think I am about to be exposed as a charlatan – because I have had no lovers (currently don't have a partner) since I became a yoga teacher – and I don't even call myself that very often. I am still pursuing a "regular" job. I'm still looking for that lover who can benefit from my glorious expertise (haha – sarcasm again!!) I have had some very glowing reviews in the past, but it's not necessarily because I am a yogi. Maybe we need to get together and do that research :)

• yogasamurai says:

Yes, apparently you forgot to mention a painful contradiction: while becoming a yogini enhances your sexual prowess, it also tends to turns everyone around you off! What a hassle. And just when you thought you'd gained some leverage, too. :o))) You do have a good sense of humor Maybe not such a turn off after all. Hmmm…are you in the phone book? :o)))

• catnipkiss says:

Come find me at Wanderlust!

• yogasamurai says:

Egads, it's a come hither post. The last people I chased around the country were named Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart. Good luck, truly. I hear there is plenty of "action" there. Sounds like you intend to break your "fast." Some people "do" academic or trade association conferences, other people do yoga festivals. I guess every sub culture should have it's annual trysting spot. Actually with Wanderlust its a four-fer?.

• yogasamurai says:

By the way, Maxwell, when you click on the hyperlink marked blog, you get an error message. Is that a metaphor for what we might expect if we met you? Fix it! lol

• catnipkiss says:

oh, dear, maybe I need to remind my editors to link it when I send in a post! It's http://www.catnipkiss.wordpress.com I am not techo-savvy enough to make the link "work" on my own. As for Wanderlust, no, the lust part probably won't happen. I just want to experience yoga and music. But I've heard it's great, and I am open to all the possibilities of the universe before I come back to my "Clark Kent" existence and a rather subdued life (at this moment, anyway!)

22. HVBB says:

Yes, yoga IS a gateway drug…..to cultism and narcissistic behavior.
    And using the "sex sells" practice of advertising to gain new converts? Nice.

I agree with Pete. I could not have worded it any better than he did.

Seriously, Pete, please keep it coming.

Yogis aren't "special"

I really wish they would stop acting that way. .

• Lalita says:

I was half way through your comment before I realized you were being serious…..sleep it off and call it a day

23. erin says:

you are going on my 4th step. holy sh*t.

24. pete says:

Try outside!…its alive!..pete melov

• HVBB says:

Once again a brilliant and learned comment, most welcome and appreciated.
      I have seen touted over and over the "strength" benefits of yoga, however have never noticed any of the yogis/yoginis actually look as though they have any strength at all.
      I actually observed someone close to me have LESS energy than she had before she began yoga, suddenly erratic and irrational and needing to get to her yoga classes every day, but having no energy at all.
      I would consider myself VERY unhealthy and had more energy than she did.

And yes, it has become a very subversive marketing schema, now using sex even more to attempt to draw people in, as this is not the only attempt I have seen at doing this in this way.

"Yoga dating,"
      "Yoga sex."
      "Yogis are better at sex than ANYONE else."

ATHLETES may be better, and yoginis are not athletes, as you already stated. Like Vipassana, its just another cult, aerobic "moonies".

They really need to get over themselves.

25. catnipkiss says:

HVVB – Interesting comments! Although I agree that yoga has become cultish to a certain extent, I am probably one of the least trendy (no Lululemon $80 pants for me!) and perhaps down to earth person you might meet in a yoga class. (Is it still "humble" to call ones self humble? Or does that cancel it out immediately?) Yoga has enriched my life and I want to share that with others, not show off (not much to show!) or impress or anything like it. And as I confessed, I am currently celibate anyway. But writing the article was a way to connect my two favorite things, ONE of which i am not currently doing!__

26. catnipkiss says:

There are cults and cliques in every group – yogis, scrapbookers, dancers, dog people, golfers… etc., etc., etc. Yes, yoga has become diluted from what it was meant to be. Yes, trends and events and clothing lines and all sort of consumerism and related stuff has sprung from the popularity. We're in the US. It's what we do best! But I still maintain that one who finds yoga for one reason might still stumble into the spiritual aspect and become a more elightened person, whether they meant to or not. I know I have, and of course it is a journey! Others never find this. Poor them.__ Alexa

• HVBB says:

I am working on an article that was requested of me months ago (not exactly writer's block, more creative direction) and this is a very large par of said article.
      I might suggest reading ken Wilber's "integral spirituality" and also his "bommeritis"

I was introduced to him due to comments that I had made that had someone tell me that I sounded distinctly like him.
      He is a contemporary (sort of) of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, and is also distributed by Shambala press, the creation of CTR.

He said something that speaks to this in his "integral spirituality", which will be featured in my article.
      It is the following:

"And the use of Buddhism to support and encourage “the narcissism of feelings” (as well as pathological pluralism) is one of the truly difficult situations now fairly rampant as Dharma struggles to be rooted in the West, and extremely high meditative-state training is being used to prop up dysfunctional structures, or DLD. "

As Pete stated, and I have always known, yoga was only ever intended as a form of preparation for meditation. It has no other purpose. That is the ONLY purpose.
      So one will not sit and fidget and such in meditation, they practiced yoga as a form of still exercise.

So you can understand my, not hesitancy, but disbelief, when it is constantly touted as a way to become more spiritual.

And let's not even go into the fact people do not meditate correctly, or, as was mentioned by a friend only today, they just "chill and zone out on themselves", which essentially is a self isolation, not in the way of discovery that is intended, peeling back the layers of an artichoke to get to the heart and center of their true selves, but more a way to build up more layers of defense around the ego, thus reinforcing narcissism.

Add to that surrounding one's self only with like minded people (trait of narcissism) and the fact yoga is a focus of body consciousness, and you can see the narcissism and how it is created and reinforced.

My comments come from experience and observation, as well as voracious research (the narcissism epidemic) among other things.

I understand how people "feel" about this, but I can see the markers, as can others.

Unless one is living the 8 limbs of patanjali, doing the meditation as it is to be done, which is a solitary experience (Vipassana is also a cult) then they are not gaining any type of spiritual awakening, they are exercising and nothing more.

Yoga in the west is exercise is exercise, sing "spirituality" to sell it, and nothing more.

• HVBB says:

Apologies for the tips in the last line above. I meant to say

"Yoga in the west is exercise, using "spirituality" to sell it, and nothing more.

I should have added, that india, seeing the business advantages to this, have adopted the same mindset as well.

• catnipkiss says:

I will check out the books you mentioned. Remember that we all are human and on our own paths, living in the 8 limbs is a lofty expectation for everyone. I am far from an expert in any of these matters. It's good to explore. What person has the right to say "you're doing it wrong", anyway? Are there wrong ways to meditate? (Rhetorical question!)

• HVBB says:

Rhetorical or not it gains an answer: Yes.
            And it is precisely that that Ken Wilber speaks of.
            Also, lofty or not, it cannot be called yoga and one cannot be called a yogi or yogini if one does not live as a yogi or yogini.
            If practicing the 8 limbs, which really are truly common sense put down on paper, is part of that title, and not practiced. then it is not yoga.
            Logic.
            Therefore one CAN say it's wrong if it IS wrong.

• Louise Brooks says:

Oh for goodness sake HVBB, you sound exactly like the stubborn, humourless old farts that work in the Vatican – "only those that belief in and follow X, Y, Z, are true Catholics". Get over yourself. It is not for you to decide and judge what people get out of a philosophical system that is thousands of years old and has been exported to vastly different cultures and historical times. Any belief system evolves and adapts to the culture and needs of its new discoverers as well as the historical context they live in. This article was a light-hearted look at sex and yoga. It was not meant as a timeless writing on sexuality and yoga practice. When one becomes bogged down in intellectual methods of discovery one can quickly loose one's perspective on life and kill one's sense of humour.

• HVBB says:

I have NO tolerance for you zealots and their carnal sense of humor.
            it's actually disrespectful, as is their cultish lifestyle, to those around them, and how they view relationships as disposable, while preaching unity.

They are all the same and are the ones that need to get over themselves.

if you are going to do something, do it right or not at all, and don't become angry when someone points out that you aren't doing it right.

For yoga zealots, its hilarious no one seems to know of BKS Iyengar's intolerance of ignorance.
            Actually, NONE of the spiritual masters had a tolerance for ignorance: Marpa, or even the buddha himself, Siddhartha Guatama, had a tolerance for ignorance.

Neither do I.

There really are specific rules. outlined and easily obtained, not that difficult to live by, because they really ARE "common sense", and what any good or mindful person should be doing as a matter of day to day life anyway, that outline the practice of yoga.

None of that is being done by westerners, that, as Pete stated, "want to fit in".

This is a new social club for all yoga zealots.

A form of exercise that originally was intended to prepare for the deeper mediations the would have allowed all off them to "get over themselves", that has turned into a cultish, brainwashing, commons sense obliterating, self absorbed and narcissistic religion that is also a business being sold as religion.

They really need to get over themselves.

• Louise Brooks says:

Wow. You really have some serious and unresolved issues with yoga. Your anger jumps off the computer screen. Seriously dude, get some help and work through whatever is causing all this. A fun and funny essay has caused so much venom to come out of you. Again, a sense of humour is all that is required in order to read and understand this essay.

• HVBB says:

Wayne Dwyer, about 3 days ago posted on his page, in a picture quote format:

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken."
            -Wayne Dwyer

His followers, those that paid attention and didn't hang onto his every word, immediately pointed out that the quote came from Oscar Wilde, not Wayne Dwyer, and posted as much. One even said

"that's not being yourself, Wayne!"

oh, the irony……

But that incident makes a point:

apply it to yoga zealots and you realize they are all cookie cutter. Selfish, narcissistic, using

"I found my truth…"

as ways to excuse their malicious behavior toward others.

Last I checked, truths were supposed to be universal.

I have a sense of humor. I fid humor in the continued defense of the subject, which actually illustrates PRECISELY what Pete has been speaking of.
            Amazing when one is so oblivious they play right into the stereotype they created for themselves…..

I have no unresolved issues with yoga, I just dislike those that practice it, and I dislike them for precisely the reasons mentioned by Pete and illustrated in nearly any yoga community one could visit.

Yoga is a form of exercise designed for discipline and to allow one to not move or fidget while meditating to allow for deeper meditation.

I recognize it's purpose and intention, have never attempted to make it any more than that, and the attempted misdirection of displacing my observations from those practicing it to the entire construct and practice itself is laughable in it's predictability.

It ALSO plays into PRECISELY what Pete AND I have been saying.

Thank you.

27. pete says:

Hi Alexa, the great way to analise, anything, is where did it come from?..golfers, scrapebookers etc, dont behave like they are ''enlightened'' or ''spiritual'' just because they stretch for an hour, 4 times a week, and know some Hindustani words..

Its just alot of ''yoga'' people have a way of speaking and acting, that actually is recognisable..scrapbookers, golfers etc, dont.

You can watch a person change as soon as they start ''yoga'', they change almost completely, to a different person, and if you act to your original personality, on the main..you dont ''fit in''..this is molding, or training…NLP….dangerous..

Watch how extrovert, spontaneous kids are calmed down to be like all the rest, a great book ''The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America''By Iserbyt ..shows how the taking of a childs originality is the basis for conformity..training..

I did ''yoga'' for about 5 years, I never fitted in, I questioned continually, never got answers to questions, and found the exercises slowing and de-energising,thats why I gave it up.. and now I constantly get the remark, ''sorry, I am a bit out of it..Ive just done ''yoga'' ..super common..

Analysis continually, is the way to go to higher level, self acceptance of a belief without investigation and a common thought, action acceptance, non questioning belief system..is extremely dangerous for individuality and growth…

All Native Cultures, continually questioned and learnt from their surroundings, never did they have a belief in..words..

Observation of self, and Nature creates the next generation..I personally would like to see a generation of kids that know how the Sun works, Sun Earth relationship, how my body works, Live-er etc, than a regional exercise, that is regularly changed by people..''practising'' that regional exercise in a completely different country[non energetically aligned, bizarre]

Here in ''Australia'' , we have the oldest culture on the Planet, estimates, 100, 000 years or more, who knows, I dont know a single white person who knows any of the Dreamtime ceremonies, or anything to do with our native tribal ceremonies, its laughable..
    yet they do an exercise from another country..completely, that could be 100 years old at most..terrible..its embarrasing… ''Voices of the First Day,'' Robert Lawler,,life changing book..

This is the real danger of ''yoga'' a general sprituality that destroys all other far older cultures, by commercialism, marketing, and fear..fear of going deeper..to understand and respect the culture of your land..the real culture of who you are..
    For me Alexa..its not about what I am comfortable with, its about….am I asking questions of my surroundings?, and the people I associate with?, the land I walk on, and questioning how I could help the planet, and that only comes by understanding the culture of your country..not avoiding them…which most people do here in ''australia''..very interesting times at the moment..the answers are there, outside of the comfort box…pete melov

• HVBB says:

Precisely what Pete stated.
      I agree with this whole heartedly .

• catnipkiss says:

Yes, there is a lot of commercialism in the Western version of yoga…. but that is what brings people to it. And if just one of ten finds the connection to meditation, does some reading on the roots of yoga, the Sutras of Patanjali, starts to make connections and shares that with those around him/her, isn't that better than nobody ver "getting it" and spreading the peace? The other 9 can buy the expensive pants and drink the Kombucha lattes and wheat grass shakes or whatever, and participate in helping the economy by spending money and being arrogant – those people would be doing that no matter what "trend" they were into. And being On The Path means you are heading in a direction, right? Not saying I have arrived!
      Plus, I'm really sad that we all stopped talking about SEX (JK)……. Alexa

• HVBB says:

"The path" comes form buddhism, something that those practicing yoga seem to selectively forget, and no one practicing yoga practices buddhism, and if they do, it becomes the westernized versions Ken Wilber speaks, focusing on "the narcissism of feelings".

There is a great book called "the narcissism epidemic" and within it is detailed the results of a 15 years study that essentially says that all this "feel good" increased self esteem jibber jabber, that we have instilled in our culture (and is RAMPANT in the yoga culture) has caused a marked INCREASE of narcissism to the point that one in ten people show the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder.

ONE IN TEN.

It's not that the one might get it, it's that the other nine, since yoga is obviously cliquish, have more influence to the majority and are the public image, and direct where it goes.

They create "the path" followed and walked by most of those in yoga.

28. pete says:

• catnipkiss says:

The proof is in the pudding, as they say! since your yoga practice began, have you connected to deeper places in yourself, (and possibly connected more deeply to others) and become a kinder and more compassionate person? Has the exercise part of yoga inadvertently opened you up to exploration of your link to your community, your planet, the energy that pulses through the universe? then I think you HAVE touched on some enlightenment, found a deeper spirituality, and become a different kind of person. Maybe you originally wanted a tigher butt and some arm definition, and somehow you found something more. THAT to me is a true yogi, whether you have developed a meditation practice, know the eight limbs, read (or tried to read!) the Yoga Sutras, or any of that. Just be a nice person and realize your impact on the earth, and let yoga do for you what it does. Poseurs exist in every trend, but they are easily spotted. – Alexa

• HVBB says:

And I counter if they are so easily spotted, then why do so many RULE yoga?

You still miss the point.

Connect deeply with others? In the yoga community, the only others they "connect" to is EACH other IN the yoga community. If you are not part of that community, you are persona non grata, as Pete and I have been attempting to point out.

And Asana is only PART of yoga, which is only a precursor to meditation, which is a larger part, and even if THAT is done INCORRECTLY, will just reinforce the narcissism the body consciousness has already begun to feed.

And the 8 limbs are truly common sense, such as the golden rule of "do unto others" (one selectively neglected and ignored by most yoga practitioners….) therefore I have never understood how anyone could say that they are so difficult to read.
        BKS Iyengar even made a more easily digested version.

I feel they are not read due to ego. The ego has a way of not wanting to digest anything that threatens it. I've literally WATCHED this happen with someone. They placed themselves in their own logical morality trap and literally stated, when the ego realized this

"Wait….something doesn't feel right….."

and abruptly ended the conversation.

And you guys say WE sound nuts?

And let's go back to the fact that most yoga zealots look like they all fell into a xerox machine with the only change being the contrast settings……..it's like step ford yogis…..

An athlete, a physician, even a personal trainer or a nurse knows the body, but it doesn't make them any better in bed.

As Yogasamurai stated, the counter balance of being a yoga zealot is that unless they are another yogi, for the most part no one wants to spend any time with yoga zealots.

Why?

Has it ever occurred to any of them they EXCUDE narcissism and self absorption? That that connection they THINK they have is only in their own mind and people can sense that there is no connection at all?

This is all just food for thought. ;-)

However, the term yogi, in india, is quite revered and implies that the person whom has attained that title has done EVERYTHING to live a yogic lifestyle to be considered a yogi.

SOOOOO……if no one in the west is doing that, they are ALL poseurs.

29. HVBB says:

That first line should have read "I have no tolerance for yoga zealots" my OSX auto corrected itself.
    Wow.

30. @dollen says:

Hey, thanks for using my picture. Cool article!

31. [...] to one of our readers for passing along Elephant Journal‘s recent article “Are Yoga Teachers Better in Bed?,” which basically reads like the textual equivalent of a fluffer on a porn set. That being [...]

32. Linda-Sama says:

did John Friend really write this?

• catnipkiss says:

hahahahaha :) But seriously (not knowing or caring much about the whole John Friend thing) – sleeping with students is questionable but not immoral. sleeping with married people makes you slime if you are old enough to know better (except in cases of open marriages, etc, etc, etc – again, not really MY concern.) but I question that no one is upset with these married women who slept with him, because THEY are the ones breaking vows, teacher, guru, or whatnot…. hey, babe, YOU still have a husband at home! MY little soapbox, having investigated infidelity a lot in the last few years…….. – Alexa

• HVBB says:

I must say that must be the one comment you have made that I can agree with without contest or incident.

33. me says:

nope, martial arts students and teachers MUCH BETTER ! and massage therapists !! and dancers!

34. Shivin says:

* correction – "Well if someone wants to enjoy yoga with all flexibility or someone who understands his or her body well, then I guess you must promote sex with your anatomy professor or …"

35. [...] As yogis, my husband and I already had a great sex life. [...]

36. yogibattle says:

These articles are why I don't take Elephant Journal seriously as any kind of authority on Yoga. I guess sex sells. Very sad.

37. catnipkiss says:

Hi Shivin, rather than call names or tell people to ignore you, I applaud your comments and also your playfulness. Yoga means different things to different people. I am actually celibate right now myself (I know, don't blow my cover, ok?) and the article was written to be playful and fun. That's all! And to see if anyone would read it; which they did…. (yay!) And I understand the difference between a purely asana practice (exercise) and a more spiritual practice. but I do maintain that if people come to yoga, for whatever reason, they may end UP on a spiritual path. And more people who are mindful, reflective, and peaceful, the better it is for the world, right? And then I might meet someone to break my celibate streak ;) – Alexa