Church.

Via on Jun 9, 2012

Disrespect for equal rights, for fair trade practices, for the environment, for peace? Yup, it’s a Republican thang.

PS: I’m a knee-jerk liberal (clearly) and loved all those I knew at Sunday School, as a child…the aphorism about how close we are to God, or Jesus’ love being defined only by the kindness in our hearts is my maxim. We have three kind, deeply-serious (and fun) long-time Christian columnists on this site, and welcome more. I posted the above Somee Card simply because, well, as so many of these cards are, it’s funny, and yet points out some silliness in ourselves and our culture and our self-seriousness. ~ ed.

Bonus: about 40% of the comments on Pinterest disagree with the above notion (most do agree):

Source: lovemetoinfinity.tumblr.com via Allison on Pinterest

About Waylon Lewis

12 Responses to “Church.”

1. Mamaste says:

Just intro'd on FB to : Culture, Spirituality, Enlightened Society & Funny.

2. [...] is the original post: Church. | elephant journal Posted in Church Tags: 1st-generation, elephant-magazine, green-two, lewis, [...]

3. Mark Ledbetter says:

He wasn't a socialist and he didn't actually tell people to pay taxes. If you interpret 'render unto Ceasar' to mean 'support the war machine and govt oppression by paying your fair share' well, I don't think you are actually getting Jesus's message.

• elephantjournal says:

He also said something about a rich man and a needle. Beware of tuning the ancient record that is the Holy Bible to your own desires, my conservative friend.

Jesus was all about love, of course. Compassion: feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, healing the sick (for free).

• Mark Ledbetter says:

"Beware of turning the ancient record that is the Holy Bible to your own desires, my conservative friend."

Have to smile. Conservatives and liberals and many articles on Ele certainly try to justify modern ideologies with quotes from the Bible. For example, "Jesus was a socialist." For me, the message of Jesus was love and forgiveness, irrespective of ideology. The Bible? Clearly written by humans who sometimes had a clue and often did not. Not a place I would often go looking to justify my desires.

4. Mark Ledbetter says:

PS, just saw the subscript under the pink box on the things Republicans disrespect. If you include disrespecting 'peace' as a Republican thang, well your partisanship is blinding you. Foreign wars and the mil-Indus complex are a joint project between Reps and Dems.

• elephantjournal says:

Amen, and that's a problem, right?

That said, all efforts presently to cut widely expanded military spending in a down economy are being opposed by one party: the GOP.

I think there was a clear liberal movement to not go to war into Iraq (either time), remember that one?

And of course both wars were started by Bushes.

Since, I think there's been clear liberal pressure to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan as quickly as practicable.

But if you want to say that "Peace on Earth" oughta be bi-partisan, you won't hear argument from me.

5. Mark Ledbetter says:

Wars tend to be partisan. Dems oppose Rep wars. Reps oppose Dem wars.

Yes, In general, Dems make slightly less aggressive imperialists and militarists than Reps. Hardly anything to get excited about. It's kinda like, Mussolini is better than Hitler! Go Mussolini!

Outside of D. Cucinich, I see not a word from Dems about dismantling the military-industrial complex or closing all foreign bases. To the contrary, they happily raised the military budgets.

6. Mark Ledbetter says:

I also have to quibble about Pastor Tate's commendable but mis-guided effort to be open-minded in the new picture above. God, IMO, does not prefer. He does not exclude atheists from his love but he doesn't exclude hateful Christians either. "We are all equal in the eyes of God."

Good day, all! Hope you find a bit of peace today.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

And now, after a bit of thought, I have a quibble about my quibble. With a slight rewrite, Pastor Tate's sign will work for me. No, God does not prefer some of us over others, but he might prefer we think or be in certain ways, so…

God would prefer us to think kindly as atheists than hatefully as Christians.

Good day all from the quibbler!

7. [...] I pointed out in a previous post, there was a determined effort by the early Roman church to destroy every last copy of the banned gospels in order to get all Christians literally on the [...]