Presenting…Yoga Teacher Barbie!

Via Waylon Lewis
on Jun 11, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

…complete with Chihuahua.

(and sorry about the packaging).

Oh, Patanjali, you must be so proud:

“Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar.” ~ Bradley Miller

In other words, what we learn when we’re children matters. And we learn through play.

For more: do toys teach children about gender?

And, Every Body gets Old—even Barbie.

Don’t forget the rather welcome:

Finally: a Barbie Doll with Average Proportions!

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

46 Responses to “Presenting…Yoga Teacher Barbie!”

1. jackie says:

That's it. The END is finally here.

2. is it just me is barbie more proportional than before?

and this is totally unrealistic…not enough tattoos and piercings ;p

3. elephantjournal says:

#Jim:
    Is that the official dog breed of yoga or something?

#
    Lauren Medeiros
    Oh lordy. Ok, I'm a little torn on this one. I think it's good that this will expose little kids to yoga, but just that it's Barrrrrbie! Who also has impossible measurements for a woman's body. And, well, I guess I like to think of yoga as …a refuge from that unhealthy body image in society. So to see these two sides cross paths is actually a good lesson for me. A lesson to let go, because I can't control how yoga is used or presented in the world. I think it would be selfish of me to think I could! The yoga world is big enough for Barbie to be a teacher too. I just might not take her class :)

4. Zeus the Chihuahua says:

On behalf of us chihuahua's! We accept and embrace the title of official dog breed of the yogi.

5. Mamaste says:

Just intro'd on FB to: Culture, Funny, Yoga & Family.
    ~Mamaste

6. Karen says:

dislike

7. chrissy says:

Not going to lie, love the fact the chihuahua is on downward dog pose.

8. Adrienne says:

This just shows how mainstream Yoga has become. Unfortunately, sometimes it is not taught in a holistic fashion the way Patanjali had meant it to be studied.

9. Michelle says:

What is it with everyone and being so against Barbie? It's a doll, it's to help with imagination and I like them. I played with them when i was little and I loved it! Stop blaming toys for putting ideals in peoples heads. No one says anything about GI Joe, leggos, or stuffed teddy bears. I think its a great idea to expose children to yoga and it's fun. When they ask questions, just answer them honestly and tell them the truth about yoga so they will understand. Plain and simple.

10. Candice Garrett says:

Her neck is too long, her head too big and doggie is is flying out of her ass. She needs some malas, some tattoos and a large book on anatomy, possibly a harmonium. FACT: to have barbie's waistline, you would have to have your two lower ribs removed.

11. Candice Garrett says:

okay, so the tattoos are optional, just a preferance.

12. cathy says:

ok, so the execs discovered that yoga sells..

I'm still working on my Starbucks yogic wheat grass latte copywrite.. and when its approved- I'll be flying around to all the cool yoga events, sprinkling my 'open your heart' and 'manifest from your soul" phrases while getting henna-ed and wearing my uber-hip second hand yoga pants and Sports Authority yoga tops, taking buses, not cabs or rented cars and sleeping on the lawn, not in the 200/nt hotels.

13. Erby says:

Okay, so how do WE know that the other Barbies aren't yoga teachers too? Just sayin'….not all of us wear our yoga pants in public! ; )

14. yogasamurai says:

You couldn't make this shit up. Five years ago, no one would have believed this level of commercial "permutation" would be possible.

Now that the Pentagon has so full embraced yoga for war-training and war-fighting purposes, it's only a matter of time before we see a new "Yoga Tank"! Named "Shiva"? Or maybe matching weaponry named "Shakti and Shiva." Don't
    laugh. It's inevitable.

During the Vietnam War, the army renamed one of its most awesome killing machines – the mounted C-47 gunship – "Puff the Magic Dragon."

Yoga, as it's been spun out in American, is the perfect commercial cover for…..EVERYTHING. You name it, it's yoga right? Because after all, yoga is for everyone?

Congratulations, Ladies!

15. yogasamurai says:

This year's yogini feminist agenda: Demanding that Ken do yoga, too! Waaaaaa…..

The company should start an online blog….Should Ken do yoga, too? Could be a clever marketing tool.

16. A lesson to let go, because I can't control how yoga is used or presented in the world. I think it would be selfish of me to think I could! The yoga world is big enough for Barbie to be a teacher too. I just might not take her class :)

17. Val says:

frankly.. no comment…kali yuga

18. […] to make waves or speak words that might make someone else uncomfortable because it was not pretty like Barbie. I was too young to have breasts and high heels, but when the day came that I would have these […]

19. Zellie says: