“Rumi is Social Media Crack Cocaine.” ~ Waylon Lewis

Via on Jun 30, 2012

notrumi

Here’s something a very handsome charming (and modest) author wrote up about how every uberhipsterspiritualist quotes Rumi non-stop:

“I’ll meet you in the field lalalalal”

…his quotes are everywhere and yet no one knows anything about him. He was a Sufi! He was cool. Let’s learn more!

A call for renewed “Slow” Social Media consumption & sharing.

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
~ Rumi

Oh yeah? I agree. Probably.

But a little feel good quote ain’t spirituality, or even real joy. Leave me alone with your trite share-happy aphorisms, oh Facebookers, Pinteresters, and other too-speedy-to-be-present friends. ~ ed.

Rumi love quote

Source: Uploaded by user via Esther on Pinterest

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.”

~ Rumi

I gave a little seminar or workshop on Social Media for the Greater Good, yesterday, at the Unreasonable Institute, where I’m honored to serve as a mentor.

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
~ Rumi

The Beloved Poet Rumi

Source: conflictingheart.tumblr.com via carolynn on Pinterest

I used Austin’s Black Swan Yoga’s Facebook Page as a prime example of how a small business can go big, gathering community, online, for free.

~ Rumi

Stamp_from_Afghanistan_honoring_Mawlana_Jalaluddin_Balkhi_aka_Rumi

Source: Uploaded by user via Deena on Pinterest

And I said “Rumi is social media crack cocaine,” at one point. It’s true: all of human history, learning, and civilization, and we’ve become Pinterested only in pretty photos and quotes. Put one of those up, and speedy Americans will share, like, and move on. And your brand will grow.

Source: buddhistintraining.tumblr.com via Jan on Pinterest

“The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They’re in each other all along.”
~ Rumi

Of course, we all need to go deeper. And that’s what yoga classes (in Black Swan’s case) are for. So hopefully all that sharing, liking, and speediness will relax into good ol’fashioned 3D reality: you know…sunlight, fresh air, doing things, with people, making those memories that blow up the balloon that is a life, well-lived.

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
~ Rumi

ego rumi quote

Source: piccsy.com via Kimberly on Pinterest

We all love Rumi. But we could love his eloquent, mind-stopping, heart-pounding wisdom more fully.

So let this be a call (to me, to you, to her, to him) for renewed appreciation of Rumi, Hafiz, Dr. Seuss, and other much-overused victims of our quest for more fans.

Let this be a call for “Slow Social Media” consumption and sharing.

Is this call futile? Will it fall on mostly-closed ears and too-speedy minds? Probably.

But that’s no reason not to sound the horn. ~ Waylon Lewis

Let’s learn about Rumi, together!

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image
Rumi

About Waylon Lewis

82 Responses to ““Rumi is Social Media Crack Cocaine.” ~ Waylon Lewis”

1. Mamaste says:

Just intro'd on FB to: Cultured & Enlightened.
    ~Mamaste

2. Oh Rumi…I love Rumi but it is all a bit much after awhile.

I think we need to bring Bukoswki front and center to Facebook and Pinterest land instead. Or maybe just, you know, think things and say them to each other in person for real.

3. elephantjournal says:

Comments from my Wall:

Kate: I stand by my favorite Rumism "Out beyond ideas of rightdoing and wrongdoing there is a field. And everyone who pissed me off should go to that field and stay there!" or maybe that was just me and not Rumi.

Jay Winston Not to mention that most "Rumi" quotes, like most "Buddha" and "Martin Luther King" quotes are totally bogus…

Matson Tew ok Waylon, I am not sure about this one……I love your work, blog, fb occasional page but you are going out on a ledge blasting Rumi, Hafiz, Neruda…where would it end. If it speaks let it speak. Get out of that Boulder heat brother, think its getting to you

Tobye Hillier My favourite one is "Fuck the begrudgers"

Jordan Epstein · 20 mutual friends
    give me that real shit.

Meredith Potter I like your article. I also like Rumi. Inspirational quotes sometimes help my sanity.

Jayme Peta I've just been thinking this! Thanks for posting it! Pinterest is the worst for the trite aphorism.

Susi Costello · Friends with Seane Corn and 19 others
    I think many quotes are real shit. They're real thoughts, real truths… and they're put together in a poetic way that seem to speak to a lot of people.
    It's true that once you've heard something for maybe the 500th time, it sounds trite. But that doesn't mean it IS trite; it's just that we start to use it as shorthand which isn't good. But just like I can find inspiration in music or artwork, I can often find it in some bits of poetic philosophy.

Waylon Lewis Matson, my post has zero criticism of Rumi, Hafiz…not sure you understood the point, brother. The point is that our Facebook ADHD speediness treats these masters (I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Neruda) like fast food. Like, like, like, like…that is not how poetry is meant to be read. It's meant to be read in a bathtub, crying on yourself, smoking a Sherman, making love, drinking scotch.

• elephantjournal says:

Miller Maybe people should just not post quotations unless they have actually read the thing they are quoting from, as a good general rule.

Carolyn B: Maybe people should post whatever gives them a charge and if it itches our peeves we can hide it. #justsayin

Waylon Lewis Carolyn, of course, folks are going to do whatever they want, I have no control over that. But as with Slow Food, or Slow Friendship (ie eye contact vs. texting while "talking") slowing down and appreciating the full poems, not just treating this beautiful wisdom like momentary candy…going deeper and listening, instead of likelikesharesharelikelikepinpin…will make us more fundamentally happy.

Carolyn B: That sounds better framed as a suggestion than as a smackdown.

Waylon Lewis Laura = nailed it.

Waylon Lewis Carolyn, I don't think that post read as a smackdown, unless you're superserious.

Waylon Lewis ‎(but I agree halfways)

Lee Weingrad Happiness is highly overrated.

Waylon Lewis Cheerfulness is the ticket! http://www.elephantjournal.com/2008/12/trungpa-in
      Trungpa in UK Guardian: “Cheerful” beats “Happy.”

Pioneering Buddhist guru Chogyam Trungpa continues to teach, 20 years after pass…See More

Lee Weingrad Sorry. There is no ticket.

Waylon Lewis But there's something about ticketness and form and emptiness and basic goodness (cheerfulness).

• Lisa Moore says:

I write poetry, I read poetry, I love poetry, don't tell me how I should or shouldn't and where I should read it. I studied the New Romantics in college………..etc. I actually donot think social media is a place for pollution and degrading others. If I enjoy posting a Rumi quote or something kind, than so be it. Besides, I don't smoke anymore, don't drink anymore, having found out that the drunken poet myth is just that, a myth. I also haven't fallen in love in the last two or more decades. To busy perhaps serving others, family, friends, loved ones.

• yogasamurai says:

There are no rules for the proper "uses" of poems, nor are their proper "contexts" for reading them. In Il Postino, the postman chides Neruda for writing poetry selfishly, for himself – when he, the postman, needs the words, and therefore, has an even greater "right" to them than Neruda does. He steals one Neruda poem to read to the Village Belle as if it were his own – and wins her heart. Hmmmm…did he "cheat"?

4. elephantjournal says:

I wonder why there's so little Bukowski on Pinterest? Doesn't MarthaStewartland have a place for dark?

5. elephantjournal says:

Comments from our Main Page:

Truth is most of us who post Rumi-isms couldn't walk that talk if our lives depended on it.

elephantjournal.com ‎Tom Grasso – I think they are worthwhile in that they remind us to make those things our aim. I like Bukowski better: "Don't Try." ~ Kate

Robin Kusilka I do not know how old you are Waylon, but I am 57, and started reading Rumi when i was 20. His words showed me a new and more enlightened way of experiencing who i was, and guided me to where i wanted to be. Plus, in sharing his wise words, others have opened their hearts and souls…sorry you are so

Capri Kurtz wow online humans SUCK don't they. I posted a rumi-ism last week. hollaaa

elephantjournal.com Robin, case in point: you haven't read the article. If you had you'd know I looove Rumi. My criticism is of those of us (most of us on FB, Pinterest) who treat such masters too speedily, without slowing down and learning from them. ~ Waylon

• elephantjournal says:

Robin Kusilka I DID read the entire article, sorry but it did not come off as how you just presented it now. Sorry if i misinterpreted your intentions.

elephantjournal.com Probably my lack of clarity! My bad. Thanks, Robin, I'm learning from you and everyone here.

6. LGeffn says:

Rumi is wack- better than crack

7. Sherri says:

I really enjoy many articles in the Elephant Journal however there is, sometimes, a sense of "better than". My yoga is better than your yoga, my veganism is better than whatever you're eating, my spirituality kicks your spirituality's ass, I am better than you because I study and breathe Rumi in private and you just have a Pinterest page… I know more, I think more, I am more. I am better than you because i do things differently.

And I don't agree. I love it when someone posts an inspirational quote on Facebook – in that moment it is a reminder of those words, those thoughts – sometimes it is only for that moment, and sometimes I go back to find a quote that so and so put up, because I am thinking of it. And therefore thinking of them – and we connected, just a little bit more, through a silly post or picture that has been posted a thousand times before and liked countless times. Little connections, lovely connections.

• elephantjournal says:

You're right. Everyone's the same, on the same level. That's why we don't go to school, because we don't have anything to learn.

As for the inspiration you gain, that's great—and I certainly don't begrudge what Chogyam Trungpa called the salad bar approach to spirituality (take a little here, a little there, only what you like, never the tough or bitter stuff). It's good for what it is, which is a little moment of inspiration. I'm just saying we can slow down, and dive deeper. I'm talking to myself, as much as anyone, here: speedy social media clicking turns genuine inspiration, the kind you seem to think I'm attacking (when I'm defending it) into fast food.

Yours,

Waylon

• Deborah A Davis says:

Oh Good Waylon,

sometimes, when bits of the soul is shredded, a little bandaid feels good. Feeling good is allowable in all but the most self flaggilating lifestyles. A litttle healing is better than none.

• Sara says:

Yes, I agree Sherri. Those little moments of inspiration can lift my whole day. I save the best ones in a file named 'inspirational quotes' and use them in my blog, or when I need a lift. There are a million different roads that we can take to be inspired, and I for one don't care to comment on how others do it.

• Sherri says:

Thank you Sara – I never write comments because I fear being misunderstood! Perhaps it is a salad bar approach as Mr. Waylon calls it – I don't know but I don't think so – I like to think of our inspirational quotes files (as I have one also called "Ideas for Sherri") as our own little dots of light that together form a beautiful constellation. I would love to read your blog, would you post a link please?

• Larry says:

Sherri,
      Thank you!! Your comment, unlike any of the others–or the article itself–moved me to the brink of tears.
      There is a greater purpose to putting up brief reminders, even in the midsts of "banal social-media" sites.
      People may just come across something that stops them in their tracks. And no one can say how poetry or sutras "should be" read or appreciated.

No better, no worse,
      Thank you.

• Sherri says:

Hi Larry – Oh my goodness thank you! As I just wrote to Sara I never write comments because I fear being misunderstood. And Mr. Waylon is right, inspirational quotes come at us left & right – but YOU are right because then one will just touch you in the heart or head and stop you in your tracks, perhaps even brings you to your knees (metaphorically :-) ) And if you stop and think of the power of that…
        Thank you & have a wonderful holiday!
        Sherri

• Emily says:

COMPLETELY agree with you, Sherri! I post quotes and images regularly, and I can't tell you how many friends have approached me to tell me how much it means to them or has touched them when they've needed it most. If it reaches one person for one moment at a poignant time in his/her life, it's worth it. We become what we absorb, thus, the more of this we hear, the more I believe it becomes a part of us!

• Sherri says:

Hi Emily –
        Thank you! And when I go back to a friend's post – one that touched me – I feel closer to them despite the miles between us. And I have had the experience, personally, of someone posting just the right thing at just the right time – and it was at a time that I was living very pulled into myself and avoiding feeling. For me it helped me overcome my fears and reach out. You keep posting, I'll keep absorbing!
        Bests,
        Sherri

• Sara says:

Well, I think you were pretty well understood then, and inspirational as well :).
      Sherri, if you just hover your mouse above my photo, you will see the link to my blog.
      Also, I had an article published here last week that you might want to read too.. .http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/06/making-friends-with-yoga-again-sara-foley/

• Tanya says:

Precisely. I dont like this feel of one-upmanship. I'm not often motivated to comment, and particularly on a thread like this where I fear I would lose the who is the most spiritual/yogic yadayadayada competition. I take the optimistic view that someone is posting a brief quote, because for at least a brief moment, it meant something to them. If. for at least a brief moment that means something to me, that can only be a good thing. Joining the dots between those moments is a personal journey that some people choose to take, or not, and at varying speeds. Let it BE.

8. slsimms says:

Mr. Lewis has a wonderful point…our spirituality does have a bit of fast food-ish feel to it. That may be all some people are willing to invest or afford presently which makes those pretty pictures and their pretty sayings so useful.

The important thing is, this is a community where people can be uplifted, incensed, informed, and ready to take on the world. I fully believe in militia journalism!

• yogasamurai says:

Make no mistake — Rumi's poetry is perfectly suited to fast food culture. You could read three poems over a single Big Mac, and grasp them perfectly well. We're not talking John Donne or Emily Dickinson here. Most mystical poetry is a bit like a passing hard-on – brief, intense, enjoyable, usually involving a pleasant release? .

• Sherri says:

I shudder to compare the words of poets or great polymaths to a Big Mac – words are powerful, words can bring you to your knees, words can rip a hole in your heart or fill the hole that is already there… A Big Mac, less so.

I love your concept of militia journalism! Bring it, I want to read it!! The bolder and truer the better.
      Sherri

9. Maria says:

i love rumi, and don't care if the person posting his poems is spiritual or living his words or not.
    he has the ability to stop my mind for a second and bring me deeper. keep 'em coming.
    i agree with sherri.

• elephantjournal says:

We all love Rumi. I'm not sure I know anyone who doesn't appreciate his provocative, peaceful wisdom. Again, that's not the point of this article, at all.

• Sherri says:

Me too – I just love the words, the ideas. And if spirituality really is of the moment, then in those moments we are feeling a very real spirituality – I think. I love the way you phrased it – those words or images stopped your mind (isn't that what we work SO hard to achieve in meditation?) and brought you deeper… deeper into your heart, your soul – I think that's a beautiful spirituality you have there!

10. yogasamurai says:

The Rumi fetish is fascinating because Rumi was actually in love with his Guru, Shams, who also had a Guru. And Rum's devotees were supremely jealous of Shams, and some believe they knocked him off, actually.

It's worth asking questions about this in light of other guru fetishes, which so often lead to real-world ecstatic unions, and Muse-like enchantments.

But why do so few produce memorable poetry? Or perhaps there's a John Friend/Anusara anthology in the works?

I know quite a few followers who are sitting on their own "Ode to my BFF."

11. Robin Turner says:

Well Rumi himself said "Poetry is tripe" (but then added "But people want tripe, so I write poetry").

12. nancey says:

If we (myself included) can remember that everyone is in a different place in their spiritual practice, we might not be so quick to judge what someone is putting on their FB page, or otherwise. I broke up with FB a couple years ago for the second and last time. I personally think FB is a waste of my time — but that doesn't mean I judge others who have a FB page. Or if I do, I recognize quickly that I'm making the judgment and move on. If the intention behind the quote is to share something positive, thought-provoking or serve as a reminder to come back to your practice, then I'm all for it. If it is designed to promote/market the person or their yoga business, I suppose that is a different story. Either way, unless I know the person, I'm just making up a story in my head — an assumption — so why not choose the story that sends you off in a positive direction. To coin another quote or having heard it enough it feels like a quote — how 'bout we meet everyone wherever they are on the mat, instead of the other way around? Secretly or not so secretly, I love what you're saying here and it's good to remember that everyone is just doing their best.

• @gmcheeseman says:

I agree with you. I don't use quotes from sources that have nourished my soul and mind to promote myself as a writer (on social media) because I find it spiritually repugnant. I don't judge when someone else does it, but for me, I just can't do that. It's not good for my soul. I do post insights, and even quotes on Facebook, and generally I post them in a group I started. I find that posting in the group with like-minded people allows me to explain in a deeper way than just my profile itself why a particular quote means so much to me.

13. @gmcheeseman says:

I think you bring up a good point. It's great to use social media to promote our brands, but sometimes I just want to share insights with people in a shorter manner than a blog post or article allows. Lately on Facebook when I put up a quote, I explain what that quote means to me. For instance, in a Facebook group I started called "Prayer requests" I put up a quote by Bruce Lee, and added about four or five sentences about how that quote is helping me to understand the symbolism of water in Christianity. I find that when I explain the importance of the quote in my life, I get better comments.

14. Chelsea Goodyear says:

Waylon,

Thank you for this article. It has caused me to evaluate my use of “fast-food poetry” (love that.)

For the past four months I have been in limbo. My husband and I have moved across the country with our son, to be with our family. Neither one of us have had a job since we moved here. Taking care of my son, and discovering my left brain have been my daily bread. A lot of my time has been spent online — consuming poetry, science, sustainable living practices, and a few other inspirators. I have used my Facebook page to expose others to much of my buffet. Sometimes I post something for someone specific, but I don’t include their name. I usually wonder if they have seen it, but I never ask. How do I know that it was actually for them anyways. Perhaps another received it into their heart that day, or even maybe not. Maybe I am getting warmed up to the idea of speaking to people about these things every time I talk to them. I can hope that when they do receive it, it becomes a light that draws them nearer to the depth of meditation. But it might not. Again, maybe it’s simply practice for myself, I don’t know. I would love to know that every time I experience a greater understanding, my brother or sister could experience the same.. it’s worth a shot I suppose.

I really don’t want to feel bad about blasting my Facebook with quotes, poetry, music, photography, lessons, that have all inspired me to slow, deepen, and love more. After reading this article though, I am feeling a sense of loss for all that was behind the majority of my posts…

Chelsea

• Chelsea says:

I would love to hear your thoughts.

• elephantjournal says:

Ah! The point is certainly not to feel bad, and it sounds like you're sharing from a point of view of learning, and hopefully inspiring others, so that sounds great. I think more that, personally speaking, I've seen new media rapidly shift toward the sharing of inspiration: pretty pictures and quotes…but nothing beyond that.

For instance, there's a photo on my wall of a little girl hugging an elephant. With a great quote via Emerson about friendship. I created that…in the sense that I put the two together, and shared it. I respect Emerson and I loooove elephants, and the notion that we as humans can connect with and befriend them.

But: elephants are nearly extinct in the wild. If I don't read up on the situation, and try and figure what little I can do re sharing the word, then this act of new media sharing is akin to, say, the oft-criticized hipster fashion http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/08/no-its-coo… of wearing a Native American headdress to a party, or Coachella, or wherever. It looks good, but smacks of callous "using," rather than meaningful relationship and compassionate action.

The world is wonderful, and magical…and, as in Lord of the Rings, say, much of it is being torn apart, even raped. We have to gather together to use social media for the greater good, and that includes our personal path of waking up. If we use it just to further our speed, and cheapen poetry, and art, and inspiration into trite, saccharine half-seconds of spirituality-lite, we're missing an opportunity for real joy and positivity and ordinary enlightenment.

• Chelsea says:

Thank you.
        Thank you.
        Thank you.

Moved to tears.

I truly look forward to further correspondence.

15. jane b. says:

I totally agree with your points here, Waylon. Though, with all due respect, I usually think of EJ as embodying that speedy, sound byte approach to journalism. Too often it seems like a battle for who can stick the catchiest title on their latest insubstantial gripes about spirituality. In fairness, there are great articles that get posted here, and EJ seems to reach, and thus benefit, a lot of people. Given the topic of your post, I'm wondering if you or anyone else feels similarly, and if so, what could be done about it?
    thanks,
    jane

• elephantjournal says:

I do feel similarly. I think most of the posts on elephant are okay-good, and some are great, and a few slip through, and I personally am embarrassed by them. I take my karma or role in sharing good news seriously, and don't particularly want to be a part of spiritual materialistic bullsh*t articles or speedy cheap articles, like the sort of "Kim Kardashian Nip Slip" "article" we see on so many blogs.

That said, we do have to swim in the waters of new media, and that means clear, strong, mysterious, inviting titles and images. Often, hopefully, the blog has depth or heart to it, humor, something genuine and worthwhile beyond eyecandy titles and images. I can't tell you how many times in the early years, moving online from our magazine days, that I spent a great deal of time writing up an issue I was passionate only to find it get almost zero attention—because it was about the environment, say, or had a simple straightforward title instead of something tantalizing…it's heartbreaking.

From my perspective, I see a lot of facile blame of government and corporations and media in our culture, and very little taking responsibility. Government could and should be beholden to We the People, but only 44% of us bother to vote. Corporations can't bullsh*t us with stupid ads unless we give them our money. And media is, too often, like the tail wagging the dog…they're chasing traffic, viewers, instead of leading. I take responsibility for falling into that, sometimes. Top 10 Lists? I find them silly, trite. But people click them. That sort of thing.

So we mess with the cliches. Hopefully we preserve some sense of making fun of ourselves and certainly we must keep our mission: to be of benefit. It's an urgent mission, these days.

16. Shona says:

Mirror Mirror on the wall who is the most spiritual of all?????

The role of social media (whatever we think of it)is recognised and utilised directly by many modern religious leaders, teachers and opinion formers as a means of reaching a great many people and were Rumi alive today perhaps he would would have had his own page.

Mr Lewis – you pressed a few buttons for me not least because I love and have been known to share Rumi quotes but also because I am an adult, capable of forming my own conclusions and making my own decisions and following my chosen path. I try to live a simple and
    honest life and not to water any more, the seeds of judgement and criticism in me. On Fb, I try to post or share from a place of, and with an emphasis on – joy, happiness, love, compassion, gratitude and kindness and health.

The posts I see on Fb – be they self promoting, repetitive, misquoting or operating within terms of reference similar to my own; whatever..The intention is usually palpable and that is what is most important.

However in my reaction to your post there has been more learning for me and I thank you for that. I see you too are prepared to learn from the mindful and helpful observations of others such as Robin, Nancey, Sherri and others and
    that is surely one of the greatest gifts that we can offer and accept from others.

So to finish, borrowing some great words from Rumi – Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.

17. KThorpe says:

Words point to an experience. You can stay with the nice sound of the words or you can seek the experience behind the words. It's up to the reader or listener to decide what to do with the words.

• elephantjournal says:

I agree, mostly. It's also up to leaders, teachers, media to share depth and context.

18. happytreepose says:

Hahaha, fantastic!! Totally true, there are a few too many pretty landscape pictures with words to inspire out there at the moment, which is a shame. Each quote/picture is usually very pretty and a nice reminder, but when you're bombarded with them all day on blogs/twitter/pinterest etc they all begin to lose their meaning…

Thanks for the food for thought, as someone who does blog and does use quotes from time to time its certainly good to remember to step back and decide if I'm adding to the conversation or just repeating like a parrot without actually thinking the message through…

19. Dee says:

Post your own lovely thoughts if you think they will inspire more sincerity. That is fair. But I too have found so many moments that, just for a second or two, I have made contact with my soul by reading Rumi on FB.

20. Angie says:

I'd much rather enjoy a lovely Rumi quote on someone's FB page, than to read what they ate for breakfast, what their last workout routine was, or why they are fighting with their loved one. More and more people these days are spreading positive, loving vibes instead of crap! That's all that matters :) Things are looking up! :)

• elephantjournal says:

Positive, loving vibes might help us feel good, but…say, yesterday, I shared up this: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/07/the-worlds… and 1/1,000,000th the folks read it as our average happy inspiring quote. Facing reality is, ultimately, more positive for others and our Mother Earth, often, than hugging ourselves with a pretty picture.

That said, respect to Rumi! There's plenty of room for both.

21. tony f says:

Lately I've been skipping over the inspirational quotes in my feeds. But half way through the article, I had that magic "ah ha moment" when for the hundredth time I read:
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” ~ Rumi
    Either way, if an overused quote lights a single person up, it was worth posting. Thanks for posting this and for keeping it positive!

• elephantjournal says:

Amen. I personally love that quote. Again, this post is more about taking the time to slow down, if only once in awhile, going deeper, and really honoring Neruda, Thoreau, Twain, Rumi, Hafiz, King…whomever the quote is from.

22. [...] helpful if your best efforts aren’t inspiring you enough to adore the gift of your life and as Rumi says, “kneel and kiss the [...]

23. [...] Twain, C.S. Lewis and “Anonymous.” Whoever said it, it’s important to remember. We get so speedy and busy. We worry about lots of different things we need to have or do, that in the long run might not matter [...]

24. [...] quote about adversity. You can’t handle every difficult situation in life by throwing Rumi quotes at a Facebook Wall and hoping one [...]

25. Patrycja says:

I can be totally guilty of spreading too many words and not letting them process. I do think, however, that if people are attracted to the organization I work with because of a good message, then heck yeah! Most importantly, though, thanks for your article; I appreciate the call for embodiment of the words we use.

26. [...] give a lot of talks on how to do social media right. I gave one two days ago, as part of the Unreasonable Climax. In it I emphasized that, really, even when you’re swimming in a digital world, we [...]

27. [...] Western culture, we like the slogan idea. We love sharing inspirational quotes (especially on Facebook!), but we often gravitate towards the superficial, happy “everything is great” style [...]

28. [...] Rumi quotes alone will not save you. I am so grateful that poets such as Rumi, Rilke, and Hafiz march their way wall to wall on Facebook. The poets alone cannot save us until we internalize their words. There words will effect us over time. Allow them to walk ephemerally in and out of our consciousness. [...]

29. [...] AC is on full blast 8. Worrying about your love life, consoling self with trite, soon-forgotten, loosely translated Rumi quotes on Pinterest 9. surfing the internet, reading articles with funny headlines that make you feel even worse about [...]

30. [...] can be typed out with quotes around it, but very few deserve to be Photoshopped over a sunset and posted on Pinterest. The yoga world has been up to their crown chakra with these things for as long as I can remember. So [...]

31. [...] I’ve found myself getting lost in a sea of chia-seed appreciation groups, love hearts and Rumi quotes. This non-stop bombardment of information feels more like a fancy marketing strategy than a [...]

32. [...] Positivity is no longer just a New Agey spiritualist‘s naive obsession. It’s no longer a teenage dream. It’s gone mainstream through yoga classes and greeting cards and half-baked faux-Rumi quotes on Facebook. [...]

33. [...] $300 in Wah!, Krisna Das and Deva Premal. How could I not bring my future students the words of Rumi, Mary Oliver, Lalla, and Hafiz? Into the bag went the sacred music and [...]

34. [...] think you messed it up. I need to read a professional meditation teacher, like Rumi, I [...]

35. Lokken says:

This is super-cynical and presumptuous. How do you know what people do with positive quotes?
    Bashing positivity like this does not create enlightened society in my book. You are creating more karma,
    in fact causing ME to create Karma by writing this. I have a headache. Are you doing this in the name of Shambhala?

36. Sense says:

This is one of the most pretentious things that I’ve ever read.

37. JenG says:

When spirituality is broken down into easy-to-understand bullet-point lists, and 5 Free (or Cheap!) Ways to Find Your Center, then is has become marketable.

But you still have to chop the wood and carry the water.

• Ginnie Dickinson says:

And that’s the gist, I think. If you are chopping the wood and carrying the water, these shared snippets of philosophy and poetry will remind you of the whole body of work and its layers of meaning, but if you aren’t, it’s just another method of relentless consumption.

38. allison says:

HA i love this! well written..

39. elephantjournal says:

Shireen Q Sufis like Rumi (and HIS mentor, Shams of Tabriz) would hate over consumption and social sharing of sound bytes like the one you mention in your article. It goes against everything they believe in.

Love,
    A Sufi

Shireen Q "I find these “Facebook Rumi”s as a sign of contemporary individualistic, feel-good consumerism that is interested in “individual experience” more than any type of spiritual transformation." – by Omid Safi

Jessica Johnson I love Rumi, but this is funny.

Elephant Journal We love him too! So let's learn about him, more, let's go deeper!

Jessica Johnson I used to teach Rumi to 10th graders – great experience!!

Leila J OK guilty. Rumi has the best quotes ever & I love them. But I did know that his birthday was a couple days ago & there is a big festival of celebration marking it.

Kalika H Hahaha …..

Jenneen C: Love it, Funny, cause it true! But … it's RUMI so could we ever go wrong!?!

Sarah Z: Rumi is my crack cocaine

Joanne M: Rumi would appreciate this

Jackie G noooooo

40. Jenna B. Wiser says:

There can only be two important questions that are asked with regard to human relationships:

1). Where am I going?

2). Who is going with me

Do not invert the order of these questions.

Now that we have that clear remember this:

What we find in a soulmate is not something wild to tame, but something wild to run with.

And that concludes this session of “Deep Thoughts” by Jack Handey. :)

41. Stacey B says:

Awesome. Waylon – I like your style. I want to type something in here to everyone who’s being overly sensitive like, “go eat (an ethically raised) steak and get over it, but is probably get in trouble. As I traveled on Grateful Dead tour I had a book of Rumi poems and a copy of The Prophet. Let’s start a trend of everyone quoting Gibran!

42. Rachel says:

I can’t tell if you are pro or anti black swan but for what it’s worth when I visited Austin recently I was sure to take a class at the studio only because we followed each other on Instagram and I wanted to put a name to the face plus I enjoy their posts.

It was a great class.

43. jaleeza says:

Is it wrong that I immediately Pinned this article? Valid points. :-)

44. Ginnie Dickinson says:

I enjoy the excerpts of Rumi’s work that cross my feed because they DO remind me of his greater body of work and its meaning.
    The same is true of all the poets, philosophers, poets, mystics, and musicians I’ve encountered in my life. Then again, I had a few decades prior to the advent of social media to experience life and literature first hand.
    I think the meme-based “quote mania” of modern social media is a double-edged sword: for one thing, almost no one seems aware of the grammatical fact that “quote” and “quotes” are verbs, and the corresponding noun is “quotation”.
    It is a little too easy to graze on these snippets, like using snack foods to replace nourishing meals.
    On the other hand, if these excerpts do encourage the people they touch to read the original works, and creating/sharing the memes helps us recognize like-minded souls out there in the virtual world, helping us to create communities, I find some value in that.
    I prefer it to relentless recaps of people’s workout regimens, or trite , not-inspiring-at-all memes with cliches like “everything happens for a reason”.

45. sparkleduck2014 says:

Lighten up. And the yogis @ Black Swan have a great sense of humor. They mostly post things that are legitimately funny, and not already posted ad nauseam anywhere else.

You gotta love people complaining about the very readership benefiting them on facebook.

You know what I dislike? Sites that provide a link to something I'd like to read, and upon my clicking it, asking me to pay for a subscription first. How dare they make money by using such an obvious marketing scheme?

46. loveyogalivewell says:

Sorry, but Waylon's right. What good is a brief moment of 'inspiration' ala Rumi/The DL or Gandhi or whoever else is the quote of the day when we don't live it and digest it….and we can't possibly digest it all at the rate these things are shared. It's just like, yeah that's nice…how lovely…move on…and we still behave in the same way as we did before. Maybe not the best example, but it's like if you swear every time you open your mouth, it loses its meaning and impact and becomes just another part of general conversation…If you're going to consume it, take time, sit down with it, really think on it and move forward with awareness. Those who are objecting so vehemently are missing the point entirely. Take a breath, unjerk your knees and chill the hell out. Try to understand what he's saying and you'll see that the man makes a good point

47. Thomas says:

Honestly, don't you think there are more important things to give your attention to?