But some children play to be invisible.
According to ChildHelp:
- >>A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
- >>*More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.2
- >>Approximately 80 percent of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4. 1
- >>It is estimated that between 50-60 percent of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates. 3
- >>More than 90 percent of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way. 4
- >>Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- >>About 30 percent of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse. 5
- >>About 80 percent of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder. 5
- >>The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion.
This is a problem that won’t go away until we talk about it.
If you are a parent who struggles with your anger, ask for help. If you were abused and are concerned about passing the legacy on to your own children, ask for help. If you suspect children you know are in an abusive situation, get help.
Children are meant to be seen and heard—and loved.
Like elephant family on Facebook
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 612 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 3 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,071 share Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 2,441 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 1,011 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,322 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,392 share If you Want Him, you must Claim Him. 772 shares