Via on Jul 1, 2012

Does this frighten you?

Browse more data visualizations.

It horrifies me.

You want to do something this week to change the world? Help someone learn how to read.

“Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope. It is a tool for daily life in modern society. It is a bulwark against poverty, and a building block of development, an essential complement to investments in roads, dams, clinics and factories. Literacy is a platform for democratization, and a vehicle for the promotion of cultural and national identity. Especially for girls and women, it is an agent of family health and nutrition. For everyone, everywhere, literacy is, along with education in general, a basic human right…. Literacy is, finally, the road to human progress and the means through which every man, woman and child can realize his or her full potential.”

~ Kofi Annan

Relephant and fun bonus from the wonderful folks at Reading is Fundamental:

Like elephant literary on Facebook.

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is the strongest girl in the world. She is the love child of a pirate and a roller derby queen. She hails from the second star to the right. Her love of words is boundless, but she knows that many of life’s best moments are completely untranslatable. When she is not writing, you may find her practicing yoga, devouring a book, playing with her children, planting dandelions, or dancing barefoot with her heart on her sleeve. She is madly in love with life and does not know how this story ends; she’s making it up as she goes. Kate is the owner and editor-in-chief of Be You Media Group. She also writes for The Huffington Post, elephant journal, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, Yoganonymous, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. She facilitates writing workshops and retreats throughout North America. Heart Medicine, Kate's book on writing, is now available on Amazon.com You can follow Kate on Facebook and Twitter

15 Responses to ““The Number of American Adults who Are Functionally Illiterate Increases by 2.25 Million each Year.””

1. slsimms says:

This makes me sad but I'm not exactly sure where the blame goes.

I have a student that that I speak to occasionally on Google 0, or whatever that's called…and it is tough to read her writing at times. She has dreams of owning her own business and going to college; I want to encourage her.

Reading has to be instilled early on. Thanks for the reminder Kate!

2. slsimms says:

Sorry, I meant to write only one *that* >.<

3. Howie says:

We need to get back to the basics: Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. It really isn't difficult.

4. Howie says:

I know I had a difficult time with math when I was in school. Mostly because I couldn't see how I would use it on a daily basis (beyond basic math). When I joined the Navy after high school, it was like an epiphany as I now suddenly had a use for something that seemed pointless at the time. Algebra, geometry and basic calculus became the norm for me (I never got past Algebra II in school). My point for the above is maybe letting students know that there is a use for these things and how they can apply it in their daily lives. Perhaps this would ignite the fires of creativity again.

5. Lars says:

What is the reference sited, #2, for percentage of juvenile offenders functionally illiterate?

6. John S. Patterson says:

Notice the proof of the old adage. The presence of the Southern states in this kind of graph is consistent. Why? "You can't keep a man or a woman down in the ditch unless you stay down there with them." Keeping blacks down has made it very difficult for the Euro-descended to rise.

7. marko says:

Two things: ned to pay more attention to the math scores. We can't do math. 50 million are functionally illiterate, but barely more than 50 million americans are math literate. Too often writers bemoan the lack of literacy, because they themselves can read and write well. But they don't know how to feel about math literacy, because often they are not math literate. When you don't understand mathematical reasoning, you get manipulated by those who do.
    Second, we don't need to sacrifice student self-esteem. That is one area where countries around the world send researchers to learn from our school systems, because it leads to innovation and risk taking in later life.

8. janesauric says:

American children are given too much, they like to play their electronic games and they have become lazy.

9. Judy H. says:

I can read, unfortunately I cannot read the microscopic print that lists the resources of these facts and figures.