“If life hands you a lemon say ‘Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?'” ~ Henry Rollins
I’ve never gotten the whole “life giving you lemons” analogy.
Lemons are awesome!
A friend asked me why I go through a whole bag of lemons most weeks. Here’s why:
1. Start your day with water and lemon for an instant healthy energizer.
2. Put a leftover piece of lemon in your garbage disposal to freshen it up.
3. Cheap and natural fruit and veggie wash: one tablespoon lemon juice, one tablespoon white vinegar and one cup of water in a spray bottle.
4. Add a squeeze of lemon to the water when you are cooking rice. It keeps it from sticking and adds a small amount of flavor.
5. Natural highlights! Put a little lemon juice in your hair before you go out in the sun.
6. Throw a few handfuls of Romaine, half a pear and the juice of one lemon in the blender. Green Lemonade!
7. Dip half a lemon in salt and use to scrub brass or silver (and polish up your sink).
8. Lemon Bars:
9. Clear out a phlegmy cold with half a lemon, some fresh ginger, honey and hot water.
10. Clean a wooden cutting board: sprinkle it with coarse salt and then rub down with the lemon and rinse.
11. Make fruits and veggies last longer. Squeeze a little lemon juice on greens and any fruit that’s been sliced to keep it from oxidizing.
12. Keep ants (and other bugs) away. A little lemon juice and water around doorways can keep them away and doesn’t make you (or your pets) sick.
13. Add a teaspoon of lemon zest to pretty much anything you bake. It’s a great “Mmm…what’s did you use in this?” ingredient.
14. Throw a slice in some Earl Grey tea mid-afternoon. The citrus plus the small amount of caffeine is great to perk you up but not leave you sleepless come bedtime.
15. Lemon Sugar body scrub: Equal parts raw sugar and jojoba or apricot kernel oil plus the zest of one lemon. Put it all in a empty jam jar and it makes a cute gift too.
16. Dry some lemon peel and add mint for homemade herbal tea.
17. Throw half a lemon in your dishwasher to freshen it and the dishes.
18. Make my favorite quinoa salad: Take two cups cooked quinoa, juice of half a lemon, red onion, diced tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, one cup black beans (cooked or BPA-free canned), a little EVOO and a little sea salt. Chill it. You’re welcome!
19. Use lemon juice to get ballpoint pen off your clothes. (Seems to happen to me as soon as I buy a new shirt.)
20. Make Limoncello.
21. Skip the bleach. Soak white stuff in equal parts lemon juice and baking soda.
22. Squeeze them in people’s eyes.
23. Just kidding! Skip #22. But lemon juice is great as a toner for your skin.
24. Skip the candles. Let some sliced lemon and rosemary or lavender simmer on the stove.
25. And of course, you can also make lemonade.
Like elephant journal on Facebook.
hot on elephant
Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 1 share A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,463 share 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 46,132 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,291 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 566 shares I’m Done being your Dirty Little Secret. 1,005 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 477 shares Ten Things I’ve Learned from Not Getting Wasted. 1,395 share Why Some Loves feel Unfinished, even After we’ve Let Go. 649 shares In Case they Never Told You: a Powerful Message for New Mothers. 966 shares