#1. The “world’s largest and most devastating environmental industrial project” is situated there.
Scroll down for the remaining 18 facts about the Boreal Forest.
But before you do, I hope you’ll watch Garth Lenz present his photos and the impact of tar sands mining in this moving, unforgettable TED talk video.
Your Voice Counts!
More about Garth Lenz.
TED speaker Garth Lenz’s work as a photojournalist has won him top awards at Pris de la Photographie Paris and the International Photography Awards. He is also a fellow of the International League of Conservation Photographers. His solo exhibition featuring the Alberta Tar Sands, “The True Cost of Oil” premiered in 2011.
Eighteen more Facts about the Boreal Forest (via Canadian Geographic):
- 53 percent of land in Canada is covered by boreal forest.
- 25 percent of the world’s boreal forests lie within Canada’s borders.
- Several million litres of water are absorbed and filtered in the boreal forest every day.
- 80 percent of the world’s unfrozen fresh water supply is found in Canada’s boreal forest.
- More than 500 indigenous communities live in the boreal region
- 1.5 million lakes are distributed throughout the boreal forest
- Up to five billion birds—about 200 species—breed in the boreal region.
- 35 waterfowl species use the boreal forest.
- 60 percent of Canada’s bird population can be found in the boreal regions.
- 40 percent of North America’s migratory waterfowl use the boreal forest.
- 20 tree species can be found in the boreal region.
- 5,000 species of fungi grow in boreal forests.
- Water bodies include: bogs, fens, marshes, shallow lakes, rivers, and wetlands
- 94 percent of Canada’s boreal forest is publicly owned.
- More than 30 percent of boreal forest has been allocated to industry.
- 90 percent of logging in Canada’s boreal forest is clearcutting
- 30 percent of boreal region is within a kilometer of a road.
- 85,000 migratory bird nests were lost in 2001 due to logging.
- We need to stop the tar sands from ruining it.
Like elephant green & enlightened society on facebook.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,359 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017’s First Full Moon in Cancer: Everything we Want is on the Other Side of Fear. 22,475 shares Why I Snort Raw Cacao. 8,923 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 1,940 share If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 6,076 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,202 shares The Power of Saying “He’s just Not into Me.” 1,752 share How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 133 shares You’ve Ruined Me for Anyone Else. 1,690 share