Boycott these Organic & “Natural” Traitors.

Via on Aug 23, 2012

These organic and natural companies sold out to the Man, and paid good money to defeat GMO transparency (supported by 90% of US) in California

Update: Here’s a (full-size) graphic listing a (smaller) number of wonderful companies worth supporting.

~

From Horizon Organic:

Really appreciate you reaching out to us directly about this and completely understand your concerns about GMO labeling. Want to inform you that we’re no longer at all affiliated with Dean Foods. Last year, our company WhiteWave Foods, actually took steps to separate from Dean with our IPO and we became a standalone public company. Dean Foods recently completed the spin-off of their stake in our company.

Want to also point out that we’ve never supported or contributed to the opposition of GMO labeling, in fact it’s quite the opposite. We choose to put our contributions behind the Just label It! organization and their GMO labeling efforts nationally. You can read more about this here: http://justlabelit.org/partners/. Our company, WhiteWave, has a very clear stance in support of GMO labeling and has to date donated nearly $1 million in support of various GMO labeling and non-GMO causes.

We remain focused on our support for these important issues and hope to win you back sometime in the future. We welcome and open and transparent dialogue, so if you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us anytime.

My response: Yes–there’s dialogue at the top of this (year old) blog with Silk, same family. They did, of course, contribute quite directly to fighting GMO labeling for as long as they were owned by Dean.

yours,

Way

Got a response from Silk, to their credit. I left a message on their wall about my below post:

Say it ain’t so. I’ve loved you for years! These Organic & “Natural” Sell-outs are spending $100,000s backing Monsanto & others fighting CA’s GMO Labeling initiative. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/08/boycott-these-organic-natural-traitors/

Boycott these Organic & “Natural” Traitors.

www.elephantjournal.com

Big Brands buy Organic Sell-Outs, donate to anti-GMO labeling bill.

• Silk Hey Waylon,
    Just want to be clear, we aren’t opposed to Prop 37 and we do actually support GMO labeling. For more details on our stance we hope you’ll take a look at our blog post here: http://bit.ly/P3OUCTThanks for reaching out to us directly.
  • Waylon Lewis: Yes, I love you guys, but your parent company (which controls the purse strings, it seems?) is working at direct cross purposes. Please let us at elephant and our readers know how we can support your organic brands without supporting your parent company?

• As you know…consumers can eat healthfully, eat real food, if we’re informed—but only if!

“Organic Brands Back Campaign to Defeat GMO Labeling”

Big Brands buy Organic Sell-Outs, donate to anti-GMO labeling bill.

Labeling? You’re afraid of honesty? Transparency? Consumer choice? You’d better be: because we’re effing boycotting you. Who’s with me?

Shame on you, Bear Naked, Honest Tea, Muir Glen, Larabar, Dagoba, White Wave/Silk, Horizon, Odwalla, Naked Juice, and others below. Many of these are brands, and founders, whom I have known and loved.

Yet another consequence of selling out to The Man? The Man will use you, and your erstwhile loyal customers, to sell us all out.

Forgot why we don’t love GMOs? Here’s 10 Reasons Why.

For more.

• And here’s a list of brands we love that’ve been bought up and sold out and are directly funding the GMOers:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Gold Medal Organic
    • Larabar
    Bimbo Bakeries* $338,300
    • Earth Grains
    DelMonte $189,975
    • DelMonte brand organic pickles
    • DelMonte brand organic canned tomato products
    • Fruit Naturals
    • Pace Organic
    • Campbell’s Organic
    • Bolthouse Farms
    McCormick $248,200
    • McCormick Organic Spices

About elephant journal

47 Responses to “Boycott these Organic & “Natural” Traitors.”

1. guest says:

are you sure? I looked it up last year and SILK was on the list of non GMO foods. Also, Odwalla states explicitly on their label that they are not using genetically modified stuff. (it's impossible to miss. I had a bottle yesterday)

can someone clarify who is lying here?

• elephantjournal says:

Read above—it's generally the parent companies. Click the link. That said, the parent companies call the shots—as did Dean when it changed Silk, overnight, from the world's largest organic product, a right livelihood product intended to benefit everyone it touched along the way from production to consumption to recycle bin—into a "natural" product.

2. keile says:

this isn't saying those items have gmo's in them it's saying that the companies that own the brands donate to not have to have any labeling saying they have gmo's in them. they are buying out organic companies and using them to get themselves into the good graces of people who don't pay attention or look into things… it's sad. they don't want anything to do with organic 'crap' as they see it but they have to cause the masses are moving that way.

3. [...] Here’s a list of other GMO supporters that you should boycott, provided by ElephantJournal.com. [...]

4. Sandra says:

Why would a company pay to keep GMO foods hidden from consumers unless they are already "hiding" that fact? Lying about it won't get them into trouble unless it is a law. Anyone who pays to keep the public uninformed is not a company worth getting any of my support. We must fight GMO! Thanks for the list of traitors.

5. Stefanie says:

6. yoga chick says:

On one hand I see your point BUT on the other I actually think we could do more good but actively purchasing the organic (no GMOs) brands from these large corporations because the more people choosing the Non GMO products the more the corporation will wake up to the fact that this what the public wants and they will focus more on those brands. If people stop buying the organics then the corporations will drop those lines and the public and the organic industry will suffer. So in my opinion we should actively boycott all the GMO brands from theses corporations and purchase all the Non GMOs to send the correct message of what the consumer demands. They will give us what we pay for.

• elephantjournal says:

I agree generally, and it's a worthy discussion. But GMOs—you don't go back. Once corn, soy, etc are 100% GMO—and they're nearly there in only 10 plus years of GMOs—organic will be less than an endangered species—it'll be dead, a thing of the past.

• Kindnessalltheway says:

I disagree, primarily on the basis that even when you support these brands/corporations, you are still FUNDING their entire corporation. So your money is actually going to ALSO support all the GMO stuff they actively produce as well. What it comes down to, for me, is that you vote with your dollar. I don't give a crap if P&G (who now owns New Chapter vitamins btw) or any of the other big corps out there own some smaller, organic companies, in the end I'm still lining their pockets if I buy their products. I won't do that, it's not the kind of world I want to live in. I'd rather support local markets/products/make my own than give my dollars to these giant corporations whose real motive is certainly not a healthy planet/people/or compassion toward animals.

• papa_tom says:

how about continuing to support the industry by purchasing organically grown products from companies that don't have to funnel profits to a parent company that is using that money to do things that directly oppose the primary intent of organic practice? Why not keep that money in the hands of people who will use it wisely?

If those ethical companies get our support, they will grow and succeed. And THAT will make a far greater statement to those big food conglomerates. If they want our money, they're gonna have to walk the talk, and not just skim profits off of an organic label.

7. Andrew says:

I was going to say something nearly identical to yoga chick. Support their positive products and boost those profits and you'll see more of them in the future. Companies don't care about anything but profits and if the profits change their products will too.

8. Ray says:

So just to be safe, we should boycott eating and the purchase of any product….buy nothing eat nothing and the world will be a better place!

• elephantjournal says:

Agreed! Got you covered: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/12/ten-steps-

But, seriously, buying "real" food, that's less processed, that's not grown in poison, that's fresh instead of shipped, that's bought with less packaging from "real" Americans—small business owners we call farmers—is a good way to go.

• guest says:

you can't grow that much food without a certain amount of pesticides. (even "organic" does not mean "unsprayed") Unless you want tons of people starving… organic (which is a scam) is only affordable to the affluent part, even in america.

• guestie says:

I was going to write something similar. I support a CSA. I grow a ton of stuff in my backyard garden. Lucky for me, I have the $ and the space to do such things. Yet come winter, there's not much growing. And I'm not eating turnips and apples for all of the winter months. Can't get citrus, because, well, that's not local. Can't hunt, because that's non-yogic. Guess I'll just starve. Oh, that's right, there's already a good portion of the world, including Americans, that are going hungry already. To do right by them, we should eliminate pesticides, stop shipping food across the world to save our carbon footprint and reduce global warming, and continue to let farming decline because nothing will grow in abundance to support the world population. Cool. Wait, is that against ahimsa too?

• guestie says:

Oh yeah, forgot to add, every now and then I just want a bowl of freaking cereal. I don't want to make my own granola. Just a box of Kellogs, thanks. Don't judge.

• another guest says:

I'm not certain, but I don't think the article was written to judge you for eating a freaking bowl of Kellogs every so often, or not wanting to make your own granola. I don't think it's judging people that can't afford to buy organics either.

If anything, the article is judging so called "organic" companies that are in fact supporting GMOs. It's highlighting this so that people have the choice of not inadvertently voting pro-GMO by supporting these companies. This is not the same thing as judging you as a consumer, that might choose to by non-organic products now and again.

I agree that there are people that get all up in your face and judgemental for not buying organic, and that's annoying. But I think you're bringing that knee jerk reaction to those type of people to this article. This article's not judging you. chill out.

9. elephantjournal says:

An intelligent, respectful response from Silk: Say it ain't so. I've loved you for years! These Organic & "Natural" Sell-outs are spending $100,000s backing Monsanto & others fighting CA's GMO Labeling initiative. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/08/boycott-th
    Boycott these Organic & “Natural” Traitors. http://www.elephantjournal.com
    Big Brands buy Organic Sell-Outs, donate to anti-GMO labeling bill.
    Like · · Share

Silk Hey Waylon,
    Just want to be clear, we aren't opposed to Prop 37 and we do actually support GMO labeling. For more details on our stance we hope you'll take a look at our blog post here: http://bit.ly/P3OUCT

Thanks for reaching out to us directly.
    bit.ly
    The Grazing Mind is a blog about current and social events related to the products, culture and business of WhiteWave.
    about an hour ago · Unlike · 1
    Waylon Lewis Yes, I love you guys, but your parent company (which controls the purse strings, it seems?) is working at direct cross purposes. Please let us at elephant and our readers know how we can support your organic brands without supporting your parent company?
    a few seconds ago · Like

• Sue says:

I read their blog and this line shows why they may not want to HAVE to label GMO in their products.
      "Today 85 percent of our products are non-GMO, and we are working to move additional ingredients in our portfolio to non-GMO."

10. Anusour says:

“Traitor” implies that they were ever

on your side to begin with.

11. elephantjournal says:

Jenny Liz WOW that is a kick in the can. Thanks companies.
    about an hour ago · Like
    Maya Deren An endless list.
    about an hour ago · Like
    Sandy Foster I knew Dagoba would go downhill once they were bought out by the big man. :( Dang it!
    about an hour ago · Unlike · 1
    Ann Quirk Sadly , many on that list aren't surprising ……when you look at their labels and they list 'spices' and/or Palm Kernal Oil, you know the word Organic means nothing to them……pathetic.
    about an hour ago via mobile · Like
    Wendy Francisco How SAD. I really liked Naked and bought it all the time. No more tho.
    about an hour ago · Like
    Melissa Dressel Paschke Cascadian farms!??!
    about an hour ago via mobile · Like
    Lulu Northern I wrote to Horizon and got this response…..their reasoning is a ploy/distraction because the only way their will be a chance for national change is if Prop 37 passes…. ."Over the past few days, we've seen a lot of posts related to GMOs and want to share the facts with you. 100% of our Horizon products are certified organic, and part of that certification requires that we do not use GMOs.

We support efforts
    like California’s current GMO labeling initiative (Prop. 37) at the national level, not the state level. Why? Because fifty different states making fifty different laws on a subject are difficult for our brand to negotiate. We prefer one strong national standard.

For more detail as to why we feel this way, please check out our company blog here – http://bit.ly/P3OUCT

We respect the opinions expressed on this page and want to ensure that you have the facts you need to form those opinions.

Thanks for your interest.
    bit.ly
    about an hour ago · Edited · Like · 1 ·
    Lulu Northern If you click on the link you will see other responses
    about an hour ago · Like

12. Laura says:

What is Bimbo asterisk for?

13. pushbuttonkitty says:

maybe it would be easier if we could just get a list of ones we can support without it weighing on our conscience. because seriously, you just listed every single brand that’s available for sale here in my area. i don’t think i can anything organic in my town that isn’t on this list.

14. Catbirdog says:

Two things. One, I was a single mom living in the poverty line, and still chose to eat organic. So the idea that organic is only for the affluent is bullshit. We walked to the river 3X a week and picked a basket of fresh, edible “weeds”, which helped both my daughter and myself learn about nature’s true abundance. Secondly, companies like Silk are not arguing that they are organic – they are saying they don’t want GMO labeling. If this gets pushed through in CA, we are going to see many other states jumping on the labeling bandwagon. These companies are fighting to defeat CA because they know if it passes there, it will pass in other states.
    *pushbuttonkitty – are there no local farmer’s markets where you live? Cuz most good organics are the ones grown locally. If you can get to a farmer’s market once a month even, there are ways to freeze, can and dry much of the seasonal produce to be used at a later date.

I find there are less and less brands of ANYTHING I can buy with consciousness these days. Thank goodness for community gardens, CSA’s, farmer’s markets and freezers!

15. Karen says:

I say shame on these organic and healthy companies selling their business to the Man in the first place.

16. juliahelenrice0110 says:

Thanks for the information! The NYTimes had a similar article on what is being okayed as organic: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/business/organi… Pretty upsetting stuff for me.

17. poipoundher says:

Can you please create a list of organic companies who are not selling out? I believe we vote with our dollar, I would like to support the right organizations. Thank you.

18. @conviventia says:

I don't think the point is achieve complete purity or go to hell. The point is, buying food means making choices, so make informed ones. If there are a dozen soy milks to choose from, grab the one that doesn't support poisoning agriculture for short-term profit. In other cases, there aren't as many options.

Some non-sellouts are listed here: http://blissreturned.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/fin

Amy's
    Arrowhead Mills (depending on your view of Hain)
    Eden Organic
    Nature's Path
    Newman's
    Organic Valley

Also:
    Ben and Jerry's is owned by Unilever
    Tom's of Maine is owned by Colgate
    Green & Black’s is owned by Kraft

19. [...] the wood or attach a piece of fine-grained recycled paper if you’d like it to look a bit fancier. Label your foods,too. This is a great way to inform guests about your organic and local menu items and is also [...]

20. Tessea says:

Very interesting post, i share on Twitter !

21. [...] Find out what natural and organic companies (or their parent companies) are contributing to defeat Proposition 37 [...]

22. [...] to talk food. The intent is to listen, discuss and share ancient traditions and new innovations in food production and consumption. This year, Slow Food selected me to attend as a participant, and further as a Slow Food Congress [...]

23. [...] Even the so-called “good guys” are often not so great (as in the recent case of the GMO law defeat in California or Trader Joe’s many [...]

24. [...] products is also better for the environment; buying natural cleaning products helps to support green companies, but if cost is an issue people can still participate in eco-friendly cleaning practices by making [...]

25. At this time this similar article really too important. this is a completely time able and useful content for all of us. a lot of thanks for thine impressive as well as demotic also information able content. besides, you can check our "best soy sauce"

26. Aleeza says:

I'm fairly certain its not these individual brands that donated the big $$$ to anti-GMO labeling rather their corporate owners.rutile in quartz

27. seharpro says:

Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.
    <a href="http://www.theworldofpillow.com” target=”_blank”>www.theworldofpillow.com

28. Food is essential for every organism, whatever the food maybe. But among these organic orchid food or beverages are very useful or essential for us. Diet also plays a vital role in everyone's life. A proper diet gives a healthy life. Green vegetables are rich in organic substances and easily available in market, we also preserve it. I think this blog is a very important lesson for everyone.

29. another guest says:

Maybe not exactly the same, but close enough…

The point is that if you believe you're only supporting organics and not supporting GMOs, you need to look more closely into who owns the "organic" product/company. By supporting these companies that got bought out, you're actually supporting the larger parent companies that are trying to kill prop 37.