An Open Letter to the Muslim Protestors…

Via on Sep 16, 2012

Aggression only feeds aggression. Generosity produces peace.

“Similar to the point this Slate article is making.”

Welcome, common sense and straight talking: if we believe so hard in anything that we would fall into aggression in the name of pride or defending said religion, we’re missing the point of our own faith or practice.

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

19 Responses to “An Open Letter to the Muslim Protestors…”

1. believer in humanity says:

From an anynonymous friend of mine who is from Tehran, Iran but has been an American citizen for at least 10 years, and is an upstanding grad student at a well recognized university:

I'm proud of my ethnicity which is Persian. But I'm not a religious person. I saw the movie. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The purpose of the film was to ridicule Muslims and their prophet. Whoever made that film was quite aware of its consequence. People in middle east have lived under dictatorships for centuries. They want democracy but they don't fully understand the meaning of it. They don't understand that freedom of speech means that an ignorant person is allowed by law to make such a movie.
    They think the American government has something to do with this movie because in their countries all movies have to be get approved by their governments. These people have been living in very closed societies. You can't expect much from them.
    They deeply believe in conspiracy theory. In their mind there is always something going on behind the scene.

2. osibisa says:

wow, surprise surprise, a white australian telling non-white australians to 'go back to where they came from' if they intend to practice their right to free speech and assembly in response to someone else practicing their right to free speech….

3. maxe says:

I think you've missed the point obisbia…
    He is pointing out that these guys are giving fuel to every racist that says 'go back to where you came from'.

4. MaudlinMusee says:

Osibisa, if all the protesters did was assemble and speak, I would say you could have a point. Did you somehow miss the part about throwing rocks, murder, and arson?

5. Trista says:

I agree with your title and what I *hope* you are trying to convey here. But the open letter strikes me as very racist, and not at all helpful.

The majority of Muslims around the world are peaceful people. I invite you to look at another Muslim perspective that Western media rarely covers.

6. John L says:

I also think that blaming this on a video/movie that no one has even seen is a lame excuse. On the anniversary of 9/11? More Americans have been murdered eleven years later. No, it's not a movie, something much, much bigger is at play here. If we accept that all this happened over a movie, we've fallen for the diversion and are missing out on the bigger picture.

7. @Suri_k8 says:

I dont think Islam and democracy are compatible.

8. azphoenix says:

I think there's still a lot of separation between the cultures here in Australia. It's pretty young when compared to countries in Europe where migration has been happening for much much longer and where the different cultures have learned to live together. There is still that separation, both geographically and mentally. Personally, I grew up in a multi-cultural community. I was born, and still am a Muslim, but I grew up with neighbours who were Christians, Hindus and Buddhists. My mother sent me to a Catholic Missionary School from the age of 7 to 17 where among my closest group of friends were made up of Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, Catholics and an Athiest and it has made all the difference. So on the one hand, I think Muslims should be brave enough to open up and integrate with other cultures, but on the other hand, I think it takes more than one so called "group" of people opening up. There needs to be some sort of dialogue started, something that promotes integration. How did they do it in the UK? How did they do it in France? How did they do it in the countries where Mr. Smith's kids are playing at the park after school with Mr. Abdullah, Mr. Cohen, Mr. Lim and Mr. Raja's kids while their mothers are exchanging recipes over the fence? I know it makes me sound like an optimistic fool, but there are places where this is not just a possibility but a way of life. And the thing about it is, when push comes to shove, people are less likely to want to hurt their friends, and much less likely to judge people when they know them. But how?

9. Lynne says:

I have no nationality.
    no colour to my skin,
    no alegiance to religion
    my heart's where I begin

Each and everyone of us
    shines like a shooting star
    spreading out the oneness
    remembering who we are

We are all remembering
    we're living light within
    We stand upon sacred soil
    We are all human……