As summer draws to an end, I find myself wanting to indulge in as many salads as possible!
I’ve been testing out my green thumb lately with a new little balcony garden, and so I was inspired to make a healthy, mayo-free version of an Asian slaw using some fresh picked jalapeños and cilantro straight from the source.
This salad lasts about three days if you keep it cool in the refrigerator and is an awesome side to fish or a delicious veggie burger. The ginger and fiber rich cabbage help you to feel more satiated and full while the lime and jalapeño add a fresh, spicy kick to keep your taste buds interested.
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeños, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- lime zest
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 TBS honey
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 TBS low sodium soy sauce ( I used Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- optional: slightly unripe mango, green papaya
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, and mango/green papaya and toss together in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, ginger, jalapeños, and honey; slowly whisk in the sesame oil.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let it sit at least 15-20 minutes to let the dressing soak in.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
Like elephant food on facebook.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 655 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 9 shares Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 4,493 shares The Astrology of 2017: Letting Go & Shining your Light. 2,082 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,148 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,589 shares I’m a Woman Sex Educator who Doesn’t Believe in Foreplay—Here’s Why. 969 shares One Perfect Thing to Say to Someone who Knows they are Dying. 1,220 share