As summer draws to an end, I find myself wanting to indulge in as many salads as possible!
I’ve been testing out my green thumb lately with a new little balcony garden, and so I was inspired to make a healthy, mayo-free version of an Asian slaw using some fresh picked jalapeños and cilantro straight from the source.
This salad lasts about three days if you keep it cool in the refrigerator and is an awesome side to fish or a delicious veggie burger. The ginger and fiber rich cabbage help you to feel more satiated and full while the lime and jalapeño add a fresh, spicy kick to keep your taste buds interested.
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeños, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- lime zest
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 TBS honey
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 TBS low sodium soy sauce ( I used Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- optional: slightly unripe mango, green papaya
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, and mango/green papaya and toss together in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, ginger, jalapeños, and honey; slowly whisk in the sesame oil.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let it sit at least 15-20 minutes to let the dressing soak in.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
Like elephant food on facebook.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 456 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 74,336 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 18,024 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,912 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,786 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,697 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,069 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,130 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 954 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,532 share