It Feels so Good not to be Poor for the First Time in My Life.

Via on Sep 27, 2012

Getting EnergySmart-coordinated bids. Rebates for improving home? Yay #Boulder & federal government! Follow @WaylonLewis on Instagram!

Money isn’t the root of all evil: it’s the root of much stress, or relaxation.

There’s nothing about poverty that’s virtuous, other than simplicity.

There’s nothing about money that brings happiness: we have to make friends with ourselves, rich or poor, in order to be cheerful.

Working a 100 hours a week, broke for 10 years, the sudden maturation of elephant’s staff and support from our community have allowed me to fix my roof just before the winter for the first time in six years; to get a refrigerator for the first time in three years, to consider buying a (cheap) vintage vehicle, my first car in nearly five years. It’s enabled me to go to the dentist three times (the first time thanks to my grandma and aunt) for the first time in 12 years (no cavities, but teeth wearing down). All of this is just in time, and all of this takes time.

Stability is a virtue. Money helps stability.

So thank you, you. If you share an elephant article, thank you. When you do so, you’re supporting indie, still-small, grassroots-created (our readers are our writers) media with a conscience, and our efforts to make this here rag-tag outfit mainstream and available to those beyond our core readership or choir.

A tired, happy, relieved founding editor,

Waylon Hart Lewis

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

28 Responses to “It Feels so Good not to be Poor for the First Time in My Life.”

1. Love this post. Think you need to consider changing the "H" from Hart to Homerun. Way to go!

2. DaveTelf says:

Yeah buddy.

3. You deserve it. It's been a great three years together!

Bob

4. Wonderful, Waylon! Kate says to change the H to Homerun. I say change Hart to Heart. You rawk! You're an inspiration. Cheers to you and the elephant community!!

5. @joiedesara says:

The work you've done creating this site has certainly helped and encouraged me. So, thank you. I'm glad to be a small part of what makes this site possible and can't wait to see where it goes next with you, Waylon Hart? Heart? Homerun? Lewis at the helm.

6. guest says:

broke and poor are not the same thing. I have been broke for many years, but I have never been poor, Poor doesn't get to live in Boulder. Poor doesn't get to make it out. Poor doesn't own a Mac-book while building a business.
    So now you are gonna buy a car? Thought it was for the environment that you bike everywhere. But congratulations on not being broke anymore. Seriously, it is good to take care of the teeth, gum disease is linked to heart disease. But seriously, big difference between broke and poor.

7. Sara says:

I hear you Waylon. Being broke (or poor!) is boring and stressful. Good on you, and reach for the stars ♥

8. Andy says:

I cant tell if reading about your personal life is profoundly interesting or completely irritating. I guess that is the conundrum of reality tv and blogging. The type a extroverts risk hate but gain love and adoration in the process. Kudos though. Your version of Boulder is the one i fell in love with just before EJ was birthed by you. And i read it, and see the ads, which is what you're striving for.

9. Lori Ann Lothian says:

"The next phase for elephant will be exhausting, and fun: now that we have a great, low-drama staff, inspired and cohesive, and a stable community, we can begin to reach for the stars—to finally begin to fulfill our mission of effecting real and lasting change in education, enlightening entertainment and the quality of journalism (the fourth estate) in a new media context."

I am happy to be a part of elephant…

10. Carrie Tyler says:

Love to you Waylon. Thank you for following your passion and your dream. Your success with Elephant is an inspiration to all of us.

11. Thanks, Waylon, for giving all of us an opportunity to voice our sometimes strong opinions in a welcoming and highly varied environment. You should be proud of yourself and proud of Elephant. Love and Light to you.

12. barbara says:

Dear Waylon, Your elephant journal is the most refreshing, hopeful, and delicious journal that I have found to date on the web. Authenticity shines through everywhere and I love it – and I love that you are enjoying your life and your goods and your self. You are right: Guest, you are not a prick, you are bitter…. from being poor. And Bitterness is a traitorous companion; Try despair! It's a shape-shifter, a trickster; a shaman and a friend. Follow despair far enough down the rabbit hole, and whaddaya know? inevitably you find the field. Broke may be given at times – Poor is optional. Always.

13. Waylon,

I just want to tell you that I am so very happy for you! I share (some) of your frustrations, explorations and successes -at a much smaller level- and I know how good it feels to make this online publishing thing happen. You have an amazing team and must be a solid leader, otherwise you wouldn’t be here right now. Kudos! You are an inspiration!

14. integralhack says:

Congrats, Waylon! Now buy that dog some pants–what a show off!

15. shannon says:

kudos to you for sticking it out for so long to see your ‘child’ to fruition. many wouldve given up long ago. congrats… :-)

16. Holyvia9 says:

well done….you can add an E now in your surname :)

17. Mariana Wirth says:

Great, Waylon, congratulations!

18. […] was I working up to? More responsibility? More money? More spreadsheets? No way […]