I love the holiday season.
It’s a time to gather with friends and family—a time to to share memories, and make new ones—a time to honor traditions and create your own traditions.
What I do not like about this holiday season is the fact that Christmas marketing began before the Halloween was cleared from shelves.
In order to get back into the holiday spirit here is a list of my favorite (old and new) holiday songs.
1. “Christmas in Hollis” by Run-D.M.C.
In 1987 Run-D.M.C. released A Very Special Christmas compilation album, which benefited the Special Olympics. “Christmas In Hollis” is my number one, top of the chart holiday song.
2. “Blue Christmas” ~ Elvis Presley
Elvis seemed to put out a holiday album each year, The Colonel was one hell of a marketing genius. This song is my favorite of any Elvis does.
3. “Christmas Song” ~ Dave Mathews
Touching, poignant, reminds us that this season is truly about Love, Love, Love.
4. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” ~ Nora Jones and Willie Nelson
It’s Nora Jones and Willie Freaking Nelson! Epic. Enough said.
5. “Happy Christmas (War is Over)” ~ John Lennon
So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
Ans so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young
6. “Santa Baby” ~ Eliza Doolittle
There are many versions of this song, I have issues with the versions that sound like a little girl or Betty Boop. The song is intended to be seductive, not creepy. Eliza Doolittle gets that.
And in case you have never heard Everclear does this song from the man’s point of view. (Jury’s out on this one.)
7. “Thank God It’s Christmas” ~ Queen
Freddie Mercury brings us a song full of hope. It is gut wrenching; you can feel his melancholy over a bad year.
8. “All I Want for Christmas Is You” ~ Mariah Carey
I admit, I had never heard this song until watching Love Actually (side note, adorable movie.) “All I Want for Christmas” has a pretty big part in the movie and I can say that it brings warm fuzzy feelings.
9. “All I want for Christmas Is Us” ~ Jason Mraz
Not to be outdone, Mraz did (kind of) a version of “All I Want for Christmas Is You” and made it all “Jason Mraz-y” —full of uber love and sap. Not a fan of this song or Jason Mraz, but sharing anyway because it is the holiday season.
10. “Last Christmas” ~ Wham
Warning: Huge cheese factor. Not to mention the members of Wham are dating girls in the video. It is one of those things you need to see at least once.
For those of you that love the traditional songs:
11. “Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)” ~ Nat King Cole
12. “Little Drummer Boy” sung by Dolores O’Riordan (The Cranberries) and also a version from Johnny Cash.
You can pick your favorite.
13. “Oh Come all Ye Faithful” ~ Twisted Sister (seriously)
A little rock in your holiday is fabulous and festive.
14. “Jingle Bell Rock” ~ Billy Idol
This should not have ever been done; it made me uncomfortable and crinkled my nose like I smelled something bad. I actually watched this numerous times in attempt to figure out if this is really Billy Idol. Still uncertain, it could be the guy who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
15. And finally, if you live in Boulder you may see this performed at your child’s holiday show. I did last year and it was the most fun moment of the night. Parents and kids all singing “Yellow Submarine” by the Beatles.
Ed: Brianna B.
Like elephant Culture on Facebook.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 344 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 160 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 364 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 956 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 2 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,391 share 5 Ways to Kiss & Make Up for your Mercury Retrograde Mishaps. 499 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 0 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,249 share 15 Cool Things Yoga has Taught Me. (Hint: None of them are Handstand.) 2,493 shares