Don’t Let A**holes Ruin Your Day.

Via on Dec 10, 2012
Photo courtesy of author: @yoga_girl on Instagram

Access your inner strength.

Being a yogi doesn’t mean you have to sit silently and smile whenever unpleasant people cross your path. Being a yogi does not mean letting people walk all over you when they feel like it.

We give love, yes. We meditate, yes. We practice stillness, yes.

But we don’t take sh*t!

Just because I practice ahimsa (non-harm) doesn’t mean I won’t show you some yoga girl strength when needed (and us yogis have a lot).

Don’t let assholes ruin your day.

Channel your inner warrior and stay strong enough to know that no one will ever intentionally harm anybody else, unless they are going through their own personal hell.

If you have love to give them, do so. If you don’t, that’s ok.

Turn around and continue with your day. Don’t make other people’s issues your own.

You have way more important things to do, like work on your one-armed handstand. Or sit on your mat, in silence…with a smile.

~

Ed: Bryonie Wise

Like elephant I’m not “Spiritual.” I just practice being a good person on Facebook.

About Rachel Brathen

Rachel is a yogi on a world tour. Born and raised in Sweden, she currently resides in the beautiful island of Aruba where she is busy teaching yoga at a resort in the mornings, coordinating retreats at noon, taking her three somewhat crazy dogs to the beach to keep up with the surf in the afternoon and trying to survive as a vegan (where no vegetables grow!) in the evenings. She firmly believes that life is not black or white – it’s black and white and blue and yellow with rays of pink and sparkle in between. You can teach yoga and still be a party animal. Meditate and ignore your spending problems. Be vegan and eat too much chocolate. Have a Swedish passport and live in the Caribbean. You can do anything, as long as it’s you! You can find Rachel on the beach, probably practicing her Astavakrasana, or on facebook.com/rachelsyoga.

17 Responses to “Don’t Let A**holes Ruin Your Day.”

1. Bryonie Wise laydowninthetallgrass says:

Love this, Rachel! xo B

2. Joe Sparks says:

We need to master the distinctly separate skills of dealing with human and dealing with pattern.

3. Groundhog Day says:

Another photo of this lady doing a handstand. On a beach. Talking about handstands. How original.

• Tracy says:

Thank you for being the example of how to "Not let assholes ruin your day". =)

• Vision_Quest2 says:

It's the zeitgest, sister. Into the time capsule this photo/article goes. A hundred years from now, civilization digs it up. Did civilization really fetishize these yoga postures at one time. Impermanence to the core (no pun intended, or maybe a pun was intended here) …

4. ommarathonlawyer says:

This is just great! It is important that people understand the difference between kindness and being doormat… don't mess with a yogi or yogini!

• ommarathonlawyer says:

Rachel, thank you for posting this, It was well needed today. I am a Yogi and Attorney and people try to take advantage of the fact that I live a yogic life. In all reality, I get better results for my clients by allowing those who are a–es to me to drown in the puddle of crap they themselves have created. At the end of the day, I concentrate on my breath, my intention and the reality is that it makes us yogis and yoginis very successful people. thanks again!

5. ArealYogi says:

Utter Garbage. Just someone with a bone to pick. Elephant Journal, use discretion when approving articles.

• Utter garbage. Just someone with a bone to pick. Elephant Journal, please use discretion when letting negative, toxic people post comments anonymously. Way to prove the author's point.

6. janejenilee says:

Quit my awful job last week… I am an artist, and lover, and giver…. And now I can be that fully :-D Awesome message, thank you!

7. [...] and tending to it with an open heart, we’re doing the most natural thing we can—expressing love. Instead of ostracizing our uncomfortable thoughts and emotions and their unpleasant effects, we [...]

8. cit1 says:

Excellent reminder, thanks!

9. Jane Morai says:

Well said Rachel.

There is often a misunderstanding when it comes to certain practices and beliefs such as yoga.

Just because we practice peace and well being it doesn't mean we'll allow people to talk trash to us and walk on us.

Even the most positive and selfless yogi's need to feel respected and appreciated.

10. andrea forbes says:

thank you Rachel again… I am remaining your wise wirds each time at class. :-)
    Your big fan,
    Andrea

11. [...] is not being weak when it comes to our spiritual practice. It is so easy to cherry pick in the spiritual supermarket, [...]

12. logon says: