With the days getting a little chillier, you may be craving a heartier meal.
This is totally normal. Winter is the time to restore our bodies. I love burritos but as a vegan, get very frustrated not being able to order one anywhere I go. So here’s a gluten-free, vegan version I came up with that I think you’ll absolutely love.
• 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cubed, & roasted
• 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1 cup chopped sweet onion
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 red pepper, chopped
• Himalayan sea salt to taste
• 2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 12 ounces of black beans drained and rinsed overnight
• 1/2 cup vega-cheese
•4 gluten free tortillas
Roast and chop butternut squash for 45 minutes or until tender. Cook brown rice. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add oil, onion and minced garlic. Sautee for about five minutes, stirring frequently. Add in salt and seasonings. Stir well. Add chopped red pepper, black beans and cooked rice and sauté for another 10 minutes on low. Add vega-cheese and heat another couple minutes. Add bean filling to tortilla. Wrap and serve. Top with avocado and cilantro.
Ed: Kate B.