WTF Can We Eat?

Via on Dec 17, 2012

Mmmm... Pomegranate

Whoo boy.

I went to the premier of “Seeds of Death” last week, which I reviewed for the Truth Barrier.

The “Please God spare me the incessant background music employed to tell me how I should be feeling,” I left for another day. Because this content is really the thing.

Suffice it to say the good people of Monsanto are poisoning virtually every large-scale crop grown on American soil, and hard at work on the rest of the world. It’s an eye roll on wheels, and I know I’m not telling you anything—you know already.

We’re running out of food we can healthily consume. And stuff we think of as healthy is, it turns out, gross.

So what can we eat?

For reasons that seem obvious to me, I’ve been vegan for years, (with lapses.) And I want my soy back. Almost every fake easy healthy veggie “solution” out there is soy based. There’s tofu in the entire planet by now. Look under your bed. Tofu. It turns out that all of it—well, 98 percent—is genetically modified.

Why is this bad? The modifications are microscopic, and transferable. Some genetic code shakes hands with your RNA and then replicates inside you. The film spells it out well.

Now why? To what great benefit are these crops altered, in such an alarming and clearly dangerous way? To increase supplier profits.

Remember Joni’s “Big Yellow Taxi?” When she asked the farmer to put away the DDT, she doubtless would not have wished her plea to help pave the way for the weed killer “Roundup.” The poor dear might have paled. Roundup is to DDT what chemical volcano is to charcoal.  If that makes any sense.

Roundup is not, as touted, “safe as table salt.” What can I tell you about the stuff?

Monsanto claims that Roundup is, among other things, biodegradable. But, uh, U.S. and French courts have found them guilty of false advertising on that score. They’ve settled, big money, for lying about the safety of Roundup. No really effective studies of the stuff have taken place, although one UN-affiliated study does link Roundup to cancers and infertility.

Cancer and infertility are not a small deal, if you think about it. They’re too big a price to pay for eating corn.

Like it so far? Run this one through your cerebrum: because weeds are taking a page from Monsanto’s GMO corns and becoming Roundup resistant themselves, farmers are now using five to six times the amount of chemical they were originally intended to use. What was once a light misting has turned into a thorough dousing. Chemical rainfall is the predictable weather.

They’re soaking your food in this stuff: it arrives at the grocery shelf fresh from these carcinogen showers. For more than you want to know about this poison, click here and here. It’s gross. Greenmedia offers a glimpse of Roundup inside living beings here.

It’s also all over the place on our soil. The long-reaching results of that are sadder than your aunt Millie’s short run at painting landscapes in oil. Don’t make me look.

God forbid we scale down the farming, stop subsidizing corporate giant farms and start paying small organic farms, label all GMO foods, and educate ourselves. That would be too… what, too lifesaving? Oh, no, I remember, too removed from special interests.

So soy is off the table. And, oh yeah, wheat is just crap now, too. Made the mistake of buying Wheat Belly recently. It’s not a diet book to me. I’m skinny, but still freaked. The modified wheat (wait for it… 98 percent) is sad. It grows a foot high now, not four feet. Because it’s Frankenstein huge and the traditional long stalk cannot support it anymore.

These sawed off little truncated tiny little midget rascal wheat fields are a sham, people. Our amber waves of grain have gone the way of our heroes proved. This matters. My bagel, my oatmeal!  Is there any mercy?

I am learning, to my great dissatisfaction, what I can’t eat.

Let me give you Lynn‘s list of U.S. GMO crops from her article.

• >>Corn
  • >>Soybeans
  • >>Canola
  • >>Cotton
  • >>Sugar Beets
  • >>Alfalfa
  • >>Hawaiian Papaya
  • >>Zucchini
  • >>Yellow Crookneck Squash

Alfalfa is a biggie on the list, by the way. Monsanto is now producing Roundup ready alfalfa. This bodes really, really bad. Why? Because past crops of GMO food created to resist roundup have germinated and contaminated neighboring crops. Alfalfa, my friends, is perennial. Lots of it grows wild. So long, healthy, life-giving sprouts. Remember how cool it used to feel to chomp into some sprouts?

But what can we eat? What is good? Are we down to kale, beans and rice, minus the rice? Oy.

Please let me know. I know they are out there somewhere: who is compiling lists of food safe to consume? I’ve had enough of learning what to avoid.

WTF can we eat?

Ed: Lynn Hasselberger

Like elephant food and elephant health & wellness on facebook.

About Karl Saliter

Karl is a circus artist sculptor yoga teacher writer miscreant gypsy, living in Mexico. He often feels as if he was born under a silver whale of a frisbee moon in the back of a red cartoon pickup truck, careening down route 66 at speed, that he somehow took the wheel, stuck his baby elbow out the rolled-down window, and decided to roll with it, and that though the truck had awesome chrome mirrors, he never looked back. He hopes you sometimes feel the same.

30 Responses to “WTF Can We Eat?”

1. Oh for God's sake. I was trying to cultivate an optimistic attitude and then Lynn promotes this. How could I resist? I cannot believe that anyone connected with buying, using, selling, blowing Monsanto wouldn't have a pang of conscience about feeding the world poison. That can only mean they are stupid beyond belief. There goes my almost cultivated optimism. And it's only been a day…..yeah I knew about this. That's why I'm living on organic dark chocolate. I like it on almonds but I believe the last article on food I read here informed me that they are covered in poison also. I knew that too or I did but I forget because there is just nothing left to eat.I'd live on organic ice cream but what about the tortured cows and chickens? It's getting weird. On the one hand we've raised culinary arts to magnificence. On the other, there are no safe ingredients.

2. [...] GMOs (Genetically modified organisms). GMO crops have replaced many of our traditional agricultural products and have become predominant in our [...]

3. Robin says:

Here's what we can eat: Food purchased from our local farmers markets (find one here: http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/), and importantly, by becoming a member of your local CSA (find one here: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/), and maybe most importantly, by starting a garden. I know this may not be practical for all, nor will it fulfill all of our gastronomic desires, but supporting local farms and growing one's own is a QUADRUPLE whamee. Our bodies get healthy, local, organic food, less money goes to support Monsanto and the many multi-nationals who support GMOs, or farmers become stronger and more autonomous, and we help the environment via fewer pesticides, fake foods and miles traveled to the table.

In fact, for many, once getting into the delicious and enjoyable habit of eating locally, it becomes ever easier to afford it by adjusting other, less positive buying choices. Buying less meat makes it easier to buy grass-fed and organic when you do. Buying fewer packaged and processed foods makes it easier to buy food that came right from the Earth. Bringing tasty, fresh leftovers for lunch saves money on going out. Preparing and sharing local food with friends and family is fun and healthy in ways that goes far beyond the food itself.

And of course… it just tastes better. :)

• karlsaliter says:

Thanks, Robin. I had very little hope that anyone would reply with some foods that we can eat. Well done! I travel frequently for work, but am seriously considering a few raised beds this year. They tell me kale is a breeze to grow…

4. Tara Dawn says:

Wonderful and well informed, as usual…

5. karlsaliter says:

Thanks, Tara! I made up most of it. :)

6. Jeremy Epstein says:

Eat Local. Your wheat, soy, corn, fruits from wherever-it's-summer based diet, whether GMO or not, is bad for the planet. Local producers, especially your friendly local organic farmers will also spare you the roundup ready GMO's and bad pesticides. Any soy/corn etc.. GMO or not takes a preponderance of poison because it's a monocrop susceptible to disease/insects and is mostly made of fossil fuels, which supply the nitrogen that our topsoil is now barren of. Local agriculture, to be sustainable also includes the use of animals, wondering how the vegan author feels about that? I for one love it because they close the ecological loop and are delicious, but that's another story…

• karlsaliter says:

Thanks for replying, Jeremy. I feel quite great about small agriculture animal use. All of my railing is toward factory farms. My neighbor Dody often has eggs, and I jump on those rascals with both feet when they are available. (That's right, I'm a sinner.) She also sometimes has had a cow, both for milk and for meat. I took part in a fall ritual of butchering and wrapping one time. It was with Dody, her two sons, Wade and Jay, and her daughter Kate. And Dennis, her partner. We cut and wrapped the meat with a quiet that was respectful and deep. I ate some of that meat. It was good for me.

I also agree about the danger of monoculture growing. You are right as rain: local is the balls. Now what are they growing in Manhattan in January?

7. Joe Strandell says:

You made most of it up? Nice one ;)

I love your blog! So many great articles… I thought you might like to know that http://www.dentist.net is offering 10% off their products with the code ORALCARE :)  Happy holidays!

8. Edward Staskus says:

How about whiskey straight up? Or has the grain been modified so that even whiskey is now monstrous?

9. [...] The concern lies where there is no evidence that GMOs are safe to consume overtime, and consequently, there is emerging scientific evidence that suggests that the consumption of GMOs can lead to adverse health effects. [...]

10. As far as addressing your solution, buy local and know global. Parallel to what Robin mentioned above, it works, and incubates successful community and knowledge sharing.

So why is it not taking off like every other great idea in food from spam to the ho-ho? Too many advocates preach against the spending of good, hard earned money towards food. Here is the cultural shift that brought us into this train wreck from the start.

.American's think they need cheaper foods.
    .Foods become cheaper in terms of cost to produce and nutritional value.
    .Heart Disease and Cancer shoot to the top of the death scale.
    .Advocates wasting time preaching against GMO's as opposed to growing/expanding the local/real-food movement.

The cause of success in any movement will always be a "pig-headed stubbornness," focus on The Solution, not The Problem!

Invest in the solution and progress with change is inevitable.

… and humans claim they are stumped.

11. karlsaliter says:

Thanks Aaron. I appreciate you reading and commenting, though I think hearing from advocates speaking out against GMOs is educational and helpful. Had it nor been for teachers like Dharma Mittra and Gary Youroffski, I would still be eating a lot of unhealthy stuff.

I am all for buying and growing local.

12. Kevin says:

The GMO and round-up issues have nothing to do with "eating local" they have to do with legislation. If we don't want to support these things — gmo and round-up ready — the first thing is to not waste food: we have supplied more than enough food for the planet for the past 60 years.

• karlsaliter says:

Thanks for this comment Kevin. Though our voice might be quiet, it is still a voice. I do think buying local, if lots of people make it a practice, could slow GMO practices in time. But I agree that
      wasting food is too often overlooked. It is a real problem,

13. Maru Garcia says:

Food with all its political, cutural, economic and emotional implications is simply fascinating, and scary .
    Where we are at in terms of food safety resumes basically in lack of ethics, how sad.
    Great article.

• karlsaliter says:

Thanks Maru. I liked writing this one. Yes, food today is a strange, huge, bizarre tangled crooked messy thing.

14. We already have GMO labeling in the organic market. If it is organic then it is not GMO. We should be eating this way, if not even cleaner. Stop the laziness of depending on the government to initiate more laws and forcing them to enforce those laws and GET TO KNOW YOUR LOCAL FOOD PRODUCERS. Tell us what you want and what is valuable to you, we listen. We are wholly trying to reduce govt spending but want more laws and more departments to use more resources when it can easily be achieved on our own.

Any change begins with one’s decision to do something different within oneself. If you feel strong enough about it, it will expand, and surge deeper through the community. The example will be set and if this movement has the potential, it will expand far beyond its point of origin.

Attempting to sell it to the government without substantiating it in a provable clause makes no logical sense. I personally am not for GMO’s but the proof is simply not strong enough against them to convince the Feds.

Capitalism in this country will always prevail. When we decide to support our local/real-food movements wholly, we are speaking as loud as anyone will ultimately listen in this country, with Money and commerce.

They will follow.

15. karlsaliter says:

Aaron Yes! Best answer yet, I think. Thanks for replying.

There is wisdom in looking to ourselves and our local growers for solutions.

What do you suggest though, in winter in New York City?

• First off, Merry Christmas, Happy (belated) Hanukkah, and Season's Greetings!

Karl,

Quality food producers are more than simply farmers or growers, they are your local Butcher Shop who sources only responsible/ethical/sustainable/quality meats. They are your local Brooklyn based Salsa company that only uses the freshest/organic ingredients. They are your local Bakeries who support heirloom grains and biodynamics.

When we personally interact with our local, open-minded businesses, we build a strong community based on knowledge and trust that further strengthen the MOVEMENT! Ask questions like "Why do you source from this farm… What makes this beef humane… Where do you get quality tomato's from this time of year… and so on."

Food is more important than most of us give it credit for and the resurgence of Artisan Producers is enforcing that concept as a whole. We can look forward to tastier, healthier, more conscious foods only through open-ended communication with our Local producers/farmers/growers/etc.

Believe… Good Food DOES require a heightened level of consciousness.

So to answer your question of "What can we eat"… ask locally.

• karlsaliter says:

Thanks, Aaron, and of course, you are right. I completely agree woth your:
        "Food is more important than most of us give it credit for and the resurgence of Artisan Producers is enforcing that concept as a whole. "

Conversations with local grocers and shopkeepers could really make a difference. All the best to you, and thanks for sharing comments that genuinely move this conversation forward.

16. rose says:

Karl, is your friend Dody a former fight attendant for a commercial airline based in Atlanta? I knew a Dennis and Dody in the 70's in Atlanta.

• karlsaliter says:

Hi Rose! She is Dody Clark, and she does have a partner named Dennis. The Atlanta years, were there any, are cloaked in secrecy to me. Happy Holidays and thanks for reading.