Right around the New Year, people often start to experience lowered immunity due to post-holiday stress, over consumption of low quality foods, and lack of movement.
Remember that getting the flu is usually an indication from the body that it needs rest and replenishment.
As you sit down to practice yoga, consider reviewing your year.
What are the moments that struck you most? The precious times that were full of sweetness, or the ones that offered a challenge that led to growth? Whether you write it down or simply honor your response in your heart, celebrate yourself, your journey, your light and your darkness.
Here are some simple suggestions for taking care of yourself after the holidays:
1. Practice gentle or restorative yoga when you feel tired to help boost your immune system.
2. Practice hot power yoga when you feel the need to let go of stress and center and refocus your energies in a positive healing way.
3. Get out in nature—even on cold days. Take a walk or a hike every day. Getting outside and moving your body is a natural antidepressant. This increases your oxygen and circulation.
4. Eat simple meals such as brown rice or quinoa with steamed vegetables/avocado, sprinkled with olive oil, lemon and sea salt.
5. Eat lots of greens, squashes and foods high in Vitamin C such as broccoli, red pepper and Crimini mushrooms.
6. Eat foods high in minerals such as warming miso soup or consider introducing seaweeds such as kombu into your rice and bean dishes.
7. Treat yourself to a healthy whole foods cookbook such as Clean Food by Terry Walters and make some dishes for yourself or to share with others.
8. Drink warm or room temperature water with lemon for Vitamin C and alkalinity.
9. Reduce sugar, caffeine and processed foods.
10. Get plenty of sleep and rest.
11. Reach out to others, talk to friends or loved ones if you are feeling overwhelmed or stressed.
12. Connect with a supportive community of friends who value your commitment to health and healing.
Like elephant health & wellness on Facebook.
Ed: Kate B
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 631 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 4 shares Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 3,269 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,094 share Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 1,022 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,433 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,392 share If you Want Him, you must Claim Him. 781 shares