Flu Shot: Yes or No?

Via Karl Saliter
on Jan 16, 2013
get elephant's newsletter
"Medication time"
“Medication time”

(Leave your answer in the comments section for this unofficial elephant survey).

For me, this is easy.

It’s not “no,” it’s  heeeeeel, no.

Take that needle away from me, Miss Nurse. I’ll just have some water, hold the water.

There’s plenty of alarming (alarmist?) mainstream news about the flu epidemic.

Apparently, we’re all gonna die, and flu shots are the only thing between us and certain death. Save your country, only 15 to 30 bucks. Well, I’m not so sure, and I’m in good company on this.

In a recent piece called, revealingly, “The Shocking Lack of Evidence Supporting Flu Vaccines,” writer Sayer Ji posits:

“As it presently stands, it is not sound medical science, but primarily economic and political motivation which generates the immense pressure behind mass participation in the annual ritual of flu vaccination.”

If you’re looking for a reason to run and get your shot, it’s not there.

If CNN is right, and I trust them like a used car salesman with schmutz on his chin, a flu shot gives you just over 60 percent chance of not getting the flu. Given those odds, count me out.

So what would a boddhisattva do? Take on the little suffering, that others might be spared suffering. Unless he thought the needle was filled with bullshit.

There are shady goings on, conjectures of deaths attributed to the flu shot, some of them kind of heartbreaking.

My chiropractor, Dr Michael, shot me this:

The vaccine generally works better “in young, healthy people than it does in older persons,” Schaffner told CNN Newsroom.

Uhh, that’s actually “youth and health” working you idiot, not the vaccine.

Elephant Media

I don’t think he’s gonna get one.

Advocates of the shot are getting creepy, now asking that it be made mandatory.

(Well, mandatory for health care workers, but it seems more alarming to leave that little detail out. Can all-out mandatory be far behind?)

That hyperlink above is to an NPR piece on this group—not fringe lunatic, but scarier.

The National Business Group on Health (NBGH), creepier than your old aunt Agnes, the one with the hair growing out of that mole on her cheek, is basically a public relations firm for big pharma, dressed in a cute skirt.

From the NPR piece:

“The NBGH is a nonprofit representing more than 300 large employers, including 68 of the Fortune 100. Its statement urged hospitals to ‘require annual flu vaccination of all employees as a condition of employment unless employees can demonstrate medical contraindications (with physician documentation) or religious objections.'”

For me, when I’m being strapped to a gurney screaming—and needled away “for my own good”—well, it just stops being fun.

That isn’t whats happening here, not yet, but what do you think? Is it okay to mandate a shot that has such poor numbers?  Forgetting that, tell me this:

Have you had your flu shot? Why?

Like elephant health & wellness on facebook.

Ed: Lynn Hasselberger

About Karl Saliter

Karl is a circus artist sculptor writer miscreant gypsy, living in Mexico. He has written two novels, "Compassion's Bitch," and "Breakfast In A Cloud," and has published neither. He often feels as if he was born under a silver whale of a frisbee moon in the back of a red cartoon pickup truck. That careening down route 66 at speed, he leapt up into the cab, took the wheel, stuck his baby elbow out the rolled-down window, and that though the truck had awesome chrome mirrors, he never looked back. He hopes you frequently feel the same.

Comments

46 Responses to “Flu Shot: Yes or No?”

1. SnowLeopard says:

I get a flu shot yearly. I have a rare heart disease and am 78 years young.

2. Guest says:

My doctor annually advises me to not get a flu shot even though I fit the criteria of those who most need one, per the mainstream medical industry (weakened immune system; existing illnesses; elderly). Plus my doc is very fond of pharmaceuticals so he is also mainstream medical. This, to me, adds weight to his opposition to the flu shots. I've had the flu about 5 times in 6 decades. Never had a flu shot.

3. Timmy_Robins says:

Vaccines have been getting a bad rap lately, I guess this all comes from the doctor that claimed that vaccines could cause autism and probably also from the alternative medicine movement. The problem is that these disinformation "campaigns" are not based on facts and they only hurt public health.

The autism-vaccine study has been proved to be an elaborate fraud and Dr Wakefield has been striped of his medical license.
    It is important to mention that the effectiveness of a vaccine depends on the individuals immune system and not on the vaccine in itself, having said that the effectiveness of most vaccines is high (polio 99% after 3 doses).
    Millions of lives have been saved and many diseases have been erradicated since vaccines became widely used.

If the effectivity of something must be questioned then it is that of alternative "medicine".

4. Timmy_Robins says:

The examiner is hardly a reliable source of information.

As for the link between narcolepsy and Pandermix, first of all there weren't hundreds of cases , there were 17 in Finland and 12 in Sweden the only problem is that the latest review by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) (Oct 2012) found no link between narcolepsy and the vaccine . Btw, 30.8 million people were vaccinated in Europe back then and no one reported millions or even hundreds of deaths caused by the vaccine.

The tetanus-diphteria vaccine victim is not even worth mentioning because if you read carefully the story you linked to, it was clearly a case of medical error:

"The doctor refused to administer drugs and the clinical picture worsened until she entered the vegetative state in which she remains today."

The WHO estimates that in 2010 58 000 newborns died of neonatal tetanus and "In 2008, WHO estimated that 1.5 million of deaths among children under 5 years were due to diseases that could have been prevented by routine vaccination. This represents 17% of global total mortality in children under 5 years of age"

Like I said, there is a lot of information out there that is not based on evidence.

5. Marissa says:

As far as the flu vaccine goes, I don't think it should be made all-out mandatory. I wouldn't get the shot myself if I didn't work in a hospital. But being a hypocrite, I do believe in the effect of herd immunity, and I think we all owe it to the children, elderly, and immune-compromised to get the flu vaccine. I really don' know much about other vaccines, though.

6. @MercuryThe says:

No. Not getting the flu shot. Ever.

7. steve says:

I'll keep riding my bike everyday and eating healthy food. no shot for me.

8. Lesley says:

No. No flu shots ever. I don't see the point, and I detest the pressure put on my as a parent to give my 5-year old a flu shot. No thanks.

9. Celia Farber says:

Since Timmy_Robins has laid claim to factual as opposed to superstitious thinking, let's first look, together, at what makes a fact a fact.

Karl Saliter linked this article which says there were 79 cases of (by government admission) vaccine induced narcolepsy in Finland and about 200 in Sweden.

Here it is again:

Yet Timmy_Robins says confidently that there were 17 in Finland and 12 in Sweden–and that The Examiner is not credible.

This is easy to establish. Mr. Robins, what is your reference for the numbers you cite? Let's get to the bottom of at least that question, so we can establish what makes a fact a fact. We all agree that we like facts.

10. Robyn says:

Yes. I get mine every year. I have had the flu one time in my life. I don't recall when I started getting the flu shot regularly or if I got it back then. I hardly ever get a cold, so I'd probably hardly ever get the flu either. I know that people feel passionately about it on both sides, but I guess I just lean toward getting one. I have never had any kind of issue that would be blamed on having had the flu shot, though maybe it would be hard to pinpoint it if I did. Or maybe it will happen later, when I'm 85 and I'll just be glad I didn't have the flu dozens of times throughout my life. I should also add that it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I realized it only protects you to about 60%. Knowing that, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it in the future. I think I'd have to hear more about the horrible ways the shot is destroying my body before I'd blow it off. I know there will be some haters to my response, but that's the way I feel.

11. karlsaliter says:

Facebook comments:

Ann Nguyen Lol. "Heeeeeeell No." I'm out…I'll take my chances just the way I am, thanks anyway!
    January 16 at 8:52pm · Edited · Like · 1

Elvia Gignoux I am out!
    January 16 at 8:54pm · Like

Karl Saliter Meeee Toooo. And I bet Michael P Lande is with us?
    January 16 at 8:54pm · Like · 1

Alyssa Carleton Hanrahan first year I've ever had a flu shot- I caved to peer pressure. Result – I've had a cold on and off since. OUT.
    January 16 at 8:55pm · Unlike · 1

Kitty White WAY OUT!!!
    January 16 at 8:58pm · Unlike · 1

Crispina Ffrench nope no flu shot here!
    January 16 at 9:08pm · Unlike · 1

Karl Saliter awesome.
    January 16 at 9:38pm · Like

Elizabeth Kay Marchetti Totally in, especially with an infant at home and a spouse who teaches at a public highschool.
    January 16 at 10:02pm via mobile · Like

Elizabeth Kay Marchetti The state of CO announced today another two infants died recently from the flu. Totally preventable deaths, fucking stupid tragic.
    January 16 at 10:03pm via mobile · Like · 1

Terri Stimpfel No Shot for Me..
    January 16 at 10:06pm · Like · 1

Courtney Lane Totally in. So many people all around me have been suffering for weeks with a horrible strain of the flu. My kids and I have remained healthy and happy.
    January 16 at 10:33pm via mobile · Like

Alan Hayes Personally, I practice social distancing. Fuck all you people! You're just tryin' to poison me!
    January 16 at 10:41pm via mobile · Like · 1

Celia Ingrid Farber Karl: I can't access comments at your article, (must subscribe, and will) but this obliterates commenter Timmy's apologia claiming Examiner not credible and that there were not "hundreds" of cases in Scandinavia of narcolepsy from swine flu shots. Even GlaxoSmithKline doesn't deny it!

Insight – Evidence grows for narcolepsy link to GSK swine flu shot | Yahoo! Health
    health.yahoo.net
    STOCKHOLM (Reuters) – Emelie is plagued by hallucinations and nightmares. When s…
    20 minutes ago · Like · Remove Preview

Celia Ingrid Farber "Nobody wants to be the next Wakefield." They should be so lucky. One has to have a moral spine to "be" a Wakefield. He has not been "discredited." And every day more damning data suggests history will rehabilitate him.
    16 minutes ago · Like

12. karlsaliter says:

I'm just discovering Tetyana's research. What do you guys think of this?

"However, after years of doing research in immunology, observing scientific activities of my superiors, and analyzing vaccine issues, I realized that vaccination is one of the most deceptive inventions the science could ever convince the world to accept… …Immunology is a science that studies an artificial process of immunization – i.e., the immune system’s response to injected foreign matter. Immunology does not attempt to study and therefore cannot provide understanding of natural diseases and immunity that follows them… …Because immunologic experiments are unrealistic simulations of the natural process, immunologists’ understanding of nature is limited to understanding their own experimental models…
    …Immunologists have confined the scope of their knowledge to the box of experimental modeling, and they do not wish to see beyond that box. Thinking within the box only reinforces the notion of vaccination and cannot provide any other solution to the problem of diseases….
    …Despite the fact that the biological basis of naturally acquired immunity is not understood, present day medical practices insist upon artificial manipulation of the immune response (a.k.a. immunization or vaccination) to secure “immunity” without going through the actual disease process. The vaccine-induced process, although not resembling a natural disease, is nevertheless still a disease process with its own risks. And it is not immunity that we gain via vaccination but a puny surrogate of immunity. For this reason, vaccination at its core is neither a safe nor an effective method of disease prevention. Yet, immunologists have nothing better to offer because they can only go as far as their deeply rooted immunologic dogma allows them….
    …It is up to future generations of immunologists to rescue this science and put it on the right track. The benefits for humankind will be enormous, as this would make both vaccine injuries and fear of diseases a matter of the past. But to make this happen, the field of immunology must first be cleared from the weeds of immunologic dogma….
    Vaccine Illusion
    Tetyana Obukhanych, Ph.D.

13. Robyn says:

Seems to me that the fact that several generations of people in many parts of the world have lived more or less without fear and threat of diseases such as polio, smallpox and measles. That would be because of vaccines. And how many vaccinated people do you know who have suffered ill effects that can be blamed on these vaccines? I've heard people say that they aren't vaccinating their kids because the vaccine side effects are worse than the actual diseases themselves. These kinds of statements come from people who have spent their lives under the safety net of "herd immunity" and have never had to watch their loved ones be maimed or killed by certain horrible diseases. Sorry, I've heard a lot of people preach the dangers of vaccines, but I've yet to see compelling proof (in my opinion) that it's better to face these diseases than be vaccinated. I know it's not particularly scientific, but I have yet to meet one person who has some ailment or health problem due to being vaccinated. But without these vaccinations, I'm sure I'd have known many to be crippled by polio, disfigured by smallpox or killed by some disease.
    It's each individual's decision to vaccinate, but when people opt out, they are not just putting themselves at risk. This is obvious from the pockets of disease that crop up in areas where people opt out of vaccinating their kids in high numbers. That puts newborn babies and others at higher risk for getting sick.

14. karlsaliter says:

I am for parent/patient choice on vaccinations, simple as that.

This is footage from court testimony given in support of House bill 1055. It is moving. It is real.

15. Erwin Alber says:

They can stick this toxic filth into their own anatomy. There is NO WAY I would let anyone with a vaccine of any kind come near me or any member of my family.

16. karlsaliter says:

This matters:

"There is no evidence that any influenza vaccine thus far developed is effective in preventing or mitigating any attack of influenza. The producers of these vaccines know that they are worthless, but they go on selling them, anyway."

Dr. J. Anthony Morris
    Former Chief Vaccine Control Officer at the FDA

17. web hosting says:

Hands down, cute blue mittens totally free Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, particularly in the realm of games, but I am not certain I would want to bet on the future if this aspect is important for you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

18. hosting says:

Wow! Thank you! I usually wanted to create on my web site some thing like that. Can I take a component of one’s publish to my web site?