How to Say No (in 25 Bad A** Ways).

Via on Jan 15, 2013

1dbe378de7cd7d03d6c3eb7b36d2395b

I’ve mastered the fine art of saying yes.

I will say yes, for the most part, to anything you ask me to do; I love you, you see and I want you to be happy.

And I am bendy and flexible and so I will warp myself into all sorts of shapes and sizes to make sure that I honor the yes that I gave you (you know…because I’m a good person.)

It doesn’t matter how stressed or how out-of-my-way I have to go to make it happen; I would rather put myself out then let you down.

But sometimes, my yes is really a no.

My body can turn my yes-into-a-no, as can my facial expression, or the tone of my voice. If you are clever, you’ll hear the no in the yes and if you are honest (unlike me, it would seem) you will call me out on it.

Why is saying no so difficult?

As soon as a no pops into my head, I fill with guilt and send myself into a dungeon full of negative thoughts—for example: I am a bad person…You won’t want to be my friend anymore…I’m not doing my part to save the world.

(Really, there is no rationale to where my mind will take me when it comes to saying no; needless to say, I am a work-in-progress.)

This year, I commit to being completely, compassionately, lovingly honest (even when it’s hard…especially when it’s hard) because I’m not honoring myself—or you—when I don’t say what I mean.

I will say yes when I mean yes (truly, madly, deeply, from my heart yes) and I will say no when I mean no (without holding guilt for doing so).

And when I am in doubt and my courage wavers, this list will surely help:

fda573192268b0f36a6e2dd2c5137b23

And for the record, I’ve learned that there is as much love in saying no as there is in saying yes.

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

(Source: tazzmarazz.tumblr.com via Amanda on Pinterest)

About Bryonie Wise

Bryonie’s life is rooted in the belief that when we come from a place of love, anything is possible. When not teaching yoga or writing her heart to the bone, she can be found frolicking in the sunshine with her camera and her dog, Winston, living her yoga. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

If you liked this, you might like these:

18 Responses to “How to Say No (in 25 Bad A** Ways).”

1. Penny says:

#23 kicks @ss… :)

2. <3 Love it!! So glad you decided to write it up. I would write more but…umm… somethings have come up that need my attention. hah!

3. Jennie says:

I love this article! I tend to say yes on some occasions when I really should say no. The tendency dwindles with age, however :-)

4. Boogie says:

Nice work Bryonie. This is good. I’m going to go with a 15/16 combo. Cheers, B

5. Chelsea says:

Bryonie, your article rings true with my recent decision to separate with my husband. It is a light hearted way for me to look at my new found ability to speak my mind/my heart, and finally say no. Fuck no.

I needed some humour. Thank you.

• laydowninthetallgrass says:

Hi Chelsea…you are most welcome…I'm happy that this lifted your spirits…and keep speaking your mind/heart. xo

6. Auki says:

Saying NO is a way of setting healthy boundaries. A wise man I once knew said that the meaning of the word "NO" is one of the most important lessons that we can teach our children. One of the reasons that Americans have such an aire of entitlement is they haven't heard NO quite often enough.

NO NO NO NO NO NO! Feels good to say NO, yes?

• Kassie says:

I so agree wit h you on your statement about Americans having such an air of entitlement because they don't hear the word NO enough. Especially now our schools teachers and parents are sheltering our children from the real world, and they are not being taught the meaning of the word NO. Then when our younger generation enter the real world and reality they do not have the proper skills and tools and therefor that sense of entitlement really comes in, they feel they don't have to work for anything and that they should be given everything because that's what they have been taught all through school. It is sad.

Thank you! The article was AMAZING!!! I loved it!

7. @valkyreens says:

Excellent – thank you!

8. Dawn Wesselby says:

No 21 preceded by 'Thank you for offering me this wonderful opportunity but….'

9. [...] one day becomes two, before you know it you have cleared your schedule for almost an entire week. Five days; an eternity in the land of the movers and [...]

10. Chrissy says:

Okay, this was funny, but I made the mistake of sharing this before I read the whole thing…why hide the “ss” in the title if the solution is to use the word “fuck” a lot…was hoping for something more useful… A little disappointed, A LOT embarassed…my fault, I know.