Via Ben Ralston
on Jan 12, 2013
get elephant's newsletter

So many spiritual teachers tell you:

“Be Real!”

“You are Love!”

Live in the Moment!”

But it’s all meaningless if you don’t know how to do, be, and experience those things isn’t it?!

Here’s how:

YouTube Preview Image

This was partly inspired by Waylon Lewis’s How post.

Thank you to Elma.

Please share!

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston is a therapist, healer, advanced Sivananda Yoga teacher, and writer. His writings have been read by millions of people and can be found on Elephant Journal, Rebelle Society, and various other portals online. He has been teaching Yoga for 16 years in hotels, ashrams, beaches, gyms and rooftops worldwide. And he runs a busy international therapeutic practice from his home in rural Croatia. Offering sessions in person or via Skype, his therapeutic work is based on healing trauma, and the tools he uses for this are varied – mainly RPT, Shamanism, and energy work. He has also developed some of his own methods, particularly in the area of abuse trauma; ‘resource state’ awareness; and boundary reconstruction. He regularly runs retreats combining Yoga and other energetic exercises with his therapy. He would love nothing more than to see you on one of these retreats, since he believes that this approach to personal development is really the only effective way of bringing love and peace to global human society. Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his new website with integrated blog! Yes, he's excited about that :)

22 Responses to “The 3 paths (how) to Happy, Healthy, Peaceful, Real, Authentic. How to Be Love. ~ Ben Ralston”

1. Liz says:

Hi Ben! Thank you so much for this. I intuitively felt, "yes!" when you spoke about animals being able to let go of trauma, but humans not being able to. I think this has to do with our survival fears and our violent history deeply embedded in our consciousness. We experience a trauma, and our egos think that if we hang onto the memory and design our lives in hopes of preventing trauma from occurring again, that we are actually helping ourselves. At least that is what I experience in myself. I want to let go of the trauma, but am afraid that if I do then I somehow make myself vulnerable to more in the future. I know that may sound irrational, but that is where I am at. I guess I lack trust. Can you speak to anyone who may be having trouble letting go of trauma now, that feel for whatever reason it is unsafe for them to do so? Thanks again for this! Liz

2. Becky says:

Love this Ben! Great to listen to, much Gratitude!

3. Lori Bell says:

Hi, Ben.

I have just recently realized that when I am alone, really alone, physically alone in my own "home" (where I eat and sleep), then every moment becomes a form of meditation for me, whether I am preparing food, washing dishes, washing clothes, etc., etc. I do get to experience my own Being as Love, very directly and continuously in that physical and psychological space. However, if there are other people there to "observe" me doing these ordinary chores, or to "observe" me being who I am in any moment, then it is very, very easy to lose that feeling of "meditation" – instead, handling these normal responsibilities of life takes on the quality of a "performance", in part because there is an "audience."

Or, maybe those other people are seeking to draw my attention to themselves, to draw attention to whatever they are "performing" in their own lives, and so I am drawn out of that place of meditation in "response" (or reaction?) to them. (Unlike your dog who does not allow the cat to draw him out of his state of meditation. :))

There have been few times with few people where I have felt I could share that state of "meditation" With them, because they were also able to simply Be that way themselves.

As I have considered this, I've thought about another aspect of the complexity of our society and it is the fact that our population has grown to such an extent that it is really quite difficult for people to be able to spend long periods of time By Themselves; i.e. Just Being Themselves, just "meditating" themselves, without having an "audience", without that taking on the quality of a "performance" for them. In so many ways, it is like we are almost always "performing" for others, or think that we have to be "performing" for others, or we internalize all of the expectations around us and in turn feel we have to be "performing" for ourselves.

As you have indicated in your video, staying in that "connected" place does not require formal meditation. As I am aware, I can be quite active, can work effectively, etc., etc. and still be in that place of meditation, but when there are others around, especially others who are not in that same place themselves, between empathy, mirror neurons, airborne biochemicals, unconscious "projections", etc. – what might be seen as the rather "normal" aspects and interactions of our being "social" creatures – experiencing all of that can definitely make it more difficult for anyone to Stay in that meditative, self-connected state and not be Distracted from it.

And yet, as you have explained here, it is one of the most important experiences we have to gain from being here, in this world, in these bodies.

Thank you for sharing this, Ben, and for simply Being Who You Are.

4. Love your videos, Ben! Look forward to more. Happy New Year!

5. Lori Bell says:

I was already on the path to writing this blog before I watched your video. It's kind of personal, but I wonder if there is relevance for others as well, especially women.

Yours in Peace and Love….

6. My personal experience with trying to heal trauma is that the more I try to heal it the more my body hangs on to it. I have adopted the method of simply not denying, not fighting, not accepting, not anything of it. Its effects lessen and I am proceeding with the assumption that it will heal itself. When I am connected to the wisdom inside I am led and I trust that will lead me to healing. I feel good with that process.

7. Aurora 89 says:

thanks! much needed. However one side note. animals do hold on to trauma. We have a rescue dog and his trauma from the past is with him everyday.

8. Lori Bell says:

For those of you who may have followed through reading the "In Defense" blog I posted you may also want to read these recent posts:, and

I have another major blog in the works. Will probably be posting in the early part of next week. I welcome all comments and feed-back.

Yours in Peace,

9. […] or poor, happy or sad, high or low… in the end nothing is […]

10. […] feels like peace—but not an ordinary kind of peace. It is a peace in which you are simultaneously awake to the […]