The Lesson We can all Learn from Lance Armstrong Now. ~ Ben Ralston

Via on Jan 18, 2013
Timothy A. Clary /AFP/Getty Images
Timothy A. Clary /AFP/Getty Images

Click here for videos of Lance Armstrong & Oprah.

When I was about 10 years old I was playing with a friend,

Paul, who lived down the street—and I caught him cheating in a game we played. I remember being absolutely bewildered and… furious. It made no sense to my young mind.

I went home and told my parents about it and their pride in me didn’t lessen the pain of being cheated and lied to and abused.

Truth is more important than winning. It’s also more important than reputation or friendship or career or dreams or even love. Because it’s what all of the above are built on.

Take away truth and all you have left is shadows.

Armstrong doesn’t yet get that though. He says he’s sorry, as if those two words alone have some kind of redemptive power. They don’t. They’re just words. And as much as I’d like to believe that words alone have power, they don’t. Without Truth behind them they’re just words.

I very much doubt that his newfound humility is over the wrongs that he’s done. I think he’s sorry that he got caught, and sorry that everything he lied and cheated and abused so hard for is in jeopardy.

So let him be sorry, ban him for life, take away the millions he (more or less) stole, and let’s move on, leaving him to face his shadows.

And he will face those shadows—he’ll have no choice, because the truth always catches up. It’s really all there is, and we can escape it for a while but it’s like trying to swim against the river:

The river (truth) always Wins.

Please share.

And leave a comment – do you agree? Or do you think (as many appear to do) that we should “forgive” Armstrong (whatever that means)?

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston almost joined the army when he was 18. When he was 32 he almost became a Swami. *** Now he is a healer, Reference Point Therapy teacher, and advanced Yoga instructor in the Sivananda tradition . His work as a healer acknowledges trauma as the underlying cause of almost all human problems, and resolves trauma at the causal level: gut-based survival instincts. The intention behind all his work is to empower others. *** Ben splits his time between his busy international practice, training therapists, and writing. As an experienced Yoga and Meditation teacher he also runs retreats, usually on the beautiful Croatian coast. *** Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his blog Grounded Spirituality.

73 Responses to “The Lesson We can all Learn from Lance Armstrong Now. ~ Ben Ralston”

1. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Comment from EJ Facebook page:
    "I'm not really clear on how it is cheating if every other person you are competing against is doing the same thing. So in a field of blood doping steroid using people he, while doing the exact same thing, was still stronger and faster. What he did has no relevance since everyone he was judged against did the same. However his LYING about it is another matter."

Reply:
      "…please read the article before commenting. And a) not everyone was doping, and the ones who weren't didn't have a chance therefore it's extremely unfair on them, and b) it's still cheating."

• Thaddeus Haas Thaddeus1 says:

My wife's brother raced for Garmin-Slipstream. He was clean his entire career and Garmin-Slipstream was/is a completely clean team, composed of many riders who doped previously. There were and are many riders who never doped and to blame the culture is absurd.

2. Kim says:

100% on! Thank you for so eloquently voicing how I feel about this topic – Lance – but more importantly truth and how it is the foundation of every single thing that is Spirit.

Thanks Kim.
      And I'm sure you feel – as I do – sorry for Armstrong. Not because of the (let's face it – really very hard) situation he now finds himself in, but primarily because if you sink so low, you've got a long way to climb…

3. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Comment from EJ Facebook page:
    "Im surprised Ben isnt a bit more forgiving …Lance has done a lot of good things for people too and he's human… I dont feel like he should be demonized …he made mistakes hes admitting them and will move on. The sport will conintue …"

Reply:
      "Hi, Ben Ralston here – I do 'forgive' him. I don't feel 'bad' towards him. But I think that the kind of abuse (let's be honest, that's what this whole story is about) that he perpetrated is endemic in our society, and this is a good opportunity to talk about it. I actually feel very sorry for him, because i can imagine what he's going through right now.

4. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Very interesting comment from EJ Facebook page:
    "as i understand it—it was a lot more than a few who were doping—it was many–if not most. the entire sport is rife with it. and when we speak about this 'doping'—-lets be clear about what type of performance enhancer he was using….its not like Lance was building himself up into some kind of super human/steroidal bionic man a la Mark MaGuire or Barry Bonds…. it was mostly small doses of IPO which increase or enhance oxygen into the blood stream. most were doing this admittedly. and he became very very good at hiding it. he still won those Tours because he was the best rider out there—-not because he was the 20th best rider who took some type of methamphetimine which allowed him unfairly to smoke the competition. since most in the top tiers were doing it—he simply leveled the playing field. he trained relentlessly and was still the best rider out there. any edge these drugs gave him was minimal. i dont know….maybe its because i live in Austin, Texas….and i used to see Lance training from time to time on my daily drives in the Hill Country—in the heat and the rain etc….that i just chose to not buy into this demonization of the man. he is an admitted liar—no doubt. and got his hands caught in the cookie jar–BIG TIME–FINALLY…but from an athletic point of view—he still won those races…"

Reply:
      "Ben Ralston here and thank you for a fascinating comment. I'd like to challenge you to examine your views a bit more closely via my reply to you: you say he still won those races. Actually, he didn't, he's been stripped of the titles, and rightfully so. There were people competing in those races who didn't have "more oxygen in their bloodstream" (a little more oxygenated blood is a big deal in sport, right?), and there were people watching, and sponsoring, and supporting (see the "sorry" link in the article), who wouldn't have done so had they know that he had extra drug-enduced oxygen in his body. So it's about much more than sport and cheating and winning: it's about lies – as you say – and abuse. Abuse of trust, abuse of responsibility and power."

5. Ellyn says:

I don’t see remorse either. He talks about himself in third person as if he is removed from his own actions. I see him having no connection to his despicable actions nor to the people he’s harmed. He seems dismissive, as if all he has to do is apologize for ruining people’s lives with his lies and law suits! This is the worst come to Jesus moment ever publicized that I can recall in recent history!

6. Suzy says:

Yes I think he’s more sorry he got caught than he is about doing it I’m the first place. I think he was full of arrogance, hubris, and invincibility. But why wouldn’t we forgive? Who among us hasn’t done the same thing (albeit on a MUCH smaller scale)? I think we do this to ourselves – put these people on a pedestal and wrap our egos up in them and then feel bitter disappointment when they aren’t what we thought. Maybe it’s that Lance was soooo lying and sticking to his lie! Maybe we all thought there was no way he could let us down.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Two good points – the first I agree with totally (my intuition is that he's not really very sorry)
      And yes, people have a habit of putting people on a pedestal – it's called the cycle of abuse. Same thing entirely happened with John Friend…

• FREE says:

YES, have been thinking this is parallel to the John Friend saga. However, I see much more remorse, humility and honesty from Lance!

7. Thank you for the opportunity to discuss this issue. For me, this issue speaks to a common problem that very few of us are exempt from. I call it the happiness trap. In my opinion, the majority of us (Lance Armstrong included) are attached to something; something that we believe will give us everything we desire and make us 'happy'. Whether it's fame, fortune, love, substances, shopping, food, health, fitness, status, success, etc. etc. etc, the list goes on and on. And it is through the unconscious pursuit of the things we are attached to that we experience pain and suffering (unconscious meaning that we pursue these things without recognizing they cannot actually make us happy). We think those things will make us happy but they can never, will never, ever make us happy. Happiness…true, authentic and lasting happiness can only ever come from connecting to and knowing the 'God' within us. While we place our happiness in things that shift, change and are impermanent, we remain in a constant state of powerlessness; always fearful and insecure, hopeful that our dreams will come true so we can accomplish what it is we need to accomplish in order to be happy. On a very deep level however, for many of us, a level beneath our consciousness we KNOW the only thing that can truly make us happy is our connection to our eternal ‘God’ selves. When we pursue our passions recognizing our source of happiness is within us, we are peaceful, joyful and powerful; we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that our happiness is never in the hands of someone or something outside of us. This, I believe, is the lesson each of us is faced with learning. This, I believe, Lance Armstrong is being faced with understanding. If he wasn't attached to success, fame, power, money or whatever it is he was attached to, he would never have made the choices he made. Winning would never have meant that much…he wouldn’t have ever needed it that much. It's unfortunate that he used his influence in this way however, if we all use his experience to unplug from flinging judgments and instead, get curious about our own attachments (because the majority of us have them), perhaps this experience can have a positive spin. No?

8. MatBoy says:

What I remember most from the interview is Lance saying he regretted making his comeback because that is what pissed off Floyd Landis and opened the can of worms. He believed he would not have been caught had he not tried to come back. He is still the same ole' Lance playing a new manipulation game with us. Will be curious to see if he really gets stripped of everything and returns to ground zero and whether he can build a new, credible life – I'm thinking Sister Theresa credible here.

9. LynnBonelli says:

Forgive me but I am also commenting on a few of the FB comments I read on your article. From what I understand blood doping adds oxygenated blood into one's system. As someone who has run a couple or half marathons and one full marathon, I can understand how this is actually not a MINOR issue (it seems someone implied that it was "small doses" and NOT methamphetimines, which I guess they think is worse??). Once the oxygen is depleted from your blood stream you feel fatigue, muscle cramps, total muscle shutdown (have you seen the runners who lose their ability to hold their bowels) and built up lactic acid. This not only allows you to go faster for longer but it also means you can train harder and more frequently than your competitors who are busy recovering. (cont)

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Yes, more oxygen in the blood when competing in any sport is a big deal. The guys with normal oxygenation didn't have a chance – is my understanding of it. But to be honest, any kind of cheating (any drug that gave any kind of edge) is just wrong in sport. It completely undermines the very purpose of the whole thing, and is a massive abuse of trust, which is what my article is really about.

10. LynnBonelli says:

I remember a story on Lance in which scientists were so impressed by his VOX and lactic thesholds…it was practically non-human. Recieving oxygenated blood is a huge deal…covering it up and suing others for defemation of character when you KNOW you are lying is an even bigger deal. I cannot imagine how he could look at those trophies, speak to aspiring athletes and kids, knowing he didn't win due to his own ability. I think it's sad that us 'mortals' have looked up to these athletes, work hard, read the sports science books, hired trainers in an attempt to be even a fraction "as good" as someone like Lance only to find out that he cheated…he set the bar higher than even HE could reach had he not cheated. (cont)

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Yes, don't know how he can look himself in the eye, although clearly he does it by convincing himself that it's not that serious or important. And on the grander scale he's right you know :)
      But on the human scale, where we have to attach importance to *something*, all the kids and people that he inspired are now feeling cheated…

11. LynnBonelli says:

But then again, as one FB commenter wrote, perhaps we give too much credit to athletes every where…we see professional who make more money than those trying to cure cancer, provide clean water and save the whales (etc. etc). And then to find out that (some) of them do so by doping (in any form) and we are supposed to take "I'm sorry" as a way to wiped the slate clean. I don't know…I'm rambling but this whole thing bothers me. Winning shouldn't be more important than the truth…keeping secrets shouldn't come at the expense of defaming whistle-blowers. It's too little to late for me.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Right, the whole system that we live in (which idolizes sports stars while people trying to provide clean water have no funding) is a disaster. We need to focus our attention (and use incidents like this to help us with that) to where it really matters…

12. mike says:

hmmmmm. what about YOUR shadows Ben, What are YOU truly sorry for?
    Until we face our OWN shadows no persons sorry will ever be enough.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Well Mike, I'd love to have a chat with you over a cold beer (or hot tea) where we discuss our innermost selves, but a) I don't know you, and b) it's not in any way relevant to this discussion.
      This is about someone who systematically lied, cheated, and abused in very ruthless ways. On a very personal level – see the first link in the post and on a global level.
      I see from your second comment below that you think "judgement" is a bad thing. Well, it's not. Judgementalism (being overly critical is harmful, but judgement in the form of discernment is a powerful force with which we learn about the world around us and (hopefully) change things for the better. That's what this is all about.

13. mike says:

Never mind Gun Control, how about 'Judgement' control!

14. Lisa Braddock says:

Very well said. I appreciate your comments on *many* different levels. Those who aspire to life on a higher plain while practicing deception and dishonesty will fail. Can't have both.

15. Laura says:

I am not that disappointed in Lance, because I never paid much attention to him in the first place.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Me too! But this is a good opportunity, as one commenter wrote above, to really examine some basic mechanisms that affect us all – in terms of fame, putting people on a pedestal, adulation, wealth, power, deception, abuse.

16. Timmy_Robins says:

I think the guy is a textbook sociopath. Worse yet, what if he used the cancer thing to his advantage?

17. Refreshing to read an opinion of Armstrong that doesn't drag Livestrong Foundation into the controversy.

18. Megan says:

Give me a break. And how is it that we don't recognize that the world is run on lies? Excuse me? A bicyclist lied for 7 of his victories?? National news. Oprah interview. Let's all have an international debate on the character of this one athlete. He is just an expression of the greater system that is in place. The Federal Reserve in USA, the banking system worldwide is every single day lying to every single person. How do they make their money? How is a debt society that enslaves made? We are so immune to the actual things that enslave us that we hardly hear any public debate on a national scale about it. However we can have our attention on an athlete that cheated. The government cheats everyday. How many billions are not accounted for in Iraq? How many billions are spent on wars where there were lies and we entered them illegally? As long as we focus on the small lies the big lies never have to be disclosed. Hello? Anybody have anything to say about the lies that keep the world turning that is destroying our freedom and financial security? Hello? Where is the uprising among the educated knowledgable base? Here is a 12 year old that tells it like it is:

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

The reason behind most of my work (including writing, videos, etc) is to expose what you are talking about in your comment, that I'd summarize in one word: abuse.
      Armstrong's story is really just a good way for us to discuss abuse (from my perspective).
      Thanks for the link to the video – interesting.
      I'm currently reading Sacred Economics, by Charles Eisenstein. You would like it.

19. Ben, I am so glad to see that you wrote this for EJ. I was honestly expecting to see an article with the apologist reasoning and persistent hero worship of Lance that I've seen in the past from this website. THANK YOU for speaking the truth about Truth.

20. Mati i says:

I was on the shame-on-you Lance A., until I realized that I was "judging" the wrong person. Not that he wasn't wrong and remorseless to boot. But he is, after all, just one man. The fault, in my opinion, lies in all of us. The same people who propped him up and idolized him. He was a great athlete, yes (regardless of his doping); but it was us who placed him on a pedestal merely for winning races (undeservedly or not). Our priorities as a society are completely skewed when athletes (good as they may be) earn millions and teachers, and other more vital professionals, barely make enough to live.

21. Megan says:

No judgement intended on anyone discussing it nor on Lance. I am not a follower of sports nor sports stars however I think it's the principal that is the same regardless the subject. These flawed humans are only mirrors of our own society's dysfunction. It absolutely has nothing to do with him as an individual. As a human race we are entering an age where we are truly coming into recognition that we are all ONE. There is only one consciousness of which we are all a part. I think withdrawal from the status quo conversations going on in mainstream is only way any real Truth will be uncovered. It never will come to light with the conditioned responses and even discussions and arguing points between parties it is just an illusion of some sort of truth seeking. In Truth the only way to uncover Truth is to get beyond conditioned thinking and this whole dialog with Lance as subject is conditioned media and world level drama that keeps us from seeking the real Truth. It is the bigger picture that counts otherwise we live within the illusion of having some choice and say in what happens in the world. Did anyone notice that we as a society have the same conversation time and time again? In different forms. How many fallen stars have we had? We have the same governments in different disguise but they are still all the same. Different versions of the same paradigm. The only way to start a new conversation is to refuse to play by the rules as they have been laid out for us within the pretax of a real conversation. Part of a conditioned mind is not knowing it's conditioned.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Megan, oneness is the fundamental reality.
      But superimposed upon that reality is another reality – that we are also (as well as essentially being, as you say, simply part of one consciousness), we are also animals, human beings, whose society is, as you also say, highly dysfunctional.
      Unfortunately many spiritual Seekers seek oneness (not realizing that it is what they are) and ignore the political, economic, societal realities of the world around them. That's not contributing to creating a new paradigm, it's actually supporting the old one through inaction.
      I believe we need to talk about stuff when it goes wrong in order to understand and change.

• Megan says:

We've been talking a long time about stuff and nothing has ever changed. The point of my comment is that how and what we engage in not that we don't engage. We've had a Lance in sports, celebrity, politicians on and on and each time it's a world news event that leads to nothing.
        Your assumption that people that call to action a new way of thinking and seeing is inaction is incorrect. Yet only those that thought differently (MLK for example) changed the world. Why was "Think Different' the most successful ad campaign of our time? The point is recognizing our conditioning, our conditioned mind that is the first step to change. It has nothing to do with inaction. The ones that changed the way they see the world by getting to the point of an unconditioned mind did great things. Echart Tolle has contributed greatly to the awakening of many masses of people those spiritually minded and those not. And the only action he took was an involuntary tripping into disassociation from the egoic mind and falling into the bliss of Beingness. FROM that point he moved mountains. From an unknown with no teachers simply the state of his consciousness propelled him to the world stage. That dear Ben, is all it takes. I mean it sincerely. The action that one takes from "choice" is within the old paradigm. Tolle did not choose his vocation it chose him. We all have our own fruitful destiny that awaits letting go of false identification with the egoic mind. The fact that there are plants and animals and humans is hardly related to the point. The only significance is our state of awareness. When we don't see the Oprah and Lance interview as another peg in the gerbil wheel of media food for the masses that keep the world spinning in it's dysfunctional axis, we miss the bigger picture which is that this is all conditioned and programmed thinking, thinking it is getting somewhere thus the illusion that we are making a difference. The greatest difference and only difference we can truly make is to step out of a conditioned mind. Except that a conditioned mind can't see it's own conditioning. Until something triggers it. And once you recognize it it is the beginning of the mass undoing. The Dalai Lama is engaged in the world and yet he formative years away from the world as a youngster he was trained in the ancient traditions and mystery schools such that he evolved unplugged from the mass media and noise we currently have 24/7. Only through having developed away from conditioning was he able to transcend the limitations of the conditioned mind and actually approach the world and do great things in it, treating even his "enemies" with compassion. All those that did great things in the world had Love as their basis first. Action second. Otherwise we are just spinning our wheels with the illusion that we are getting somewhere discussing the morals of a fallen bicycle hero. I'm not here to argue so there is no point in defending. I'm just trying to bring a bigger perspective to an old discussion.

22. Heather Morton HeatherM says:

What I remember most of his interview is when Oprah mentioned even his son was defending him. How do you explain such a 'lie' to your child? But as one news caster said and I agree, 'this is bigger than Lance.'

And it is.

Thanks for your article!!

23. sara says:

I blame him far more for the lengths he was willing to go to hide his cheating: Trying to ruin former friends and teammates, slander, threats, lawsuits…..all to keep the facade intact. Knowing as he gave his talks and looked people in the eye that not only had he cheated and lied about it, but was actually damaging people's lives as he lied about them, too. This is much more telling regarding his character and much more worthy of our judgment than how he won his races.

24. Natalie Baginski says:

I have been studing the yoga sutras this week, and it's interesting how the Yamas and Niyamas lay out these "observances" and "rules" for conduct, but really, one can only interpret these sutras at one's own level of consciousness. To a regular person like me, it sounds like "truthfulness" means don't lie and non-accumulation means "don't consume too much." But to one established in Cosmic Consciousness or beyond, like Maharishi Patanjali, these observances are spontaneous. Evolutionary action is natural when you are enlightened. For us normal folks, we are just doing as well as our level of consciousness will allow. Having said this, I have to agree with Ben because it's exhausting watching famous people and politicians work through their drama on TV and get attention and money and fame and book deals because they are struggling like the rest of us, but somehow it's more important than our little struggles? Everyone else is doping, it's the industry? Quit. If you love riding your bike, go ride your bike. Ride it fast, ride it hard, and enjoy it, and keep your blood and bones free from drugs and stay far far away from these people think that this kind of system is acceptable. It's not acceptable. And like any unhealthy relationship; you just leave. He could have not participated. He was so famous he could have started his own race somewhere for people who didn't want to use the drugs. I'm trying to be patient in traffic, Lance Armstrong wanted to win races…the guy next to me in this coffee shop is talking about being better at work…Lance is not special.

25. mike says:

It would have been more honest if this article took into account OUR personal role in this. Its interesting that the people least effected by this never really paid much attention to Lance in the first place. Lance is merely a mirror of something in all of us.
    We need to remember we are ALL vulnerable. Not everyone that cheats or lies is truly conscious of it…and I wonder what circumstances & pressure he was under. We are hard on Lance because we are hard on ourselves…lighten up!

• Margi says:

Hm. Yeah. What's healthy discernment and what's judgement(alism)…good discussion here….and food for thought…

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Come on Mike, have you lied to millions of people, bullied individuals out of their jobs, cheated honest sportsmen who didn't dope, betrayed close friends, and abused the trust of the sponsors and the general public?! I know I haven't.
      And what do you mean by "not everyone that cheats and lies is truly conscious of it"? It's hardwired into the human system to be truthful.
      Do you really believe for one second that Armstrong didn't know exactly what he was doing? He's admitted as much himself!

• michael says:

Ben, I don't know or care about Lance Armstrong, what I'm saying is we are all human & I agree we are hardwired to be truthful. I think we all need to consider the true situation he was under & what would make him go against his own 'hardwired' truth. We all do it on a daily basis, whether we are willing to admit it or not, we have to consciously realign ourselves all the time, the only difference is he is famous.

• Jules says:

Agreed. And also it's different scale (he lied to millions) but the underlying principal is the same. And to get outraged by his lying is to miss the bigger picture that it's a reflection of society as a whole therefore if we don't look where this is pointing we continue on the same road with the same judgements against those "horrible" liars how dare they while we don't see the principal that is relevant to all of us.

26. MatBoy says:

I though the LA interviews were riveting. Although I don't watch TV, I do read a lot of classics and generally prefer fiction. Just seeing him there, watching his emotional state, how he was still trying to hold on to the old 'strongman' Lance as his world was crashing down around him. Watching him look into his future and not being able to see anything, not know how it would work itself out. It was better than anything Dostoyevsky could have written and it was happening right before our eyes. I think the story has classic value, something that can stand the test of time.

He was still so controlled and COLD. He wants to return to competition although it ruined his, and many other people's, lives. Will he get over that and take the next step in maturity? I see it as his coming to a threshold where he will have to give up the things of his childhood and use his many talents and force of will in the greater community. Can he do it or does he just want to ride his bike around in circles faster than anyone else? Will he see the bigger picture, step down from his high position and embrace normal life like the rest of us? Can he survive his fall and truly experience and realize the freedom gained from telling the truth. Classic struggle, classic decision points. Clear archetypal value and significance for us all here. Better than fiction! It is the stuff good writing is made of.

27. GreatNorthSky says:

Great Controversies Always Bring Forth The Greatest Charges :: Energy That Is :: And Although There Is A Great Ebb and Flow In All The Post :: Casting The Shadow, In Anyway, Is Almost Always Dis-empowering, No Matter What :: Challenging, Hummmm, Yesss :: But There In Lays The Real SOUL Work :: There Is A Greater Play Here To See :: And Sure, It All Depends On Where We Are In Our Evolution or As Some May Express These Days, Elevation :: A Great Man Once Said ""Let He Who Is Without Sin, Cast The First Stone" :: These Incidences Always Have Lessons For All :: For They Provide Mirrors For All Of Us, If We Are Willing To Look Inward :: That's Why I Express Here "EYES ON THE TEACHER :: And In this Case Today, I Add :: EYES ON ALL THE TEACHERS :: Yesss, Thank You All For Participating and Sharing From Where You Currently Stand In Life, This Is The Beauty Of This Walk For All Of Us, Thank You For Posting This Article नमस्ते

28. Mac Bleakley says:

So, lets say I got the winning lottery number , as my brother works for the lottery company. He agreed to give me the number , and I agreed to give him part of the winnings. No one could ever find out.
    I get my share, spend all I can, and ,by the way ,start a foundation that saves thousands of lives in the meantime. My brother gets drunk, and brags about it, and it gets around that I won the lottery by cheating. But, there is no proof , no paper trail, nothing, that can show that I got the number from my brother. (And , by the way, I sue my brother for telling on me).
    If someone gives you the winning number, and then gives it to other people,too, but you play yours first and get all the money, are you gonna be guilty of cheating? Or are you gonna take the money and run?
    Mr Ralston, life is more important than truth! Would all those cancer survivors, because of Lance's foundation, rather be dead now , knowing that Lance got his money because he won on PEDs. Sorry, stupid question.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

I hear you Mac, but this has nothing to do with cancer. Please don't confuse the issues here. Cancer is an emotive subject…
      And comparing what Lance did to winning the lottery is a bit silly! in the lottery it's about luck. In sport it's about skill, hard work, dedication, discipline… and cheating robs (steals) from those that don't. Plain and simple.

• MatBoy says:

I think if someone had gamed the system specifically to help people with cancer there would not have been so much angst involved on the part of the protagonist; they would keep a low profile to 'get the job done'. In this case lance perpetuated a lie that ultimately cost him his relationships with everyone in his life including his kids and his mother. He is a lost soul right now and he is attempting to find something genuine in life again. We are not sure he can pull this off. Reminds me of 'Crime and Punishment' more than anything else.

29. Nancy says:

Spot on article! Lance Armstrong is an example of self-will run riot! I remember seeing a photo he tweeted of himself lying (no pun intended) on his couch with his trophies lining the wall behind him with some cocky remark about how bullet proof he is. As a mother of one child, I cannot imagine what his five children are now faced with as their father FINALLY cops to the masquerade that has been going on for possibly most of their childhood. He belongs with the Kardashians….please let him fade to black……

30. PamB says:

lanced http://www.karenmaezenmiller.com/lanced/ Try this analysis for another view that is deeply thoughtful without judging or forgiving.

31. sze says:

there may be no right or wrong as its a matter of perspective but every action there is a consequence. I guess Lance had to face the consequences of his actions just like all of us. what goes around comes around..:)

32. Lavra says:

Dear Ben, this is all about those cancer survivors!
    Maybe a child who got the strength from the idea of Lance to win that cancer before all this and how that child might be feeling right now. No other issue here.

33. Lavra says:

P.S. I tried to include all those planes of existence or wherever we might be in our evolution :-)

34. umang dave says:

IS MEMBERSHIP FREE? PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW CAN I BECOME A MEMBER?
    umang.201078@gmail.com

35. bill romas says:

truly in the end if there is such a "place", all there will be is Love, why wait?

36. [...] I read the caption “disgraced” under Lance Armstrong’s photo documenting the interview of him finally admitting to drug use throughout his notorious cycling career, I wondered if he would [...]

37. [...] was my hero. His lack of integrity disappoints. How many times has that happened in love? He lusted after that jersey like a dope fiend lusts after [...]