Do you remember when you learned to ride a bike?
Wasn’t it exhilarating?
Your ride likely took you down sun-drenched trails and around the neighborhood in a fraction of the time it took to walk. Not only is riding a bike a fun activity, you can do for just five minutes or enjoy for over an hour, but you’re also getting a great workout and improving so many different aspects of your life.
Here are just a few of the many benefits of riding a bike:
Biking is great for fitness and can help you in the following areas:
• Muscle tone—every muscle will get a workout from your arms to your feet.
• Cardiovascular fitness—getting your heart rate up will help to keep it strong.
• Weight loss—consistent biking can take off unwanted pounds.
• Stamina—prepare yourself to be surprised at the extra energy you gain.
If you go biking for as little as 30 minutes, you can burn up to 500 calories depending on how fast you pedal. That’s almost the equivalent of two candy bars.
When you’re on a bike you are using your brain, and that will help improve:
• Mental focus—you will stay sharp, solve problems more quickly and be more creative.
• Relieve stress—there’s nothing like pedaling away your worries.
• Be happier—biking helps your motivation and can give you a positive attitude.
Bike riding is a perfect activity to do with friends and family. Go on bike trips together to bond, get outdoors and exercise, all at the same time. It’s a great time to chat and spend time together without the typical distractions. You could even enter races to benefit your city or favorite cause.
Using a bike to get around is much cheaper than using a vehicle. If you live within biking distance of your job, why not save on gasoline and maintenance and just bike to work? Imagine all the money you could save on car repairs and insurance, even a speeding ticket, just by using your bicycle more often.
Help the Environment
If people chose to bike ride more than use their cars, there would be a significant decrease in harmful carbon emissions.
Bike riding can help with:
• A better, restful sleep.
• A strengthened immune system so you can keep from getting sick.
• A better metabolism. You can snack on high sodium or carb snacks before a vigorous bike ride and not feel guilty about it.
If you don’t own a bike yet, it’s time to get one.
Like elephant Bicycle on Facebook
Ed: Brianna Bemel
Assistant Ed: Amy Cushing
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 438 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 60,836 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 16,535 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,651 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,584 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,596 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,035 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,079 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 871 shares Stop Euthanizing Pets. 1,145 share