So how exciting can a spinal twist be?
But a twist on the ol’ twist can make you feel like you’re being introduced to your spine again. Spine, meet you. You, meet a happier spine.
1. Sit and bend your knees.
2. Put the strap around the arches of your feet and cross the strap over to your left hip.
3. Wrap your right arm around your back to grab the strap (near your left hip).
4. The other hand goes on the strap, too—close to your feet. So far so good, right?
5. For the actual pose, straighten your legs and let that motion draw you into the twist. The picture makes it self-explanatory. Sit upright and stay for a minute or for six s-l-o-w breaths.
6. Repeat on the other side: Bent knees, strap crosses to your right hip, left arm wraps around the back to grab the strap off your right hip, straighten your legs. Let your spine breathe.
And hey, if this feels so good that you want to spend two or three minutes on each side, go right ahead.
Benefits: A nice, gentle, everybody-can-do-this back stretch that’s easier than other more traditional twists.
Avoid if: Well… this pose is pretty safe. If your shoulders or hips start hurting in this pose, slack off on the strap till neither shoulder nor hips hurt.
Final thoughts: If—after trying the “Better Spinal Twist”—your ego chimes in with, “Dude, I can do poses much harder than this!” be sure to hear your back reply, “Which is why I’m tight and desperate for a nice, gentle twist!”
Like elephant yoga and elephant health & wellness on facebook.
Ed: Lynn Hasselberger
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 463 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 74,336 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 18,129 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,930 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,786 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,697 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,070 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,130 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 961 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,532 share