So how exciting can a spinal twist be?
But a twist on the ol’ twist can make you feel like you’re being introduced to your spine again. Spine, meet you. You, meet a happier spine.
1. Sit and bend your knees.
2. Put the strap around the arches of your feet and cross the strap over to your left hip.
3. Wrap your right arm around your back to grab the strap (near your left hip).
4. The other hand goes on the strap, too—close to your feet. So far so good, right?
5. For the actual pose, straighten your legs and let that motion draw you into the twist. The picture makes it self-explanatory. Sit upright and stay for a minute or for six s-l-o-w breaths.
6. Repeat on the other side: Bent knees, strap crosses to your right hip, left arm wraps around the back to grab the strap off your right hip, straighten your legs. Let your spine breathe.
And hey, if this feels so good that you want to spend two or three minutes on each side, go right ahead.
Benefits: A nice, gentle, everybody-can-do-this back stretch that’s easier than other more traditional twists.
Avoid if: Well… this pose is pretty safe. If your shoulders or hips start hurting in this pose, slack off on the strap till neither shoulder nor hips hurt.
Final thoughts: If—after trying the “Better Spinal Twist”—your ego chimes in with, “Dude, I can do poses much harder than this!” be sure to hear your back reply, “Which is why I’m tight and desperate for a nice, gentle twist!”
Like elephant yoga and elephant health & wellness on facebook.
Ed: Lynn Hasselberger
hot on elephant
How I stopped Speed Dating my Passions & finally Committed. 236 shares New Moon in Scorpio: Only those who Believe in Magic will Find It. 6,448 shares She Smiles as she Cries: the Story of High-functioning Depression. 5,105 shares A Homemade Buddhist Ritual for Letting Go. 620 shares 10 Things to Know about Dating a Scorpio (& Why they Love Sex). 605 shares Living with C-PTSD Following an Abusive Relationship. 2,915 shares November Energy Forecast: Love & the Twin Flame magic of 11:11. 1,686 share Why we must Break to Heal. 1,042 share Why it’s Okay we Won’t ever have Sex. 309 shares To my Diego: 4 Poems by Frida Kahlo that Demonstrate the Exquisite Nature of Love. 656 shares