10 Mindful & Fun Things to Do instead of Watching the Super Bowl.
I’m not really a football person.
I’m not even totally sure who’s in it this year. I was at a party last night and someone mentioned something about Baltimore (Orioles? Kidding… Sort of). I like to think of the Super Bowl as a commercial special with a little bit of football in between. Sort of like the sports people’s version of the Oscars. In fact, I often use Super Bowl Sunday to see any of the Oscar noms that I haven’t watched yet.
So, if like me, the Super Bowl isn’t really your thing, a few other ideas:
1. Read a book. Grab something you’ve always wanted to read and get to it.
2. Have a progressive dinner with a few other non-football loving friends.
Try a recipe you’ve never made before (and pick up some champagne in case the results are less than stellar).
3. Call your local nursing home and ask if you can bring some special treats over.
It’s always good to ask because policies on this vary, but even if you just bring yourself, you will be amazed at how much they brighten your day in addition to the reverse.
4. Make some homemade Valentines to send out to people you love.
5. If it’s snowy, shovel your driveway or walk—and your neighbor’s.
6. Brush up on your Shakespeare!
Don’t laugh—I’m serious! When was the last time you read or watched The Bard? So many of our expressions and our current entertainment have their roots in Shakespeare. Read As You Like It aloud with friends and your favorite wine; you won’t regret it.
7. Go ice skating and then warm up with some cocoa.
8. Visit your local humane society and give some cuddles to the cats and dogs waiting for homes.