Federal GMO Labeling Bill Launches Out of Boulder, Colorado.
It is fitting that Boulder is home to Congressman Jared Polis who, on Wednesday February 20th, 12:30pm at Alfalfa’s Market, is announcing his federal bill to label GMO in our food supply. This bill will ensure that GMOs are labeled on food packages in the same way that nutrition and ingredient labels are standardized in all 50 states throughout the nation.
Boulder was ground zero for an epic battle to protect our public farm lands from intensive chemical agriculture and GMOs.
The outcome of that battle produced three positive elements:
- GMO Alfalfa was banned (GMO corn and GMO sugar beets were allowed).
- Boulder County adopted policy to transition to organic agriculture; 20% by 2020.
- Boulder County adopted language to support Federal labeling of GMOs in the food supply.
One year later, Representative Polis has taken up the mantle of leadership to help protect organic agriculture and to ensure that every citizen has a ‘Right to Know‘ what is in the food they are eating by labeling those that contain GMOs.
There is no more fitting place for this rally and announcement than right here at home in Boulder at our very own Alfalfa’s Market. Alfalfa’s is a staunch supporter of organic agriculture and in keeping GMOs labeled so that their consumers can make the best choices for themselves.
Please come out to Alfalfa’s on Wednesday February 20th at 12:30pm for the press conference and let Alfalfa’s treat you to GMO-free hors d’oeuvres, coffee and a rip-roarin’ celebration of this heralded legislation.
Congressman Jared Polis’ Press Release:
CONGRESSMAN JARED POLIS
GMO Labeling, Freedom to Know, Gains Support in Washington
Rep. Polis to join local activists to raise awareness February 20
BOULDER—Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO) is the lead co-sponsor of a federal Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) labeling bill, which will require that accurate information be disclosed to consumers when food contains a genetically engineered material or is produced with such material. Following state GMO labeling efforts in California, Hawaii, New Mexico, Missouri and Washington State, this federal bill will grant consumers the right to know what they are eating.
“I am proud to help lead the GMO Labeling Bill, which is all about consumer choice and information,” said Congressman Jared Polis. “It’s important to empower people with the information they need to make their own healthy choices. People have the right to make consumer decisions based on accurate transparency in labeling, and knowledge is power.”
This event will be hosted by local food grocer, Alfalfa’s Market. Mark Retzloff, organic foods pioneer, co-founder and President of Alfalfa’s states, “As someone who has devoted his life and 43-year career to ensuring consumers have access to healthy organic foods, I think that consumers have a right to know how their food is produced, and the vast majority of consumers polled say they want to know if their food has been genetically modified. A federal labeling standard for GMO ingredients is the best choice for consumers and product manufacturers, as it provides transparency on the label and requires the same labeling standard for all manufacturers, regardless of their location or production methods.”
Genetically Modified Organisms have become an important part of our food supply, but today consumers have little ability to identify which products contain them.
- – Over 50 countries around the world have significant restrictions or bans on GMO foods.
- – According to a recent Washington Post article, 94% of Americans believe genetically modified foods should be labeled.
- – An estimated 85 percent of U.S. corn is genetically engineered and 91 percent of soybeans.
- – An estimated 70 percent of processed foods on supermarket shelves–from soda to soup, crackers to condiments–contain genetically engineered ingredients.
- – The organic food business, which is under threat from the uncontained spread of GMOs, is estimated at 30 billion dollars a year in the United States
- – Mandatory labeling requirements for genetically engineered food produced in the United States would facilitate national trade by allowing American farmers and companies to export and appropriately market their products to foreign customers.
The GMO Labeling bill:
- – States that consumers have a right to know whether the food they purchase contains or was produced with genetically engineered material.
- – Defines the term genetically modified organism including plants, animals and fish and requirements for labeling.
- – Provides a framework of civil penalties for violations.
Congressman Polis will be hosting a public event regarding the GMO Labeling Bill at Alfalfa’s Market, 1651 Broadway Street in Boulder on February 20th at 12:30 pm.
Bonus “Right to Know” Video—Celebrities Speak Out Against GMOs
Mary VonBreck is government consultant currently engaged in the issues of organic agriculture. She has co-founded and run the GMO Free Boulder campaign with Steve Demos, Founder, Silk, WhiteWave Foods, Next Foods, GoodBelly Probiotic Fruit Drink and Mark Retzloff, Founder, Horizon, Alfalfa’s, The Organic Center. They have since launched the Organic Open Space campaign to transition Boulder public farm lands to organic agriculture. Prior to her work in the organic food industry she has successfully written and passed legislation to curb child drugging in schools, juvenile justice and foster care. She lives in Boulder, Colorado, except on powder days.
Like elephant green on Facebook.
Ed. T. Lemieux
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,410 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 23,340 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 15,787 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,085 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 160 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,264 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 464 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,858 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 428 shares