How many Bunnies did we Torture this Morning? ~ Jennifer Spesia

Via on Mar 13, 2013

good human lab testing bunnies

On March 11, 2013, the European Union (EU) made it official—any cosmetic company who wishes to sell their products in the EU must not torture bunnies, cats, dogs, mice, guinea pigs or any other living creature to do so.

The only cosmetics available for purchase in the EU now, are cosmetics developed through cruelty-free means. This means 500 million consumers are now using products which do not torture, maim or kill innocent animals. This is huge!

Have you seen some of the animal testing videos on Peta’s website? They’re horrifying! And, did you know 219 animals per minute are dying alone and in misery in laboratory cages, for lipstick and mascara?

We talk a lot about mindfulness and the importance of being aware, but mindfulness doesn’t just refer to meditation practice. We can bring mindfulness to every area of our lives, including being mindful and conscious consumers.

It’s important we understand where our food comes from and how it was grown, and it’s just as important to know what is in the products we use and how they were developed and tested.

Personally, I feel better putting mascara on knowing a bunny didn’t lose its eyeball for me. Kinda’ feels like there could be some bad karma or juju attached to that, doesn’t it?

If you are interested in learning more about which companies do and do not use animal testing, click here.

If you are interested in being part of the solution instead of part of the problem, and you would like to take the cruelty-free pledge, click here.

The pledge states: Testing on animals is cruel and unnecessary. By signing this pledge, I refuse to spend my money on companies that make animals suffer for their products or to support corporations that abuse animals.

Please share this information with all your family and friends. Each one of us can choose to make a difference for ourselves, and for the bunnies.

Jennifer SpesiaJennifer Spesia is a yoga teacher, world traveler, psychotherapist, philosopher, seeker, practitioner of Eastern spiritual traditions, Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Cote d’Ivoire, West Africa), human companion to three amazing dogs and eternal student. She will complete her PhD in Psychology in 2013 and is looking forward to having the time to read books for pleasure again soon. You can connect with Jennifer via her Bhadra Yoga Facebook page or her blog.

Like elephantjournal for animal rights on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

About elephant journal

9 Responses to “How many Bunnies did we Torture this Morning? ~ Jennifer Spesia”

1. SaraCrolick says:

I hope this is a tipping point for other countries. The use of animals for anything (but *especially* cosmetics) is just absurd. Thanks for sharing this! I'm posting on my blog page too. xo

• Jennifer Spesia says:

I agree Sara, and I hope we're next to make changes like this (but I'm not holding my breath). It's disgusting what these defenseless innocent animals are subjected to in the name of vanity. It's truly shameful and sad this is still happening. More people need to be outraged about this, so I deeply appreciate you sharing it on your blog page too. Widespread systemic change needs to happen and we the consumers need to demand it. The more people are informed the better. Thanks again! :-)

2. Laura Aguirre says:

As a long time Member and supporter of PETA and their animal compassion activism, I whole-heartedly agree with you my beautiful Cousin! They make it so easy for the everyday consumer to live their life in a more aware and cruelty-free way. Thank you for sharing via your blog!

• Jennifer Spesia says:

Thank you Laura! I was absolutely thrilled to see the EU banned the sale of cosmetics tested on animals, and then it upset me to think how far we probably are from doing the same. Like I said to Sara above, these changes aren't going to come voluntarily; we the consumers need to demand them. The more we get the word out and help people understand what is happening to animals, unnecessarily, the faster change can happen. Thank you! And please share! :-)

3. Gabriela says:

I agree that it's shameful and a disgrace that we are using animal testing in the name of vanity, as someone above just mentioned. However, I find your article a bit general and oversimplistic, for example your pledge and your definition of "products". I would like to know what you think about testings done on animals in the name of science/medicine? Would you like to stop that as well and see people suffer/not find a cure? Research using animals is an unavoidable part of our efforts to beat cancer, for example. Would you refuse to buy medicine that was tested on animals, if you were really sick or if your child needed it? I think this discussion needs a broader perspective and by limiting it to "don't buy products that were tested on animals" we limit our understanding and make ourselves feel unnecesarilly auto-sufficient (which we're not, we depend on these animals and on the research done on them). I understand where you're coming from, however, I'd like to see a more round discussion.

• Jennifer S. says:

I absolutely do not support testing on animals, for anything, including "science". It is not necessary. If it is something we would not test on a human then what gives us the right to torture and/or murder an innocent animal? Animals are sentient beings on this earth and we have no right to use them for anything just because we're bigger and have more weapons than them. They were not put here to be tortured by us for any purpose, vanity or scientific or otherwise.
      As for the cancer question, I think we focus far too much energy on finding a cure and not the cause. We need to treat the root cause and not the symptoms, so no, I would honestly not take any medication for cancer, period, because nothing on the market does what it should and often only creates more problems.
      I do everything I can to ensure I do not purchase any products tested on animals, or rely on Western medicine for any kind of "healing" for that matter, as that is not what Western medicine does. I agree, there needs to be a much broader discussion about animal-testing, which is why I shared this…to open up the dialogue. I think we have come too far to continue to abuse, maim, torture, and slaughter sentient beings. We're better than that.

I appreciate your thoughts Gabriela, thank you for writing. :-)

4. Carolina says:

Great news! A big step in the right direction. Thanks for sharing. This added happiness to my day. :)

5. Nike Merritt says:

You must understand that prey animals choose that life to learn a lesson of scrifice to educate their soul at that level of existence. A human who gives their life for another is hailed as a hero, yet you degrade the sacrifice of these animals as a shame.. We all have done this in a past life, it is a level all souls must pass through to understand sacrifice. Rabbits are not an endangered species.

6. Bob says:

Nike Merritt is a blathering twit.