The Secret to Happiness: Happy International Happiness Day!

Via on Mar 20, 2013
elephant

“To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.” ~ William Blake

Today is the first ever United Nations International Day of Happiness—a date intended to celebrate the United Nation’s commitment to “better capture the importance of the pursuit of happiness and well-being in development with a view to guiding their public policies.”

In celebration, I’ve ‘scrinched’ my eyebrows and spent at least the last 15 minutes perusing my inner-being looking for the very best advice on happiness.

After only the most careful reflection, I have whittled and distilled my wandering thoughts down to just these…

My three simple steps towards happiness:

1. Breathe.

2. Let go.

3. Follow your heart (no matter where it might go).

(repeat)

So, Happy International Happiness Day! Go out into this world, explore…discover… and pursue your biggest and wildest and craziest dreams.

And in that most spectacular process of wandering about, try your best to also make someone else’s day.

P.S. Yes, ‘scrinch’ is a word—well, at least it is to me.

Bonus Video: Ellen DeGeneres and Tom Shadyac on Happiness:

YouTube Preview Image

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

Ed: Kate Bartolotta

About Tara Lemieux

Tara Lemieux is a mindful wanderer, and faithful stargazer. She is an ardent explorer and lover of finding things previously undiscovered (or, at the very least, mostly not-uncovered.) When she’s not writing, you can find her walking in the woods and sometimes changing the way we look at things, one simple moment at a time. You can contact her at via her website Mindfully Musing or, take one second to "LIKE" her on Facebook at Tara's Facebook Page. Or email her directly at tara@taralemieux.com. All roads will lead to one home, and rest assured she (and Nudnick, the wonder dog) would LOVE to hear from you.

12 Responses to “The Secret to Happiness: Happy International Happiness Day!”

1. Keturah says:

Love your prospective, thank you again!

It's Tom Shadyac..btw :)

2. RAS says:

"If only we could stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time" ~ Edith Wharton.

• Tara Lemieux Tara Lemieux says:

RAS – good point, happiness isn't something we *do* … happiness just is. :)

• RAS says:

A senior and skilful Buddhist nun I know put it aptly and memorably:

"I was never really happy until I realized that I could never be really happy."

What most of us refer to as happiness is temporary and ephemeral, mostly conditioned by getting what we what we want and not getting what we don't want. And neither can or does keep us "happy" (In the accepted sense) for very long.

The secret to a contented and peaceful heart (as opposed to "happiness") is, perhaps, found in your second point.

As Ajahn Chah put it, "Let go a little and you'll get a little peace. Let go a lot and you'll get a lot of peace. Let go completely and you'll get complete peace."

Though that's more easily said than done. :-)

• Tara Lemieux Tara Lemieux says:

Well then, for today ~ I feel completely at peace :-) I think perhaps we should both pen a letter to the UN explaining peace is the way to happiness…Tara

• RAS says:

Great idea, Tara.

If we had a real peace day everywhere on the planet, observed by everyone on the planet, just one day of the year, what an incredible, unprecedented day that would be.

That would, indeed, be a "happy" day.

• Tara Lemieux Tara Lemieux says:

How's about you and I – we shall 'bookmark' tomorrow? Sure, there's only just the two of us… but, if we start small and work outwards.. I believe we can make quite a dent. :)

• RAS says:

It's a deal!

3. Snowyogi says:

Greensky Bluegrass uses that William Blake quote on a wonderful song called Tuesday Letter. Give er a listen!

4. Hello to all, as I am genuinely keen of reading this

webpage’s post to be updated daily. It includes fastidious stuff.