J.K. Rowling to Release New Harry Potter Novel. [April Fool's Day edition]

Via on Apr 1, 2013

Source: google.co.uk via Sarah on Pinterest

In a surprisingly unpublicized interview, Harry Potter creator, J.K. Rowling, confirmed that she is in the early stages of a new installment of the Harry Potter series.

Rowling, who insisted that the seventh novel—Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—would conclude her work with the beloved Hogwart’s students, has reconsidered. Despite pressures to expand on the adult adventures of central characters, Rowling will move to a subplot largely unexplored—the life trials of Voldemort before the birth of little Harry Potter.

The new novel, which is yet to be named, will use Voldemort as a central character, as the reader will have the opportunity to engage more deeply with the life events and psychology of “Tom Riddle” the villain’s childhood/teenaged identity.

While Rowling has interwoven Voldemort’s past and rise to power into the Harry Potter plot line, she felt readers would benefit from a concentrated account of Voldemort’s difficult past. However, readers can anticipate many of the cherished adult characters to surface in the new novel including Sirius Black, Severus Snape, Dumbledore, as well as Harry’s parents, Lilly and James Potter.

While Voldemort deserves little sympathy for his ruthless behaviors, readers might find themselves surprised at the level of empathy possible when they walk through his difficult life with him, Rowling alluded. The monster was a man at one time—a thinking, feeling, reasoning and oftentimes hurting man.

Rowling, who was named the first billionaire author by the Guinness Book of World Records, reached incredible success with her Harry Potter series as well as the subsequent movie series. The seven novels have brought in nearly eight billion dollars in total sales, having sold over 400 million copies.

In a 2012 interview with The Guardian, J.K. Rowling said of her future writing endeavors, “I am the freest author in the world. I can do whatever the hell I like.” While at the time Rowling spoke of branching out to different genres, it will come to the delight of millions that “whatever,” in this case, is a return to the world of magic.

Ed: Brianna Bemel

About Sara Crolick

Sara Crolick is whiskey in a teacup. She loves elephants, vegetables, vintage typewriters, Audrey Hepburn and the written word, but not necessarily in that order. She raises two inspiring boys with her mister, who is a bona fide music-maker; this works out nicely, as she happens to also love music. You can connect with her via her site, Conversations with a Human Heart, her author page on Facebook and on Twitter, too.

47 Responses to “J.K. Rowling to Release New Harry Potter Novel. [April Fool's Day edition]”

1. nell says:

That is such a mean April fools joke

2. HPFan says:

WAY too mean!! I totally fell for this one thou!

3. Shelly says:

This is SOOOO mean!!! :(

4. It's a shame that this is a joke, it would be amazing to have a greater insight on Voldemort's life when he was still Tom Riddle.

5. SaraCrolick says:

I'm sad it's a joke and I wrote it! I would love to see things from Voldemort's perspective. I'm sorry if this was a little too cruel, I was torn about posting. Happy April Fools' Day, Friends xoxo

6. Potterfan says:

Considering how many people want more Harry Potter, you're basically kicking an entire generation's sacred cow.

Thanks.

• SaraCrolick says:

Well, my intention is never sacrilege, plus I'm a vegan—I hope you (and your cow) forgive me.

7. Dan says:

OH. DAMN.
    You so broke my heart.
    This is EXACTLY what I would have wanted prequel to be.
    You had me sold. It's gonna take me a while to get over this one.

8. Jody says:

You are truly evil and should be ashamed of yourself.

9. mark walch says:

Normally Id be against such an idea but seeing as it,s Rowling theres hope this could be spectacular. It,s just a bloody shame it,s not true lol.

10. dis aint fair….got my hopes high up….am really waiting for a continuation..especially along the lines of voldemort, james and lily in school, sirius nd bellatrix's family tree…in short i would love to read alot more about the history(s) before harry's story began…now yhu gat me cryin, wishin it were true….*sobs*

11. Lyra says:

This is a terrible joke. I hate you.

12. Sandra Wosk says:

Never mind the Voldemort book… I would like a book that tells you why it took 19 years in the last film before Harry etc was seen again.. How did they fix Hogwarts? Harrys' wedding. The birth of the children and the best question, why doesn't Draco Malfoy acknowledge Harry Potter. After all he did save his life?

• Ang says:

the 7th book skips 19 years so thats why they did that in the movie too. in the book they do acknowledge each other, but the hatred was so ingrained growing up that they dont just become friends

• Phillip says:

It doesn't sound like a very exciting book. You seem to want to go back to the whimsical happy days characteristic of the earlier novels. I much prefer the dark nightmare into which the series ultimately evolved. A prequel would, in my opinion, be the way to go, but if you insist on a sequel, remember that a bitter Dolores Umbridge still languishes in Azkaban, not to mention Lucius, who slunk back into the shadows at the end of Deathly Hallows. As for Draco, I can answer that question with one word: Malfoy. In fact, there's no reason to assume that, just because they have remained neutral with each other for nineteen years, Draco isn't still a potential villain. His silence could easily be taken as two decades of jealousy quietly escalating to very adult hatred.

13. Sarah says:

There goes my heart. ): I got all excited and now my hopes are crushed.
    Nice article though.

14. Rhona says:

I nearly cried when I realized it was a joke. So, so cruel.

And I say that as someone who left a ‘Chore Camp’ brochure (complete with note to my husband indicating that the kids were registered)out for my children for April Fool’s Day.

15. Leme says:

Can't do that. Too mean woman.

16. grace says:

wow…i actually fell for that. that is really mean…

17. freespiritedwriter says:

Owww. I was really excited. :(

18. pouneh says:

i think im gonna cry… guys we should petition rowling to write this. what do you say?

19. ante says:

You just crushed my 11year olds heart. Enjoy your day.

• SaraCrolick says:

Goodness, ante! That breaks my heart! Since late in the day on the 1st, the article has been updated with {April Fools' Edition}, which we at elephantjournal had hoped would be a tip off. Please let your 11year old that I send my deepest apologies, this was supposed to be in the spirit of fun.

20. joie says:

I hope J.K Rowling sees the comments and really reconsider… still not giving up hope that she will write another story about the magical world….

21. Flordeliz-Joy Pansag says:

What the freaking hell ??? And here I am thinking that I will have again that thirst to search for that freaking book!!! Argh, disgusting!

You just killed my longing heart! Hope you're happy now!

22. Jen says:

that is beyond cruel, getting my hopes up like that. I didn’t even read it on April Fools day!

23. MsCunningLinguistic says:

I am really, truly upset right now.

24. Alexis says:

19,620 Views = 19,620 Dreams Dashed

One of the only April Fools Jokes I ALMOST fell for. Good Job!

25. someone says:

I read this without realising it was published on april fools. i hope youre happy with your life *sobs in a corner*

26. daniel morales says:

dude fuck you! that was not funny at all.

27. Uls says:

You won't do this AGAIN! this is no joke…

28. Mary says:

I was in a total stage of fangirling running around my room like a crazy just at the thought of a new book. I even new is was a joke. I'm sad.

29. Samantha says:

This is absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to read it!!!!!!!!!! :P Yay!!!!!!!

30. misterwhy says:

the fanfic writers will totally absorb and expand on this idea

31. Ibbie says:

How dare you kick me in my heart

32. A person says:

Dont worry guys there is another potter book coming (its not about harry though) Rowling said its in the works to bbc

33. solembun says:

you just broke my 11 year old heart. and im a different kid.

34. Will says:

Wow great joke! Had I came across this in April it may actually have fooled me to some degree. Keep up the good work. Looks and a sense of humor with a brain call me impressed. I think I will just have to come back a view more of your writing skills. :-)

35. Fabi says:

I am watching Harry Potter right now and I saw this on Facebook and Instagram and i had to see if it was true! Its September now and I didn’t think it was an April Fools joke because its not April any more! This is the worst April Fools joke in the history of jokes.

36. He car insurance ks will want to get the ball rolling.

In case you need to consider while purchasing car insurance, your choices are very limited.

There are some major credit card company, a neighboring

state may have information on California state auto insurance.

It is less likely to car insurance ks be aware of.

37. It’s as if you discover my thoughts! A person looks to recognize a whole lot about it, such as you had written the ebook there or something like that. I feel that you just can do by % to be able to strength the material residence somewhat, but rather than in which, that is fantastic blog. An amazing read through. I most certainly will definitely be returning.