Via on Apr 16, 2013

Update: a brilliant parody: Dove Experiment Parody: How Men See Ourselves. {Video}

We are beautiful.

This is amazing, and moving, and feels true.

From Dove:

Women are their own worst beauty critics. Only 4% of women around the world consider themselves beautiful. At Dove, we are committed to creating a world where beauty is a source of confidence, not anxiety. So, we decided to conduct a compelling social experiment that explores how women view their own beauty in contrast to what others see. Watch the whole experience at: http://dove.com/realbeautysketchesJoin the conversation at: #wearebeautiful

And don’t forget: YOU are more beautiful than you think!

Note: this is a feel-good marketing campaign via Dove soap, “Dove Real Beauty Sketches,” not art or science that owes no fealty to anything but the truth.

A top comment on reddit: “It’s not a f*cking scientific experiment.

It’s a commercial designed to get ugly middle-aged women to buy soap.”

About elephant journal

11 Responses to “Sketch artist draws women how they describe themselves vs. how they are described by others. (Illustrations)”

1. Dawn Wesselby says:

Lovely concept as we never see ourselves the way others do. It would be nice to see photos of the ladies next to the drawing a. What a shame Dove doesn't care as much about animals. Not approved by the BUAV, not going in my shopping basket.

2. jennifer says:

I know this is a marketing campaign, but it is really powerful nonetheless. I still wont buy Dove, but I loved the idea.

3. Michael says:

The last comments regarding not being a f***ing scientific experiment and trying to get ugly middle aged women to buy soap, is just as telling as the project. Clearly in our society we still view women critically as if beauty is measured by high cheek bones and the perfect body, face, hair. The music we listen to and the ridiculous television shows that are produced add to our demeaning women in society. It has created a self-confidence problem with younger women that devalues who they are as persons. I believe that this project is just an example of that effect.

4. Sarah says:

I'm surprised this is posted…Dove exists and does these very strategic marketing campaigns for one reason: to get you to buy their products which are intended to make you less wrinkly, more even skin toned, blah blah blah, more beautiful. Dove is a part of the problem, *not* an answer. Yes, those women are beautiful and they don't know it. Because of companies like dove that go after womens insecurities to get them to buy things to make them more beautiful.

Women are not just beautiful (without Dove products.) We're intelligent, powerful, intuitive, and have a lot more to offer. I'm sick of companies like Dove trying to get us all to focus on fixing the body image problem they created. Want to feel beautiful (and find out you're a lot more than the way you look?) Stop watching all commercials, Dove included.

5. Cat says:

Beautiful!

6. Angela says:

This campaign isn't beautiful or moving or "real," it's an insulting piece of marketing that once again makes women's physical beauty their sole defining quality. Screw Dove.

7. JoAnn says:

Why the criticism ? This commercial did not make me want to go but soap !! It brought to our attention something that has been talked about and read about for years but a perception of how some people see themselves . I am one if these people that look in the mirror and see myself bigger and all my flaws more animated then I have been told I am . So I relate to this commercial .

8. djdoctorda says:

This article lays out the critiques pretty well. http://jazzylittledrops.tumblr.com/post/481186451

9. It’s remarkable to pay a quick visit this site and reading the views of all friends about this paragraph, while I am also eager of getting know-how.

10. Debbie Lynn says:

The irony here is, how it (this ad) turned a lot of "beautiful Women" (here in this forum) vile, with hateful comments…
    It is a commercial that Rings truth.
    Ego ego ego… WoW. If you get to the heart of it – it struck a cord, (for me) and probably hurt more in places that most keep buried. Bravo to the point of this which is; simply how most of us view our bodies.- not so good? Not rainbows, or super models – real people.
    Quit blaming what is not blamable – Hello accountability ?

11. Steffi K says:

I didn't think about the commercial aspect at all. I thought it was a very powerful exercise and every woman I know should watch this to learn how much more beautiful they are than they think they are.