Are Children Natural Vegans? {Video}

Via on May 31, 2013

Meat Soup

The decision to go vegan came in my 20s—I committed myself to making drastic dietary changes because my health was failing.

Today, I see PETA propaganda, animal rights pioneers and all these people with adorable adopted pets and I think, I wish I had done it for the animals.

In actuality, it was a selfish move. My shiny vegan label came in the wake of desperation to cure an ailing body. Prior to my health issues I enjoyed steak (the rarer, the better), burgers, chicken and bacon in moderation. I was never meat-obsessed—I flirted with vegetarianism several times—but I had little issue with the idea of a society that consumed meat. In fact, I had so little issue with it, I never thought about it at all.

Once my vegan diet was firmly in place, the lifestyle changes became a gradual, but inevitable, extension.

You’ll be hard-pressed to open a book on veganism that does not address the horrific deaths that animals are forced to endure with factory farming. You’ll have difficulties blocking the practices of the fur trade, industrialized dairy farms or the egg industry from your mind. You’ll find yourself contemplating where those sexy leather shoes came from and wondering if you can ever go back to that blissful state of ignorance.

You can’t.

Something about the vegan diet connects you to these animals and their stories. We tap into a child-like understanding of what it means to respect life.

Children see animals for what they are: living, breathing extensions of themselves.

If we’d just listen, we can learn a lot:

Like elephant vegetarian & vegan on Facebook.

Ed: Brianna Bemel

Bonus:

About Sara Crolick

Sara Crolick is whiskey in a teacup. She loves elephants, vegetables, vintage typewriters, Audrey Hepburn and the written word, but not necessarily in that order. She raises two inspiring boys with her mister, who is a bona fide music-maker; this works out nicely, as she happens to also love music. You can connect with her via her site, Conversations with a Human Heart, her author page on Facebook and on Twitter, too.

Comments

14 Responses to “Are Children Natural Vegans? {Video}”

1. lanashlafer says:

What an amazing boy and mother! Thank you for sharing!

2. Guest says:

Beautiful.

3. MichelleQuinlan says:

just lovely. <3

4. Beautiful. My daughter (now 16) has been a vegetarian her entire life. As a baby, she'd eat all the pureed fruits and veggies but spit out anything meat. I didn't understand at the time (not yet into yoga and raised by omnivores) but honored it. When she could speak she told me she never wanted to eat anything that breathed. 2 years old and already smarter than her mom!!

5. Linda Lewis Linda V. Lewis says:

In the Karmapa's new book The Heart is Noble, he expresses how unnecessary and unhealthy for humans and the planet it is for us to raise and butcher and eat meat.
    Also I remember Waylon in a high chair at first kind of liking his daddy's bacon until, when he asked, I told him it was pig, and then that was the end of that until he started kindergarten and the public school food, Sloppy Joes, etc. and peer pressure got him eating meat again.

6. Jonathan Waller says:

Posting a clip of a child that doesn't understand or experienced the fact that life feeds on life doesn't really make a compelling argument for not eating meat. if it did, I could post some videos of why we should believe in the tooth fairy, father Christmas or the monster under the bed.
    It does however make a cute "justification" of our adult decisions to take a certain path.
    Does this child child understand where any food comes from, the eggs the milk the vegetables? Would the child be as "naturally vegan" when it is very hungry?
    |What about the other choices of what to eat or not to eat that children make? I think I am going to go on a sweets only diet as I have observed that a majority of children will eat sweets to the exclusion of anything else!

7. Jonathan Waller says:

My point was that what a child chooses to do or believe is based upon the fact that it is a child, a child unfamiliar with life feeding on life will see a cow as cute especially is it has been taught, "a cow says" is the idea of a cow talking and more erroneous that calling the belly of a pig bacon??
    Conditioning a child to eat meat is not different to conditioning a child to not want to eat meat. The child in the video has been taught that animals are cute, so when it is told it is eating a dead cute thing it doesn't like it. Again my point is that if the child was truly hungry it would not ask such questions, in much the same way that it would not restrain itself from eating sweets until it was sick or accepting the truth of santa claus or the tooth fairy. His response to where his dinner comes from is not natural, it is conditioned. If we had a video of a starving child in Africa, who then refused to eat an animal we would see the a "truth".
    I am talking from the point of view of child that grew up in the country, on a farm eating animals we had shot, while at the same time in my youthful way planning to start an army to hunt down people who clubbed seal cubs or mistreated animals.
    Personally I have no problem with you choosing to eat or not eat whatever you like, neither do I have a problem whether you approve of what I eat or do not eat.
    What I do question is the use of questionable situations to claim one point of view over another and to suggest that the choices of child are free from influence or hold real value to some inner truth!

8. Jonathan Waller says:

I agree that all animals should be treated ethically. However any animal that exists which humans have used for whatever reasons exists only because we have some use for it and for no other reason. We only have to look at the world and see that animals that humans don't see a use for suffer in the greater scheme of things. So all those animals that we stop eating, what happens to them? Animals that we don't eat, get milk or eggs from, what happens to them? DO we keep them as pets? or do they become extinct? If we keep them as pets? what then? I mean lets look at the horrors people create when they start breeding animals for how they look!
    Is life more important than no life?