The Dalai Lama on $$$.

Via on Jun 2, 2013
@waylonlewis on Instagram
@waylonlewis on Instagram.

Got Happiness? It’s not about Money, it’s about Security, and Love. The Dalai Lama on the Morality of Inequality:

“Nowadays, we are confronted by a huge gap between rich and poor.

This is not only morally wrong, but practically a mistake.

It leads to the rich living in anxiety and the poor living in frustration, which has the potential to lead to more violence.

We have to work to reduce this gap. It’s truly unfair that some people should have so much while others go hungry.”

~ the Dalai Lama

For the source and rest of his talk, here.

About elephant journal

8 Responses to “The Dalai Lama on $$$.”

1. Padma Kadag says:

Waylon Waylon Waylon…You really think that this is a quote from the HH Dalai Lama? Please find an authenticated source for this quote. It's sounds nothing like the HH Dalai lama but it does sound like the inaccurate quotes of both HH and the Buddha which run rampant on the EJ and the internet. Most, as this one, do not even sound Buddhist. "It’s truly unfair that some people should have so much while others go hungry.” ?

• elephantjournal says:

I linked to it…as you would have seen if you read it.

Also, run rampant on EJ? Find more than the one quote that we were infamously burned on, along with everyone else to be fair, and I'll allow such insulting generalizations. We aim to share truth, not bullshit, so if you'd like to continue to post anonymously, try and do so respectfully or at least fairly. Thank you.

• Padma Kadag says:

So Waylon…you will not post the response I wrote concerning the above comment of yours? You are so off base with, "and I'll allow such insulting generalizations", "We aim to share truth, not bullshit". Of course you want truth and like most you will see at as you will. My name is Padma Kadag and you have a problem with that? So much so that my commentary would be 86'd? It seems that it wasn't the commentary on HH which you find being "insulting" but rather the idea and fact, which you call generalizing, you allow your writers to post fake Buddha quotes almost weekly and I have pointed this out to you.

2. Nola1513 says:

Hi padma, I never really post on sites like this, but I’d like to say that you’re the one that is wrong. I was at HH conference in New Orleans a few weekends ago and heard him say this very sentence. Don’t be so quick to judge. Your negativity is not the point of this site or articles like this.

• elephantjournal says:

Thanks, Nola! Also, I did link to it, not sure how our friend missed that…we've been burned once by a fake (but wholesome-sounding) quote, and as a blog the internet is full of such wisdom landmines!

3. Padma Kadag says:

Negativity?…show me an authenticated…word by word transcript of what His Holiness said…without audience interpretation.

4. Mark Ledbetter says:

If Nola heard the Dalai Lama say this, then he probably did. But it strikes me that Padma is right in that it doesn't sound Buddhist. It sounds like the ethics of someone who is heavily involved in fixing this world. In other words, it sounds Western. Or maybe it sounds like a new thing: Western Buddhist.

5. Padma Kadag says:

The Dalai Lama did say what Waylon has posted here and I recognize my error. I do stand by my assertion that the large majority of Buddha quotes and HH Dalai lama quotes posted on EJ are erroneous. The Buddha quotes for the most part if examined are not even "Buddhist" in meaning. Use fakebuddhaquotes.com as your handy reference. The use of the word "unfair" in HH's quote brings up some questions: 1.) The Law of Cause and Effect? 2.) "Unfair" refers to one group having control over another promoting the idea that the rich are sole determinate in the existence of the poor. 3.) Adds more hope and fear in the world. I too want to see the demolition of poverty and so I understand HH's point. But as Buddhists we need to take a look at what HH says and see if it meets our notion of Buddhism.