The Very Nature of Detoxing is About Letting Go. ~ Holly E. Mullin

Via on Jun 13, 2013

9ce578aaba89c5679edacda7557dba63

It is said that all states of dis-ease begin and end in the colon.

The colon has been coined “the second brain”, however the function of the colon is usually perceived to be a feeling organ, as opposed to a thinking organ. It plays a much more important role in the experiences of our lives than some may think, so it could actually be recognized as the primary brain.

The health of your digestive system is a true measure of how you “feel” even if you “think” you are well. In the early stages of fetal development, the Enteric Nervous System (esophagus, stomach, small intestine and colon and the primary brain) start as the same length of embryonic tissue.

This tissue eventually divides and becomes the two aspects we are referring to here: the digestive tract and the brain. These separate by what has come to be known as the vagus nerve, the longest of all the cranial nerves. Over one half of all nerve cells are in the gut and this includes neurons and neurotransmitters exactly like those found in the brain.

Other similarities between the two brains are the release of hormones such as Serotonin which is vital to feelings of well-being.

These two “brains” communicate back and forth with each other via the vagus nerve. For example, feelings of worry or anxiety can be experienced as “butterflies” in the stomach. Difficulty in digesting foods at lunch time can have an effect on your afternoon performance at work resulting in tiredness and troubles with concentration.

The main connection between the two can be seen by looking at how we are affected both psychologically and physically by stress. States of dis-ease such as anxiety, depression, ulcers and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) are the symptoms usually caused by the same thing: stress.

So, these states of  dis-ease in your body can be treated in basically two ways: the first and most popular way is the path of conventional medicine. Treat the symptom and hope the pain goes away. Usually, you are treated with prescribed medication often resulting in a host of other symptoms, many of which cause more havoc with the digestive tract.

The second way is to look primarily at the cause: uncover the stresses in life. Though they may not always be possible to avoid, it is possible to change our experience of them and the impact they have on our health.

The first and best way to look at the stress and tension in your life is to remove them altogether: retreat. Take time and space away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind and allow yourself to rest and recuperate.

The next step is to aid the colon in the plight against the level of accumulated stress it is usually holding, first and foremost as physical waste products and toxins. These are held within the tiny pockets of the small intestine and along the intestinal walls.

Undigested debris is retained here and causes fermentation when the digestion process isn’t allowed to operate to its fullest potential due to both internal and external stress.

The nature of a colon cleanse is to rid the body of this excess accumulated debris, collected within the length of the colon, often over many decades. The average size of the human intestine is 26 feet in length. Accumulated debris is held particularly in the first 23 feet of long, windy and cramped crevices in the small intestine.

This accumulated debris is inefficiently digested food sources such as meat, cheese and wheat which have become stuck along the sides of the intestinal tract.  This creates havoc by preventing and blocking the proper absorption of essential nutrients causing a smaller gap for food to move through which can eventually result in chronic constipation, IBS, Ulcerative Colitis, Diverticulitis and even Cancer.

Some find colonics useful, however, a colon cleanse which uses a relaxed, non-invasive approach can be more effective. Powerful herbal formulas focus on purging the whole length of the colon from the inside out, an area completely untouched by ordinary, water based, colonics.

Harsh colonics and hydro cleansing use force to cleanse the colon which only activates the large intestine. This can cause tension, holding, discomfort, stress and even panic attacks.

What would you do if someone were spraying you with a force of water? You would likely contract or tense up and you may even feel violated.

Your bowels react in much the same way.

A colon cleanse is about much more than just losing a few pounds—the colon is the seat of health in the body and the first and last area to be affected when it comes to ill health.

A regular healthy bowel is expected to move three times a day, based on the average amount of food we consume in our culture: breakfast, lunch and dinner. For many, however, this isn’t the case and the bowel moving once a day can be considered “regular.”

If we take into account that a meal takes on average 24 to 36 hours to move through the body from start to finish, the average person is literally sitting on three to five compacted meals, held within the length of their colon, at any one time.

As well as ridding the body of waste and excess weight and also cleaning the bowels to prevent dis-ease, a colon cleanse is very much about detoxing the bodies many systems:

> The digestive system: absorbing toxins through the thin lining of the colon wall.

> The respiratory system: clearing the lungs to facilitate a fuller breathing capacity.

> The lymphatic system: encouraging movement to send lymph to the appropriate nodes.

> The cardio-vascular system: cleansing the blood of free radicals to improve circulation.

> The urinary system: filtration, purification and elimination.

> The nervous system: cleaning up the many branches of the Central Nervous System to improve nerve function.

> The endocrine system: allowing an over-worked system to rest and return to normal function.

> The immune system: improving function to fight infection.

A good detox can do all of the above as well as improve the less obvious functions such as relaxing the muscular system, potentially softening hardened growths throughout the skeletal system and improving fertility throughout the reproductive system.

The very nature of detoxing is about letting go—as you let go, you relax. The more you relax and the deeper you drop into a state of well being, the more your body can let go of what it’s been holding on to: toxins held at a cellular level, excess weight, accumulated debris, physical tensions and held emotions.

Periodic cleansing of the colon is vital for optimum health.

Enjoying a colon cleanse and/or a detox experience gives you and your body the opportunity to rest and let go—it is during the process of letting go that the magic happens.

Your body craves health, it has just forgotten how to find it. Remind yourself where to look by becoming quiet enough to hear what your body is saying and love yourself to life!

bio-picMullinHolly E. Mullin founded Breathe Detox in 2008; she has been actively involved in holistic therapies & alternative lifestyle since 1995. With a background in body therapies, she has a deep knowledge of the connection between body, heart, mind and spirit. Holly is available for phone or sykpe sessions, where she uses the power of Kinesiology/muscle testing for direct communication with the unconscious mind for optimum results. She facilitates a space of simple yet profound understanding and discovery to enhance your personal journey. Visit her visit her detox retreat for more info.

Like elephant Health and Wellness on Facebook.

Asst. Ed: Steph Richard/Ed: Bryonie Wise

{Photo: via Kristen on Pinterest}

About elephant journal

13 Responses to “The Very Nature of Detoxing is About Letting Go. ~ Holly E. Mullin”

1. I have since discovered the digestive tract produces MORE Serotonin than the brain! You literally ARE what you EAT!! What do you think? :)

2. Chef Chirsty says:

So glad to see such a well-written article on colon cleansing as well as the other systems that benefit from regular attention. I just participated in a radio roundtable on Empower Readings where we talked about cleansing, and the rate at which you should take it. Cleansing too much too fast can make you very sick as your colon can't pass it out fast enough, and you end up reabsorbing those toxins you are trying to flush. Take it slowly and work on detoxifying in baby steps for the best results.

3. Boo Darby says:

A few 'scientific discoveries' in last 6 months, according to BBC news, about 'brain' activity taking place in the gut. Interesting….

• Hi Boo! Nice to see you here! It's good to see the BBC and science are learning what alternative therapies have known for a very long time. Unfortunately I've lost a lot of respect for the BBC since the unveiling of some of their personal pastimes. Very disturbing and disappointing indeed.

4. Chef Chirsty says:

Hey Holly, thanks for asking, I should have remembered to include the link in my original comment, but here is the link to the podcast of the Detox Roundtable I participated in last week on Empower Readings: http://bit.ly/196htwQ

• This is GREAT, Christy. Very interesting. I'm glad you talk about detox herbs and releasing emotions NOT just physical toxins. I agree 100%. In my experience even open minds and free thinkers want to just "take a pill" and everything will be better. Unfortunately, as we know, it doesn't work that way. It does take a little effort and discipline. And that IS the best way. Thank you for sharing!! :)

5. Sarah says:

As Certified Colon Hydrotherapist, I thought this was a great article until I got to the subjective parts about how colonics are "harsh" and "use force" and "can cause tension, holding, discomfort, stress and even panic attacks." Not to mention how you insinuate that "a colon cleanse, which uses a relaxed, non-invasive approach can be more effective (than colonics)" and that "if someone was spraying you with a force of water, you would likely contract or tense up and you may even feel violated ."

I think it's really unfortunate that you are trying to pass off your seemingly uneducated opinions and possibly negative past experiences as facts here. The truth is that there are gentle gravity-flow colon hydrotherapy units being used all over the world today, including in hospitals, because colonic services are being sought out by countless people, even doctors, who desire the positive benefits received from them. I think you're potentially doing some people a disservice here by only sharing your very narrow and one-sided view on colonics.

• I'm sorry you feel you have to actually put down my opinion here. This is not only my opinion, by my experience having worked within detox centres for many years, with people who use self administered colonics. I have met people who have had VERY negative effects from them. I have also met people who have had neutral effects and thought it was the only way, as well as those who have had a spiritual experience. I am not trying to say this is the absolute truth for everyone. If you read my quote I suggest this "can" happen. The reason being because I am trying to promote the method I use. Not because I am trying to dis-swayed anyone for having freedom of choice. If you would like to promote colonics you are free to write your own article. I would read it with interest and I would never get as offensive as you have been towards me here. What a shame you felt you had to do that. I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way. It wasn't personal. Unfortunately your was, I thought this magazine was promoting mindfulness.

• Sarah says:

Actually all I did was share my opinions on your opinions. I only wrote that, to me, it *seemed* like your opinions were uneducated and that you may have possibly had some negative past experiences. If my assumptions were wrong, I stand corrected. I am sorry you felt personally offended, you surely don't have to own anything I wrote. My intention was just to bring awareness to the fact that you only presented a one-sided view on colonics and I felt that a more objective stance would've been a better approach. But it all makes more sense to me now that I'm aware you're attempting to promote an alternative method. And you are right, I am always free to write my own articles if I don't like the ones I read. With that being said, I rather enjoyed the rest of your article.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me." -Dudley Field Malone

• I do think it is unfair to say say I "seem uneducated", trust me, I don't "own" anything you wrote, I was just shocked to see it written! I understand your intention, and I would just like to clarify my own intention here. EVERYBODY knows about colonics. There is really no need to talk about them. Most people think it is the ONLY way and my objective here is to dispel the myth that there is no other way to cleanse the colon. Yes, I have an aversion myself to colonics. It is my belief and natural instinct, that the movement should only go in one direction here (I had the same instinct when I was giving birth and the medical profession were poking and prodding). I have been working in the detox industry for nearly 10yrs, so I feel I have aquired a certain amount of "educated experience" (my primary knowledge first and foremost comes from experience). In those 9yrs I have met many many people whose bowels do not move efficiently or naturally. Peoples bowels have become lazy. They rely on something to stimulate their bowel to move: coffee, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, laxatives, epsom salts, enemas and yes, even colonics. People are addicted to using an outside influence to preform even the most natural and important movement in the body, expelling waste. I have found a herbal supplement which re-educates the bowel to create the peristaltic motion, herbs are incredible in the way they can work. These herbs actually encourage the bowel to remember how to move 3 times a day.

As far as I'm concerned this gives people freedom. Freedom from stimulants. Freedom from addictive behaviours. The opportunity to allow their bodies to work efficiently without the use of outside force. These herbs are non-addictive because they teach your body how to do it's own thing and people can stop using them when they leave. And as long as they give their bodies the simple fuel and hydration it needs, to move through the body effectively, their bowels can and do continue to move 3 times a day.

I'm glad we are able to agree to disagree and let me know when you've written that article. :)

• Sarah says:

Again, I never said that *you* seem uneducated. I only ever said that *your opinions* seemed uneducated. Just like your quip about "EVERYBODY knows about colonics." NO, EVERYBODY does NOT know about colonics. You can't make a generalization like that because you are not all-knowing. And believe me, the majority of people whom I cross paths with outside of this field, have NEVER heard about colonics. So, YES, there really is a need to talk about them.

Just because you have a strong dislike for colonics does not mean that they can't or won't be helpful to someone else. And just the same, while I may be partial to colonics, it doesn't mean that I couldn't or wouldn't also benefit from your colon cleansing herbs. That's great if your herbs are natural, non-addictive, and help make the colon work more effectively. Water is also natural, non-addictive, and helps make the colon work more effectively as well.

So in the end, we both have the same amount of time in the detox industry, we see the same types of clients, we have the same goals for our clients, it's a shame you've settled on disagreeing. I think whichever method of colon cleansing works best for somebody individually is the best way to go, whether it be by colonics, herbs, or other methods. But I also don't think it's necessary for someone in our field to be negative about colonics in a public article just because they have a personal aversion to it.

And thank you, I think you've inspired me. I will definitely let you know when I write that article. :)

6. I'm not sure if my reply to you, Sarah, will be posted as I then went on to reply to someone else, and now both seem to be missing. Anyway, it was a long reply, but in a nutshell I wanted to clarify my intention. In my experience EVERYONE knows about colonics. Many people think it is the ONLY way. I am trying to dispel the myth here. There is an alternative non-invasive colon cleanse available using the power of the mighty herb.

In my 10yrs working in the detox industry my experience has been that many MANY people are addicted to substances and stimulants to get their bowels moving. Things like: coffee, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, laxatives, epsom salts, enemas, and even colonics are things which people can become physically addicted to in order to produce a daily movement.

Herbs are gentle, yet effective and can re-educate the bowels to move efficiently everyday by encouraging a lazy bowel through re-creating the peristaltic motion. After a course of digestive stimulants the body has effectively "remembered" how to move, so these herbs are not addictive, just helpful.

Anyway, I hope we can agree to disagree and I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the article. :)