If “We Are All One,” Then Give Me Your Car Keys, Please. ~ Doron Hanoch

Via Doron Hanochon Jul 30, 2013
Image: aldenjenwell
Image: aldenjenwell

“We are all one.”

This is one of the most used yoga or even “new age” slogans these days. I hear this many times in yoga studios, by yoga teachers, or even just in random chats on the street.

Isn’t it true? Yes, it is true—but only on a certain level. (I suspect many of those that use this phrase have not actually experienced the oneness of it all.) It is not an easy practice, and for most humans, it requires a great deal of meditation and awareness practices before the mind can actually drop away to allow the oneness of it all to be known.

When I say we are all one, who is it speaking? If it is I speaking, then there is already a separation.

When people randomly say this phrase I like to ask them for their car keys.

What difference does it make? It is not as if you gave your car to me. Since there is no you and no I, there is no separation between us—we are all one!

On a certain conscious level, this is very true. Energetically, for example, this is very true. It is important to know this, and even better to understand this beyond the brain or mind. This helps us take our actions with a healthy perspective. Knowing that ultimately everything under or over the sun is connected and part of the same whole, helps me be more conscious and loving about every word I say and every action I take.

Still, I lock my home door and I lock my car. I even have a bank account that is different than yours. I am not suggesting that communism helps the phrase come true. What I am saying is that on a physical level (also known as prakrti in the yoga world) there is an illusion of separation, and we live in it, obeying its rules. It is similar to Neo, living in The Matrix (the movie.)

Once we know our true self—our Purusha, or soul—then we know oneness.

It is helpful to talk about this and first touch upon it on an intellectual level. Eventually, we need to do the work, or the practice—abhyassa—to know this oneness as real.

One practice that may help simulate this experience, at least partially, is the peripheral vision gaze.

Stare blankly at something. I like to stare at trees. While you maintain a steady gaze at one point, allow your eyes to soften, and see if you can expand your view. It is like you are seeing through the sides of the eye. The longer you can hold this, the more you may find yourself dropping away and experience “just seeing.” Since it hard to maintain an active mind at this state, it allows a similar sense of oneness. The moment you focus on a specific thing and start to name it, or use adjectives for it, you have probably lost your peripheral vision. Thoughts have taken over.

Keep practicing this as well as seated meditation so you can actually get to know oneness as truth—your truth.

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

Assist Ed: Jade Belzberg/Ed: Brianna Bemel

About Doron Hanoch

Doron Hanoch, (ERYT 500), has been studying and practicing yoga, meditation and paths to bliss, since 1992. Some of his experiences include practicing at the Osho Ashram, Yoga in Rishikesh, Tibetan Buddhism with Dalai Lama, Vipassana in Thailand and living and practicing with a Buddhist priest in Japan. Doron’s Yoga is a total tool for cultivating awareness, compassion, strength and sensitivity, leading the student to a transformation into inner freedom. His teachings are deep, fun and practical. Doron is a trained chef, a certified nutrition consultant (registered with the AADP), an artist and a long time Zen student. He uses all his skills to share a holistic experience.  Doron is a teacher of the full spectrum of yoga, creating a healthy sustainable bliss onto all layers of life.

32 Responses to “If “We Are All One,” Then Give Me Your Car Keys, Please. ~ Doron Hanoch”

1. Annetta says:

Great article and topic! Thanks for the morsel to chew on :)

2. Caroline says:

Excellent piece by an amazing teacher! I plan to try the peripheral vision gaze technique.

• @dhanoch says:

Thanks Caroline. I used to do it on my balcony staring at me favorite tree. I just looked at it for a while, patiently, with soft focus till it started appearing more alive than ever. It was like I saw 3D for the first time.

3. Gil says:

Great bridging between theoretical principles & real life. Whenever we set realistic goals to a theoretical idea, the chance of success goes up and we may actually implement the idea. You helped doing that. Thank you!

• @dhanoch says:

Yes, You are absolutely right Gil. I love when philosophy, or spirituality become practical. There is so much talk about it these, days, and I love seeing when people walk the talk, or find ways to make it more real!

4. Rebecca says:

Very entertaining article about a platitude I've pondered before. Thanks!

5. Kent Putnam says:

Good perspective on our collective journey to enlightment, thanks keep up the good work.

6. Hadas says:

Loved it. Doron has so many gifts to share with the world.

7. Mary says:

great article

8. Peta says:

thanks for a great article Doron! looking forward to trying the the peripheral vision gaze…

9. Christine says:

I really enjoyed reading this article….thank you, Doron.

10. Jenn says:

Thank you for that thought, Doron!

11. Murray says:

Doron, you need to clone yourself and send one version to the East Coast. We need you here!

12. yossi says:

love it , keep writing your the best!!!

13. Diana says:

Great insight and perspective. I love having the thoughts to ponder and the peripheral gaze to practice as a concrete application!

14. Daniel says:

Thanks Doron! I really enjoyed reading this.

May you keep enriching our worlds

15. wellwoman says:

I like the peripheral gaze vision practice. I tried it with a beautiful interior brick wall in my office. It is amazing how much of our range of vision we *don't* use on a regular basis.

16. Mark says:

Your description of the "levels" of reality is excellent Doron. Good humor too, in reminding us to not apply the rules of the ddeepest level (we are one) with the rules of the surface level. Excellent!

17. Lauren says:

Peripheral vision is fantastic when running or on a hike. It is an amazing feeling to capture trees, ocean, animals and people all together within my visual framework. Thanks so much for articulating with grace and wit a perspective on life in which to recognize the connection of all of us as well as our individuality in the physical world.

18. Suzy says:

Inspiring words by an inspired being! Thanks for the reminder of the peripheral vision – I like to also include all the senses in this kind of direct observation. The world is so abundant with wonder – sometimes it just takes a little slowing down and a nudge of awareness to be in the awe of it all! Thank you Doron and ELephant for the reminders/ nudge!

19. Ashley P. says:

Doron continues to speak from tradition and always finds the most creative and intelligent ways to integrate the philosophy of great teachings into the 21st century way of life. I am always blessed to have his wisdom light up my life in ways that continue to amaze me on my journey!

20. Matt Fox says:

Practice peripheral vision and keep doing sitting meditation? That won't work to remove belief in separation. These are superficial practices that, on their own, do not awaken consciousness. You can sit meditating for decades and not awaken. Blurring your vision until the mind is arrested? No awakened teacher advises such gimmicks. I do not mean to condemn an otherwise good intention, but please, read Ramana Maharshi or consult a genuine modern sage like Adyashanti, Gangaji, Francis Lucille or Eckhart Tolle.

21. Ashok Chippa says:

Reminds me of a story from "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramhansa Yogananda. Yogananda used to own a motorcycle which he used to ride around Calcutta with his Guru, Sri Yukteshwarji. One day Yogananda saw (from inside his house) a stranger admiring his motorcycle which was parked outside. Yogananda being a fully-liberated Master could read the stranger's thoughts. The stranger was wishing the motorcycle were his own. Yogananda came out and offered the stranger his motorcycle. The stranger was quite and pleasantly surprised. Yogananda went inside and got the pink slip and gave it to the stranger who drove off with the motorcycle…

Such acts should be natural to those who have truly gone beyond all attachments and attained the state of nirbikalpa Samadhi. Agree that most of us have not… But we all know that don't we? ;)