1001 Things that Are More Important than Miley Cyrus.

Via on Aug 27, 2013

Courtesy of Miley Twerking on Reality Tumblr

So, apparently, the most important news we’ve had in the past few days is that Miley Cyrus put on quite the show at the VMAs.

Imagine, a young, over-priviliged starlet trying to make the child-to-adult star transition behaving badly. I don’t think this has happened before! (Ahem, Lindsey Lohan, Amanda Bynes, etc. etc. ad nauseum).

In fact, I think the whole idea of “twerking” is pretty novel too. You know, because it’s nothing at all like the lordosis behavior  that virtually all female mammals engage in in order to display their sexual availability. Twerking is new. Let’s make sure it gets ample coverage. Great work, CNN!

But here’s the thing, and I love the way Miley Twerking on Reality Tumblr (the folks who created the photo above) highlight this:

We are seeing a giant collide between public apathy and journalistic integrity and it’s getting ugly out there.

We see it on major news sources; we see it on elephant journal. The crux of the problem is that people have stopped thinking for themselves, stopped educating themselves and instead look to the media to spoon-feed them what’s important. And the media, in turn, has decided that the way to succeed is to pander to the lowest common denominator in order to get views. Because everyone knows, views are more important than things like truth, integrity, accuracy or even…I don’t know…having a point!

What it comes down to (though it’s a fictional newsroom) is this:

Until as readers we stop clicking on superficial garbage, media outlets are going to keep cranking it out. Until we as writers and editors stand up and say, “Let’s elevate things. Let’s show people what’s really important,” people will keep believing that where Miley shakes her ass is news.

So let me tell you what’s more important that Miley Cyrus:

Syria. Egypt. The Wildfires in Yosemite. The way we are addressing gun violence and mental illness. Our education system. Finding a cure for AIDS. Or cancer. Or even the common cold. All the changes in voting laws this year. The fact that there are NSA agents now admitting to using their clearance to spy on people they know. The Fukushima leak. Our healthcare system. The fact that we have a two-party political system that’s broken, and yet too many people are scared to vote third party to actually change it. Our spiritual lives. Our families. Talking to each other. Honesty. Love.

That’s not 1001 things, but it doesn’t really matter because I could sit here and list a million things that are more important than bad celebrity behavior.

Let’s stop pretending it’s important. Show the media what matters by what you choose to click on.

And pray for a peaceful resolution in Syria.

Like elephant culture on Facebook.

Ed: Sara Crolick

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is the strongest girl in the world. She is the love child of a pirate and a roller derby queen. She hails from the second star to the right. Her love of words is boundless, but she knows that many of life’s best moments are completely untranslatable. When she is not writing, you may find her practicing yoga, devouring a book, playing with her children, planting dandelions, or dancing barefoot with her heart on her sleeve. She is madly in love with life and does not know how this story ends; she’s making it up as she goes. Kate is the owner and editor-in-chief of Be You Media Group. She also writes for The Huffington Post, elephant journal, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, Yoganonymous, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. She facilitates writing workshops and retreats throughout North America. Heart Medicine, Kate's book on writing, is now available on Amazon.com You can follow Kate on Facebook and Twitter

30 Responses to “1001 Things that Are More Important than Miley Cyrus.”

1. LorieAnn says:

Can I get an, "Amen."

2. Heather says:

Along the same line, this article is awesome: http://www.theonion.com/articles/let-me-explain-w

3. Shanna says:

There are a lot of writers out there talking about important things. People just dont' read them. People have to change. Our world is a manifestation of the people's desires. People are interested in this stuff. Plain and simple. As a writer and a business owner, I pay attention to twitter and Facebook. I notice that articles about important issues don't get shared as much. They don't get liked as much. The articles that get shared the most are superficial, lame and smutty because that is what people want to see. They don't want to face the issues. Our world as a whole has to change. This is why I make it a point to share and retweet things that are of substance. It is not enough to like stuff. We have got to help promote the articles of our fellow bloggers.

4. JR1220 says:

agree x 1000. and 1.

5. Julie says:

Wow. "Bad celebrity behavior." Thought I'd see a little less judgement here, and maybe even a "You go, girl!" Didn't Miley just do what many writers here talk about–she owned her sexuality. She claimed her right to act as bad as the boys. So maybe it was not my choice of entertainment (my tv still has an off button) but being a pop diva is HER thing. If yoga had been her thing, and she'd done a nude yoga video that has been watched by eleventy-million people, wouldn't we all be sitting here talking about how great it was? How she should put that out there if that's what she wants to do? How women's bodies and self expression and sexuality are worth talking about?

• shuvanidev says:

Is this really Miley owning her sexuality – or is it Miley acting out the sexual shadow for entertainment purposes and/or her own personal aggradizement? I don't know….I feel that we have lost our ability to discern – not everything a person does to express their sex/sexuality is empowering or liberating. But more to point is the fact that we, as a whole, are more attentive to stage antics rather than issues that carry more weight and consequence. I agree with others who have said that we don't want to think about those things as they are overwhelming, we may feel that we don't have the ability to deal with them. Miley's big show, as trivial as it is, seems to be somehow more emotionally manageable.

• No slut shaming on my part. The press is portraying it as "celebrity bad behavior," and I don't feel her performance warrants the media attention it's gotten no matter what the perspective is. When a celebrity performance at an award show takes billing on CNN above the increasingly dire events in Syria, we have a problem with our priorities as a society.

6. Holly says:

Yes!! Yes yes thank you I was so hoping someone would publish this. There is a TED talk that talks exactly about this problem. I urge you to find it and continue talking on this subject.

Thanks again

7. Ursula Rafer says:

You are a hero for pointing out the obvious!!!

8. Sandee says:

100% agree. Tune out of the crap. Don't support the machine that feeds us junk food news and leaves out the real issues of the day. Thanks for writing this.

9. Aurora says:

We have a right to live in a world with healthy sexuality. This is an important issue because unhealthy sexuality leads to violence and abuse. Pop culture reflects our society's dysfunction. From pedophilia to racism, so much wrong with Miley Cyrus' performance. I disagree that this is not an important issue.

• I agree that talking about those subtexts is important. What frightens me is seeing this get top billing on major new outlets above what's going on in war torn countries.

10. Karen says:

It is lovely that she is taking ownership of her sexuality. Perhaps she could do it at home & not with a married guy in a zoot suit during prime time wearing her gram’s undies.

11. Sharon says:

Excellent article, Kate!

12. Dianna says:

Go Kate. Well said. She may be a girl claiming attempting to claim her sexuality but she is an artist who clearly misread her audience. There are a million ways she could have gone about grabbing the horns of her sexual identity. No pun intended. There are so many other things we should be focused on – as you so eloquently state.

13. So glad you did write this and it's true; one of the articles that stood out to me most yesterday was on the Onion and it's true that advertisers (and anyone wanting to make money) will present what's clickable. As writers, we know that our titles have to be intriguing enough for people to want to read our thoughts, so what if you don't even care about the thoughts that are being presented and just want that click? This exact situation—that's what happens.

14. Nina says:

If Miley Cyrus is any example of individuals with any authority, our future is in a tremendous amount of trouble.

15. I agree with you, Kate, and I applaud you for seeing through the buzz, but I think the solution is even bigger than careful clicking. Our media is not accountable to the public interest because it isn't funded by the public. The reason that PBS and the BBC* can produce thoughtful, quality journalism is that they are accountable to the people who watch their programming, not to their bottom line or to the multinational corporations that fund them. I strongly believe we need a movement towards publicly-funded media. The U.S. has never had a state-funded media, but somehow we ended up with a media and government system that is flooded with corporate dollars and interests…. Changing your click behavior is swimming against the current and we have to do that for sure, but the whole river needs to be redirected. Anyone on Elephant Journal know how to start a movement? I've reached the end of my idea. :)

*BBC used to have more state funding, now they have less…and they have more sensationalized pieces now..but still they are 10000x better than cnn.

• I still go the BBC and NPR for my news often, and find them to be a wider, less sensationalized perspective than most corporate backed media.

I think there are dual responsibilities here, and you are right—it needs to be a movement! The responsibility lies with the readers and the writers. Putting our time and energy into independent media is (I believe) an important first step.

16. Muks says:

I have to admit that I did not know about her dancing before I went on EJ last night.

17. James Fraser says:

Mahalo for reason…

18. Heather Grimes Heather Grimes says:

well written and well said. thank you.