Could Toxins be Affecting your Weight Loss? ~ Melissa Schollaert

Via Melissa Schollaerton Aug 27, 2013

Weight Loss

Over half of the people that come to me want to lose weight.

They are often almost desperate to lose weight. Every once in a while, we’ve come across a case in which it is extremely challenging to get the needle to move for the client. That’s when we research, research and then do some more research. Here’s what we found.

Let’s be very clear first, we always steer clear of quick fixes, even if that’s what our client is looking for. In the long run, this leads to more deficiencies, imbalances and damage. We find when we “clean up” the body and implement a positive lifestyle, the body follows suit. Hormones can often balance themselves and the weight just falls off. This cleaning up is often through first detoxifying the system.

Why must we often detox with clients?

Well, now it’s time to talk toxins, friends. Toxin is a broad term, covering both toxins created from normal bodily functions and from outside sources.

Think pesticides, industrial chemicals, mercury, personal care products, and the list goes on. The body is designed to eliminate toxins through our skin, kidneys and liver, but modern times have exposed us to many more toxins than we were built to deal with—leading to overburdened organs, illness and weight gain.

So how do these toxins affect weight loss efforts? When toxins enter the body, they’re stored in our fat cells. Remember, fat cells are used to help protect vital organs. Yikes, scary these toxins are living in the same neighborhood as our precious organs! This could also be part of the belly fat danger.

In a study titled “Energy Balance and Pollution by Organochlorines and Polychlorinated Biphenyls,” published in Obesity Review in 2003, researchers concluded that pesticides and P.C.B.’s (these come from industrial pollution) poison our metabolism when they are released from stored fat tissue. What this means is when we start losing weight and dissolving body fat, toxins are released into the system negatively affecting metabolism.

Dr. Mark Hyman found that over 63 studies have explored the link between chemical toxins and obesity. Researchers found toxins, P.C.B.’s and pesticides all affected metabolism, including stressing the liver, disrupting the thyroid, disrupting hormones, and damaging mitochondria (the power house of our cells, so damage would lead to decreased energy).

We know when the thyroid is affected, all things related to mood, mind, sleep and metabolism become difficult. We also now know that the pesky toxins may affect leptin, the hormone that tells us we’re full. That said, no wonder losing weight and keeping it off can be such a challenge.

Now that you’ve had the science, is it safer to keep the fat? Of course not!

I’ve compiled a quick list to send those toxins packing!

1) Switch to one new natural product a week or month. Eat organic (especially meat, milk and eggs—those animals are pumped full of nasty junk!), filter water, open windows, keep at least one plant in each room and start taking stock in household cleaners and your personal care products.

2) Sweat most days of the week. This will help clear the body of toxins and metals. Use a sauna if you have to.

3) Proper elimination is essential—no, it’s not normal or okay to go once every couple of days! The body has to eliminate wastes each and every day without fail.

4) Eat a healthy, whole food diet and drink plenty of filtered water.

5) Take a whole food vitamin. Not to cover poor nutrition, but to keep the body running on all cylinders since we live in such a toxic world.

Check out more information on why to detox, and how to prep for your detox.

Have you been trying to lose weight? I’d love to hear your experience! Please comment below.

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

Asst. Ed.: Moira Madden / Ed: Cat Beekmans

About Melissa Schollaert

Melissa Schollaert is a Holistic Health & Nutrition Counselor and founder of Real Nutritious Living. She’s been an on-camera expert for ABC, NBC, and GoodDayLive, with her writing published on a number of healthy living and nutrition websites. Melissa also teaches cooking classes and workshops at Whole Foods and various other retail outlets. She’s an avid yogi, always improving surfer, and a firm believer in faith, love, and the healing power of green juice. She’s got a heart for helping others achieve their health goals to attain their healthiest, happiest life.

32 Responses to “Could Toxins be Affecting your Weight Loss? ~ Melissa Schollaert”

1. Rebekah says:

I do all the things you advise and I still have gained 25 lbs this year alone :-(. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• realnutritiousliving says:

Rebekah, I am terribly sorry to hear this. Have you had your thyroid checked?? Feel free to email me melissa@realnutritiousliving.com

• fabulous_woman says:

From my point of view detox should be an addition to the weight loss process. It is possible to go organic, but continue to overeat. Nothing can help here with weight loss. Healthy balanced meals and active lifestyle are essential for successful weight loss. Adding detoxing should help and speed up the process. Though detox might help you to lose few pounds, I don't think detox alone would help with weight loss in a long run.

2. Essy says:

What is a whole food vitamin? I have never heard that term before. Does this mean the ordinary multivitamin?

3. Like!
    Thanks for helping me get back on track after a week of feeling out of control.

4. Good post!! Thanks for the interesting and useful info!! Drinking lots of water would send out all toxins in our body. Nice point.

5. This site says:

Nonetheless, if you're not on diet of any type of kind yet then created foul-smelling breath, I'll suggest you consult your physician or your family practitioner, as you might have other symptoms besides just diet issues. Since we've removed that up, allows move on.

6. Yes, food additives can definitely make you fatter and stay fatter. Not to mention that many are associated with serious disease.

7. My website says:

I have been telling people for ages that a whole food diet is the best way for weight loss. In other words you are less likely to get additives and saturated fat from whole and fresh produce.

8. Deborah says:

Wow Melissa, this is a GREAT write-up and I agree 100%. I try to drink a few gallons of water per DAY personally, it helps to filter out the junk and keep me hydrated. It was a bit difficult at first, but I just got used to drinking more (water) :-)

Deborah

9. semo2 says:

Great weight loss article! thanks a lot, I appreciate it :)

Fast Weight Loss Diet

10. stevelohbeck says:

very nice article it really open my eyes to all the knowledge there is about weight loss thanks . please check out my video http://youtu.be/UJL-ooR117E

11. I know a lot of people detox but never tried it myself. Thanks for the post. I think I'll try some of these tips.

12. Billy. J says:

Can eating lots of fruits and veges help in detox?

13. Anita Reney says:

Thank you for the quick list at the end, very helpful.

14. paulaking says:

I agree with your suggestions, however for many people the answer is to get away from the processed carbs.

Paleo Fast Food

15. luis says:

Good article truth is that drinking plenty of water throughout the day is right and let the junk food and good exercise is ideal

16. For anyone wanting to lose weight fast they are better off staying away from foods containing gluten as they will add to weight gain and increase fat retention. There are many other foods rich in the nutrients calcium, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and folate that are gluten free.

17. semo2 says:

Great article for weight loss ! thanks a lot I appreciate it :)

Quick Weight Loss Diets

18. Tom says:

This is a really interesting topic, which I think will get even more attention in the future. I am afraid that the food/cosmetics industries will slow down the process though. Just think of the fact that smoking wasn't proved to be a harmful for such a long time.

Great article!

19. Dermaslim says:

The points mentioned here are special and well provided.

20. Dan Craig says:

Losing weight can be so tough..Just need to be determined, focused and set simple achievable goals.. That is what helped me shed some pounds.

21. I personally believe that toxins affect the body's functions, especially the toxins that come from fast food. it will make me become fat quickly.

22. Gregor says:

Exactly! That's why you should try and eat organic foods …

23. Gluten free foods can help you to maintain your body effectively

24. Processed foods and most of our foods have so many chemicals in them and I believe they are actually changing us from one generation to the next. Compare today’s foods to foods from 70 years ago, and there is a huge difference. These toxins and chemicals are ruining our guts and digestive system, plus they confuse our hormones that tell us when we are hungry and full.

25. Ema says:

Stress is linked to weight gain, so no matter how hard you’re trying, being stressed out can totally undermine your weight loss efforts and targets.

26. tera says:

good work

27. I both agree and disagree with your article. To lose weight, you need to eat the right stuff and control your calories, end of debate. The fact that toxins are somehow involved in the process is more of an indirect effect of being overweight and generally unhealthy, not a direct causal link. That's my opinion anyway.

28. Yes toxins are very dangerous for our health and it is important that we should consume food or liquids that will help in removing toxins from our body. One of the way is to drink lot of water and the other is to consume alkaline diet that will help in reducing free radicles and thereby toxins.

29. My experience as a fitness professional has been that most people don't realize the benefits to detoxing the body in order to lose weight…especially from heavy metals. Thanks for the article.