Setting Your Intention: 69 Words to Start & Re-Start Your Day.

Via on Aug 22, 2013
Prayer written by Ben Riggs
Prayer written by Ben Riggs

This practice is helpful, not only in the morning, but throughout the day.

We do not always have half an hour to devote to meditation before we leave the house—maybe we seldom do or maybe something unexpected came up that morning.

Whatever the case, we need to center ourselves before we leave the house. We need to come back to who we actually are, which is not an idea, but a presence that is unfolding. We need to give our self a second to touch and be touched by this presence, allowing our thought processes to reflect this living reality.

When said mindfully and silently, this prayer has the ability to save us from the violence and hysteria of the ego-centric mind. It brings us back to our Self and reconnects our intention with what our body deems important. This is helpful, not only in the morning, but throughout the day when we feel ourselves being carried off by the raging waters of busy-ness, self-consciousness, insecurity, and aggression.

When we feel ourselves getting lost in multiplicity, a slow and mindful practice, such as this one, enables us to come back to our center, where we are not divided or broken, but whole and complete. Then we come out of our fullness and contribute something healthy and vital to the world.

Like elephant spirituality on Facebook.

Ed: Sara Crolick

About Benjamin Riggs

Ben Riggs is the director of the Refuge Meditation Group in Shreveport, LA. Ben writes extensively about Buddhist & Christian spirituality and politics for The Good Men Project, Elephant Journal, The Web of Enlightenment, and is the editor & chief for Henry Harbor--an online magazine concerned with art, culture, spirituality, & politics in the deep South. To keep up with all of his work follow him on Facebook or Twitter. Looking for a real bio? Click here to read my story....

6 Responses to “Setting Your Intention: 69 Words to Start & Re-Start Your Day.”

1. Kevan Lunney says:

Ben, would you please write about this prayer and explain it line by line?
    the burden of the worlds sin part especially.
    why would I ask for that to ripen on me? That sounds like inviting a a heavy responsibility to me that is too large to bear.
    thanks,

• Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

Yeah, it is. "You" cannot bear it. But the thing is it belongs to us. It is our world, our responsibility. We have to work with it. I do not necessarily mean manufactured sin, such as what we tend to see on the news. I mean what we actually encounter in our day. What causes us to feel pressure welling up from within…what causes us to gasp. That sin belongs to us that is why we feel it. It is in us. I see it in them, because it is in me. And when I see and accept that, it will kill me. It will kill the "me" that stands back apart from pretending to be well put together, all high and mighty. When I can see the aggression that leads someone to kill another person, as the same aggression that causes me to swat a fly or lash out at my wife, then I am comfortable in my skin. Perhaps it is in embryonic form, but it is the same…aggression is aggression. But you are right, the disembodied self that pretends to float around outside of my skin, above me…that self will die!

2. Emma says:

I agree with Kevan above. An explanation of the "ripening" concept would be beneficial for me as well.

3. stevebrady2013 says:

This spoke to me of the profound concept that I learned from Richard Rohr's writings – to set my intention as one who learns not to pass on pain, but rather face it, listen to it, bring love and acceptance to it, and thereby transform it. Not saying it's easy …..I can lash out like anyone one but this intention and the power of faith is transforming me into a lifelong healer who has long seen too much pain passed from person to person, generation to generation.

4. Sharon says:

I personally feel that the first line is all one needs – if we all would "wake up" to the beauty of this world and be grateful we would be a light in the world.

5. jillbware says:

This is beautiful. Thank you. I have been looking for fresh words (at least to my ears) for my morning meditation and stumbled upon these.