The Happiest Cities, States & Countries: all in one Map. {Infographic}

Via on Aug 3, 2013

So, I guess I live in the happiest town on the happiest cluster of happiest cities in a happiest state…but in an only moderately happy country. Social countries ftw! Compassion for all ftw!

For source, context and more info: Huffington Post.

Bonus:

How to Deal with Defeat.

About elephant journal

Comments

27 Responses to “The Happiest Cities, States & Countries: all in one Map. {Infographic}”

1. MEB says:

Im calling BS on the Asheville ranking. Having lived there for the past 5 years I have seen up close the rampant poverty, homelessness, drug addiction, and abuse. People were forever talking about how "cool" asheville was when I told them I lived there, but the reality was very, very different. The city is dirty. There is very little in the way of industry and the infrastructure is sorely outdated. There is also a huge wealth disparity- old money on one end, and minimum wage on the other. So yes- if you want to barter chickens for yoga or be a "trustafarian" as locals lovingly called the hippies, then yes- Asheville is great. If you are trying to survive otherwise, you will wind up moving after a couple of years.

2. Delighted to say that I live in Sweden (fourth bar on the right end), and I'm from 20 minutes south of Green Bay (orange dot). Nice way to start the day.

3. Diana says:

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We held the Olympics in 1988. We experienced a unusual devasting flood June 24. Out City of just o er 1 million people came together and they are turning away volunteers, big hearts! This is the best city in Canada and we are 25 minutes from the mountains. We are very very fortunate to live here!

4. mjrydsfast says:

Spending the first 27 years in Michigan, I can see why I left, ultimately for what was to be California. Sadly, now I'm in Florida and pushing hard to get back West.

5. Mikel says:

Colorado rocks…GREAT place to live, well, except for the traffic on I-25!

6. Emily Shaw says:

I wonder how Florida's scores are influenced by people on vacation Tweeting from Disneyworld, where they are cued to say they're tweeting from "the happiest place on Earth." Otherwise, happiness seems to have a lot to do with state-level population density.

7. Cliff says:

Critical thinking time. How many countries did they get data for? What countries were included, what countries were left out? Where was Bhutan in the rankings? How was happiness measured? How was happiness distinguished from delusion? Most critical thinkers will know that you can manipulate the result by manipulating the conditions and analysis. What matters is whether you are living in a manner that will increase happiness in yourself and others. Read any of the many books by the Dalai Lama.

8. proleisureracing says:

Spokane, WA ?!?! what?! Where's Bend, OR, Bozeman, MT and the countless other small mountain towns full of active, healthy and happy folks

9. Káli says:

SPOKANE! Wooooohooooo! <3

10. Having lived in Asheville for 17 years, I feel the need to defend this beautiful place in response to the Aville haters. I've lived in many places both within and outside the US. I'm here to tell you there is no perfect place. I love where I live because I don't worry about crime, the area is gorgeous, I get to hike every week in amazing places, I have many interesting, fun friends who have chosen to live here from many parts of the country, the food is good, yoga's excellent, many politically aware/active people. I've seen people come and go here, but the ones who stay seem to make life work very well.

11. Lysios says:

Colorado is second only to California (in number of cities on this map), but CA is so much larger ….

12. Jen says:

I love Slongmnt:)

13. Erin says:

I find it hard to take the results of a 'study' based on 'tweets' very seriously. First of all, only a slice of the population tweets, and albeit of a certain economic strata, therefore how can one claim to measure the overall happyness of a place if you are only sampling a specific group of people?

14. Lucky says:

Gee, Mexico on top of most popular countries? I'm not sure this is correct. I'm Mexican, I live in Mexico and though I'm better off than most Mexicans, this country's notoriety for poverty, violence, insecurity and impunity is an everyday reality. I don't know why we're above The States for example, or almost alike Canada. And if this is true, makes one think twice about moving elsewhere.

15. India Jane says:

Where is Santa Fe, NM? I was there for three weeks. Happiest, friendliest and hippest people EVER! Beautiful, great weather and amazing food. What's not to be happy about?

16. Warren says:

I find this curious. Did the study take into account how often people in a depressed or negative state might say something like, “I wish was happy”? Or how often people in a positive state of mind might tell someone else “don’t be sad”?

What if this study had things completely backwards?