Ahh, love—an on-going source of inspiration for musicians everywhere.
Writers never get tired of trying to put love into words that others can relate to, and we never get tired of hearing the love songs that talented artists create.
So here are ten of the best romance-themed songs—from several different genres and time frames—that were ever made for your listening pleasure (in no particular order).
1. INXS Not Enough Time (1992).
2. James Sometimes (Lester Piggot) (1993).
3. The Jesus and Mary Chain Sometimes Always (1994).
4. Al Green Let’s Stay Together (1972).
5. Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan Girl from the North Country (1969).
6. The Cure Lovesong (1989).
7. Pixies Hey (1989).
8. Sade Lovers Rock (2000).
9. Taj Mahal Lovin’ in my Baby’s Eyes (1996).
10. Bruno Mars Just the Way You Are (2010).
Obviously there are a billion other songs that could have been included on this list, but they aren’t as good so they weren’t.
Also, yes, I know that it’s probably pretty apparent by now that I largely grew up in the ’90s listening to English alternative rock—and I make no apologies for that. In fact, you’re welcome.
Seriously, though, I hope these songs move you as much as they do me.
I hope they give you goosebumps.
I hope you feel tears prick the backs of your eyes.
I hope your heart swells when you’re reminded of someone you love or have loved—because that’s why we adore these types of songs.
We’re in love with love–and there are definitely worse things to be captivated by.
Like elephant love on Facebook.
Ed: Sara Crolick