Can’t be Stylish Biking? My 38 Days of Bike Photos Will Prove You Wrong.

Via Jeanne Eisenhaureon Sep 21, 2013

Jeanne Eisenhaure #BikeStylish with Tesla

How do people know when you’ve ‘made it’?

Whether you should need to show off your success or not is another issue, but the fact remains that many of us see the things that others have and we long for them.

Growing up in a preppy suburb of Boston, I found myself coveting a slick looking Beemer because of how it looked, and more importantly, how I would look in it. I remember, with a little embarrassment, my mom asking me why I wanted a BMW, and I said, “because it is the ultimate driving machine”—she responded that their advertising had got me good.

While I no longer crave a BMW, I still have moments of coveting a slick new item from a responsible company like Patagonia, and frequently hear friends coveting the latest sports car or $120 pair of Lululemon pants, which got me thinking: What makes something aspirational?

Inspired by my friends who are oh so into the sexy cars, I wanted to help make biking sexy and aspirational—so created my 38 days (originally 30 days) of #BikeStylish.

For a period of a little over a month, I took a photo of the clothing I wore on my bike—often this was professional clothing or evening wear. I wanted to show my friends that I could be just as stylish and sexy riding my ’73 Maserati road bike as I could be behind the wheel of some sports car. I got a lot of wonderful feedback and had a lot of fun with the project.

My next self challenge will be 30 days of YouTube to help me get over my crippling awkwardness on video, so enjoy my first foray into video making with a slideshow of my #BikeStylish experiment.

YouTube Preview Image

#BikeStylish Day 5
#BikeStylish Day 5

#BikeStylish Day 6
#BikeStylish Day 6

#BikeStylish Day 7
#BikeStylish Day 7

#BikeStylish Day 8 (bike shorts under skirt for 16 mile round trip ride to help shoot a video with Elephant Journal)
#BikeStylish Day 8
#BikeStylish Day 9
#BikeStylish Day 9
#BikeStylish Day 10 (not very stylish this day, just went out for yoga)
#BikeStylish Day 10 (not very stylish this day, just went out for yoga)

#BikeStylish Day 11 (Happy 4th of July)
#BikeStylish Day 11 (Happy 4th of July)
#BikeStylish Day 12
#BikeStylish Day 12

#BikeStylish Day 13 (Inversions & Helmets)
#BikeStylish Day 13 (Inversions & Helmets)

#BikeStylish Day 13

#BikeStylish Day 27
#BikeStylish Day 27
#BikeStylish Day 28
#BikeStylish Day 28
#BikeStylish Day 29
#BikeStylish Day 29
#BikeStylish Day 30 (so much love for Elephant Journal)
#BikeStylish Day 30 (so much love for Elephant Journal)
#BikeStylish Day 31
#BikeStylish Day 31

#BikeStylish Day 32
#BikeStylish Day 32
#BikeStylish Day 33
#BikeStylish Day 33
#BikeStylish Day 34
#BikeStylish Day 34
#BikeStylish Day 35 (not a very stylish look on my way to softball, but I was honest about what I actually wore everyday)
#BikeStylish Day 35 (not a very stylish look on my way to softball, but I was honest about what I actually wore every day)
#BikeStylish Day 36
#BikeStylish Day 36
#BikeStylish Day 37
#BikeStylish Day 37

#BikeStylish Day 38
#BikeStylish Day 38

I wanted to show my friends that I could be just as stylish and sexy riding my ’73 Maserati road bike as I could be behind the wheel of some sports car. I received a lot of wonderful feedback including questions on just how I rode my bike in some of these outfits which I outline in my follow-up blog How to Bike in a Mini-Skirt (& Other Bike Stylish Tips).

Join in the fun in spreading biking love by posting your own #BikeStylish photos and tagging @Jeanne_EE  on Instagram. And, if you want to watch the goofiness of my next 30 challenge unfold, subscribe to my YouTube Channel.

No excuses, get out on your bike!

Like elephant bicycle on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

About Jeanne Eisenhaure

A pragmatic idealist with a background in marketing, sales, and operations, Jeanne has seen first hand how for-profit businesses can be vehicles for social and environmental improvement in addition to creating long-term sustainable financial growth. Jeanne works with mission-driven startups through her marketing agency 23 Sons to build the remarkable mission-focused businesses of the future. Why just build a business, when you can build a movement?

Learn more about Jeanne and connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and her most recent project YouTube. Discover her latest thoughts on marketing and using business strategy for social good on her blog at 23 Sons and connect with others focused on utilizing business for good 23 Sons Facebook page and @23_Sons on Twitter.

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

18 Responses to “Can’t be Stylish Biking? My 38 Days of Bike Photos Will Prove You Wrong.”

1. I've been dying to see this since I saw it in the "pending" box! Love it!!! woot woot!

• Jeanne Eisenhaure says:

Thanks Jennifer! So glad you liked it. Be sure to upload your #BikeStylish photos to instagram and tag @Jeanne_ee so I can check them out. Spread the bike love!

2. Jessie P says:

I LOVE this article. I try and ride my bike as much as I can, but have been stuck thinking I have to dress like a scrub while doing so. How do you deal with getting sweaty? Is it not as bad as one might think? Also, do you always wear shorts underneath when wearing skirts? Any tricks to avoid helmet head hair?

• Thanks Jessie, so glad you liked the article and great questions. Here are my responses:

Sweating CAN definitely be an issue, but will be less so as we move into fall. Here are a few tips to help:
      1) Dress in layers. When I'm going on a longer bike ride especially, I will try to wear something that is a tank top underneath. I bike in the tank top and roll up my nice shirt so it doesn't get sweaty.
      2) Choose your route carefully. Can you avoid hills and difficult terrain that requires more effort?
      3) Arrive early so you have a few minutes to cool down, splash water on your face, and or the ever so classy bathroom paper towel pit-dry dab.
      4) If you're going really far, you can always bike non-classy and change.

Re: shorts underneath: I don’t typically wear shorts, but here are all of my suggestions.

For short skirts/dresses:
      -Wearing shorts under your dress/skirt is always an option. These can be taken off easily when you arrive at your destination as I did in this photo: http://instagram.com/p/bQHXg4DGTU/
      -Find a wall or an alleyway to hop off your bike hear your destination. Remember flashing a wall is fine. This is my daily go-to move. http://instagram.com/p/a9ppGKDGWg/
      -If your skirt is super short & tight, you may need to hold down the center of the skirt to your seat with one hand while you ride. I had to do this move with this mini-dress: http://instagram.com/p/bH8IhjjGbU/ There is no getting around the awkwardness of this move and it can be tricky and possibly dangerous… so I recommend wearing short spandex shorts in this situation.

For medium to long skirts/dresses:
      -Tie the extra material in a knot at the side of your thigh so it doesn’t get caught in your bike or get greasy. I did this with this blue dress: http://instagram.com/p/cai0UzDGYR/
      -When you’re hopping off your bike, grab the exra material between your legs and you can get off without flashing anyone (this can be the same material that may have just been knotted http://instagram.com/p/bMshUyjGa3/

To avoid helmet hair. I have crazy curly hair, so helmet hair is kind of my look all of the time. I usually just shake it out and go. But maybe bring a small comb / brush and run it through after removing your helmet. Anyone with normal non-crazy hair have any suggestions for helmet hair?

• Jessie – I wrote a whole follow-up article based on your questions. I hope it helps! http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/09/how-to-bik

3. Sandja says:

Love it! Reminds me of Copenhagen Cycle Chic blog – check it out here http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com

4. toddlohenry says:

That is one good looking bicycle! I do wonder how you rode in some of those outfits — it's one thing to stand next to a bike and another thing altogether to show up a client's office composed…

• Hey Todd, I can assure you I rode in everyone of those outfits and showed up looking cool, calm, and collected having just had a nice ride instead of sitting in traffic. See my comment above on tips in riding in some of my dresses that I posted for Jessica P. Happy Biking!

5. Whitney says:

you are AWESOME!!!!!! ;)

I have yet to take up cycling. Mostly because I've had a hard time "seeing" myself as "that person.."
    You provided great insight! How about being your OWN person. Ding ding ding!

6. For those who want practical help biking stylish, check out my tips: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/09/how-to-bik

7. Tim says:

This is great to see how versitile you are on your bike. Although disappointed that there was no evidence of you with a helmet.

8. Super cute! I love that blue polka dotted dress. I'm not a biker, but I feel the same way about working from home — I get up and get dressed, and try to make it something reasonably stylish (but it has to also be comfortable and practical).

9. Kate says:

A great example of how to look stylish on a bike! One question though: are some of those long dresses practical?

10. @OsmanParvez says:

I want to see today's photo. Brrr!