We Are Not Here to Do Everything, We Are Here to Do Something. {Video}

Via on Sep 23, 2013

Painting of orphanage

“One is not born in the world to do everything but to do something.”

~ Henry David Thoreau

This is the story of Maggie Doyne—a young teenager ready to pursue a college education after graduating from high school. Maggie felt as though she needed to learn more about herself, so in lieu of college, she decided to take a year off and travel the world.

Throughout her travels, Maggie found herself in Nepal. She saw children that had been orphaned and in poverty, unable to attend school and forced to work laborious jobs to be able to eat. She wanted to do something, but felt that one person could not do enough.

fingerpainting at orphanageThat’s when a thought occurred to her: “What if I can just help one?”

With that as a motive, she paid for one child to get a uniform and enroll in school. This soon led to a few more children, which led to her using her life savings to purchase a plot of land for a school that now has more than 300 students enrolled.

Sometimes we feel like one person is not enough to change the world; in reality, it only takes one person. You have the capacity to influence someone’s life.

What will you do?

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

Ed: Sara Crolick

About Dana Gornall

Dana Gornall is a mom of three crazy kids and a dog. She works as a licensed massage therapist in Amherst, Ohio and is a certified sign language interpreter. She is always looking forward to even more personal growth. While not interpreting, doing massage, or being with her family she loves going to yoga. You can connect with her on Twitter and Facebook.

8 Responses to “We Are Not Here to Do Everything, We Are Here to Do Something. {Video}”

1. Edie Lazenby Edie says:

Dana: You outdid yourself! Very impressive….

2. Ursula says:

Holly cow. This girl is amazing. I am in awe of a girl half my age! I cannot believe what she did. It does remind me a bit of the story of the little Princes who are actually trafficked children who are being reintegrated with their families and communities. And it was Connor who, at the same age and with as much or as little resources started NGN. All I can say is bravo. I wish our young people here had this positive attitude, this drive to do something to better the world and this hope to see it happen. People like Maggie restore my faith in humanity. Hats off and please keep going and inspiring others to liver their potential like that.

3. elephantjournal says:

The most inspiring thing I've seen on elephant in a year. Thank you. Featuring.

4. Linda Lewis Linda V. Lewis says:

Wonderful! She is so inspiring and articulate, and so happy to be giving. She definitely has found her passion and purpose in life, while putting so many smiles on so many children. Giving these orphans a school is not just educating them but giving them a family. May this video be shared widely! Thank you for sharing!

5. melissa says:

Love…

6. envisionhealing says:

It's easy for us to feel overwhelmed by our inability to solve all of the world's problems…I've been feeling really discouraged on that front lately. Your article reminds me that we don't have to solve them all alone, we just need to do our part. Keeping that in mind relieves the fearful overwhelmed-ness enough to really do something. You rock!

• @DanaGornall says:

I agree totally. Sometimes we get caught up in the idea that we just can't help everyone so why bother? (not all of us mind you, but some of us) Maggie is a wonderful example of how even a small thing (paying for even just one child's education) can lead to big things.

7. Laura Kutney laurakutney says: