8 Interesting Points regarding the US Government Shut Down.

Via on Oct 1, 2013

sorryclosed

Update: Republican Debt Crises Have Killed 900,000 Jobs: Study (huffingtonpost.com)

Update: Shutdown: US ‘Days’ from Causing Worldwide Economic Disaster, says World Bank – ”If this comes to pass, it could be a disastrous event for the developing world, and that will in turn greatly hurt developed economies as well.“ (independent.co.uk)

Government Shutdown: White House budget office has directed federal agencies to close.

“It’s happening because the Republican majority in the House of Representatives insisted on only passing funding bills that had some repeal of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) attached.”

~

“One faction of one party in one house of Congress in one branch of government doesn’t get to shut down the entire government just to re-fight the results of an election,” [President Obama] said during a statement at the White House.

Unfortunately, they just did.

Update:

The Republican-led House of Representatives insisted on delaying President Barack Obama’s healthcare reform – dubbed Obamacare – as a condition for passing a bill.

More than 700,000 federal employees face unpaid leave with no guarantee of back pay once the deadlock is over.

It is the first shutdown in 17 years and the dollar fell early on Tuesday.

Goldman Sachs estimates a three-week shutdown could shave as much as 0.9% from US GDP this quarter…

As lawmakers grappled with the latest shutdown, the 17 October deadline for extending the government’s borrowing limit looms even larger.

On that date, the US government will reach the limit at which it can borrow money to pay its bills, the so-called debt ceiling.

House Republicans have also demanded a series of policy concessions – including on the president’s health law and on financial and environmental regulations – in exchange for raising the debt ceiling.

~

> “800,000 federal employees are now forced into unpaid leave. Almost all of NASA shut down, except for Mission Control in Houston. Nearly 3,000 Federal Aviation Administration safety inspectors were furloughed along with most of the National Transportation Safety Board’s employees. National parks closed along with the Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo.”

The Dept. of the Interior

This is a detailed list of the jobs being furloughed, etc. JUST in the Dept. of the Interior… I’m especially bummed about the USGS laying off 8,580 employees! Not to mention… When the National Park Service ‘Shuts Down’ no one gets to go to the National Parks! “Park facilities would generally not be available to park visitors. Visitor centers would be closed and access to park areas denied, including the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Independence Hall, Alcatraz, and the Washington Monument. ”

> “There have been 41 attempts in the US House of Representatives to delay, repeal, or amend for purposes of delay or repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. There has also been one related loss in the US Supreme Court.

> Those supporting this shut down have caused harm to our people, our economy, and now even the families and children of uniformed service members.

> “Here’s a link to an article about Obama signing a bill so we can continue paying our soldiers. Since a lot of the people in the military lean toward the Republican side, he could have let them suffer and turn against the Republican party. Instead he chose to pass the first bill he could to pay them. That deserves some credit.” Source.

> And while we’re here, for all the Republicans on TV that say that since they still have the majority in the House that the American people have given them the mandate to repeal the ACA, rremember that thanks to gerrymandering the Republicans managed to lose the popular vote for Representatives but still control the majority of seats.

> So are the politicians no longer getting paid? Oh, you.

> “The government shutdown is a problem, but the really dangerous thing would be to not raise the debt ceiling two weeks from now. There were 17 government shutdowns of varying duration between 1976 and 1996 (Source: NYTimes). The US government’s failure to pay its debts is without precedent. If this bullshit isn’t resolved quickly, the financial markets and economy will react very negatively and likely threaten what little economic recovery we’ve got going on. It is not unreasonable to say that we could be looking at a new recession if that were to happen.” Quote.

About elephant journal

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

11 Responses to “8 Interesting Points regarding the US Government Shut Down.”

1. Interesting that another government shutdown occurred during a Democratic president and Republican congress. This situation was our cooking-dinner discussion last night.
    Great job on this.

2. Heather says:

What would you call the end of '95 and beginning of '96 if not a gov't shutdown??

3. B smith says:

This article is one sided, biased and very pro Obama. If you are going to publish an article on shut down there are always two sides to every story, and your journal should make at least an attempt to speak the opposition point of view. This article is a ridiculous liberal misleading and untruthful example of liberal media bias. Done with elephant jpurnal

4. pam morgan says:

Agree. Where can I go to find journalism, unbiased, without opinion who, what, when. where, why reporting?

We have been sheep and now sent to slaughter.

5. Gary says:

I agree B Smith . Please stick to spiritual enlightening articles and not political one sided explanations that intend to mislead
    people into believing that politics has any answers that will serve any of us in making our contribution and add value to the human condition.

6. Un American says:

With the Shut Down maybe Americans will get off the fat bottom before they get put in the re-education camps and have there Bank account swipe.. remember Cyprus? Get ready fools

7. New2Politics says:

I haven't followed politics much in my life, but started looking into this government shut down thing the other day to just become a more informed citizen. Some background: my parents are conservative but about 90% of my friends are liberals. I just graduated with a business degree from a very liberal university in a conservative state. In other words, I've never really known where to stand on the current political issues because i've been surrounded by so many different people with different perspectives. I finally decided to read into this for myself so I could form my own opinion and here is what i gathered.

1) Most Americans have no idea what a government bond is and what its significance is to the debt ceiling or gov't shutdown. Finance and economics are too complicated for the average person to understand and that leads to less understanding of why republicans feel the way they do.
    2) The media has so much power in influencing public opinion – if you don't know about government debt or the republican perspective and you watch Saturday Night Live, Comedy Central, or CNN, then you'll leave believing that republicans are evil, heartless, and dumb (at the same time, republicans aren't doing a very good job at not being portrayed in that light)
    3) While the shutdown is partially about ObamaCare, it really isn't the core issue despite how the media portrays it. It's about being smart about finances. Perhaps the focus should be more about how to make health care cheaper and not just more available. There IS a difference.

Overall, I tried to use a real world example to understand this whole thing. I think a simplified but dramatic version of the whole situation is this (I know it's not exactly the same but this is how I understood this situation when i was reading about it): Let's say I have 100K in student loans after I graduate. I also just started working and I earn a salary. I live in a city that's really exciting and full of things to do. I want to go to concerts, sporting events, buy cool things, live in a baller apartment eat at nice restaurants, etc. This all costs money and I need to make sure I can do all these things while still being able to pay off my student loans. When my first student loan payment is due next month, I decide to just get a separate bank loan to pay off the student loan payment. Then when the bank loan is due, I take out another bank loan to pay the other bank loan. I keep doing this and living my high class lifestyle until eventually the banks get skeptical about my real ability to pay off my loans and don't give me any more loans. I can't pay off my student loans or bills as a result and my credit score drops. Now that my credit score has dropped, I can't buy a house or build equity. Is this good for my future? No it isn't. But you're the owner of the restaurant I eat at every Friday and I'm your top customer, who also only pays through credit card. Do you think I should change my spending ways?