As part of the reorganization by its parent company, Active Interest Media, Yoga Journal is moving to Boulder, Colorado.
What can we expect when yoga’s feel good magazine sets up shop at the corner of “happy” and “healthy?”
- Meetings over breakfast smoothies with the brains behind Origin, Mantra, elephant journal, Gaiam T.V., the Hanuman Festival, 90 Monkeys and Yoga Journal. Can you pass the stevia?
- Fewer black people on the mat. Boulder has just 1% African American population, but I hear all of them practice yoga.
- YJ will have to search for curvy yogis too. Boulder is the healthiest city in the U.S. with the fewest obese people.
- But there are lots of smart people. Almost 94% have a high school diploma, and 60% have a college degree.
- More love. Because we can never have enough love. Boulder is all about love and peace. There is also fracking, but we’ll stick with love for now.
- No snarky columnists. Boulder does not love the snark—it is politically incorrect. Yoga is not funny and only those who take it seriously get to enlightenment. So click here if you want a list of Yoga Light Bulb Jokes.
- No more Jason Crandall. Sniff. We love the big, sweet, self-effacing and sexy “yoga is for dudes” dude. But he’s not relocating.
- New yoga-lebrities. YJ is known for using local talent, so expect to see your Boulder crew, Gina Caputo, Shannon Paige, Amy Ippoliti, and Jeannie Manchester grace the pages.
- More organic and vegan recipes. (There are 37 vegan restaurants and pretty much everything is organic.)
- No petting zoo at the company party. Boulder has famously banned this abuse of animals.
What won’t change?
The stories about how to find bliss from our industry’s leading magazine, only now, it will be headquartered in our country’s leading yoga community.
Think of the synergy—obviously somebody did.
Want 15 free additional reads weekly, just our best?
Ed: Bryonie Wise
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 344 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 160 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 364 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 956 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 2 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,391 share 5 Ways to Kiss & Make Up for your Mercury Retrograde Mishaps. 499 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,249 share The Fourth Kind of Love. 0 shares 15 Cool Things Yoga has Taught Me. (Hint: None of them are Handstand.) 2,493 shares