This is How an Elephant Says Goodbye (to a Job She Loves).

Via on Mar 19, 2014

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 7.37.57 PM

“You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.”

~ Frederick Buechner

Author’s note: On Monday March 17th, 2014, I resigned from my role as Managing Editor at elephant journal—this is my goodbye love note.

For as long as I’ve lived (and maybe in some of my other lives as well), I’ve wondered what it is about the goodbyes that break our hearts.

We take joy in the hellos; we celebrate them, we hug, we dance and sing—and the goodbyes are left out in the cold of winter, to the tears, sorrow and sometimes, our own mindlessness. It’s like we forget we were in love—we forget what the first days were together, our first kiss, our first I love you—and we become enemies, when it is in the goodbye that we can make the most magic and find the most grace.

This year has been my year of letting go; of shedding skin and of learning to trust the sound my own heart makes in my chest, even if she is beating alone—especially if she is beating alone.

Here is the problem: lately, I have not been able to hear my heart. Her sound is muffled through my chest and even if I settle quietly into the bath, ready to listen to what she says, she is too tired to speak to me.

When I find the energy to unroll my mat, it is my exhausted tears that show up before I have a chance to unfurl myself and let my bones settle so that my heart can breathe.

This is it, the root of the root, the bud of the bud: we accept the love we think we deserve—and that means the love we give to ourselves, too.

Life is short and my heart is big and it’s time to take care of her, first—are you reading carefully? This is my goodbye, friends and I’m mustering up as much love as I can to make it sparkle.

And so, to all of you, dreamers of dreams who have trusted me with holding your words and reshaping them, I thank you for the honor of allowing me to get to know you in the most remarkable way.

To the beating hearts who have read my words and commented and shared and sent messages sharing your stories, I thank you for the privilege of connecting with you, near and far.

To the magical apprentices that amaze me every single day, thank you for pouring your heart and soul into everything you do and for being brave and strong and true.

To the elephants (Waylon, Lindsey, Colin, Samara, Cat, Rachel, Meg, ReneeJenna and our newbie, Travis), the-teeny-tiny-but-mighty-staff that maintains a foundation strong enough to hold us all, I thank you above all else.

“The story of life is quicker than the wink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye…until we meet again.”

~ Jimi Hendrix

Relephant reads:

How I Quit My Job to Find My Life’s Work.

Conversations with a Human Heart.

This is How We Say Goodbye.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Photo: here

About Bryonie Wise

Bryonie’s life is rooted in the belief that when we come from a place of love, anything is possible. When not teaching yoga or writing her heart to the bone, she can be found frolicking in the sunshine with her camera and her dog, Winston, living her yoga. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

69 Responses to “This is How an Elephant Says Goodbye (to a Job She Loves).”

1. Dana Gornall DanaGornall says:

"Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos."
    ~ Charles M. Schulz

I know this is hard. Sending love to you.

2. Ann Nichols ann nichols says:

I have found you an inspiration and a delight. Although I suspect I may be old enough to be your mother, I sometimes want to be you when I grow up. I will miss you, but I know how hard it is to do the thing that's right for you and I think this must be thatright thing for you. Be magnificent out there.

3. Gerry Ellen Avery Gerry Ellen says:

I hope to one day meet you in person, Bryonie. Thank you for all the gifts you have given us writers along the way. Take care of yourself, be well, and love beyond the ocean. :) xoxo

4. Thank you Bryonie. For everything. I love you.

5. elephantjournal says:

Well, I might have hoped for more of a personal note, for we were friends and I love[d] you, and colleagues, and warriors, and we went through ups and downs and all arounds…but in the end nothing is personal, and as you write, it's a time to let go—that time being life.

As I've already writ: To Bryonie: a dear friend, a love, a colleague, a teacher, and our managing editor, who worked even when told not to and over hours and unpaid, and burnt herself out…I don't think this is real or right, though it is both. This loss will hurt elephant, though elephant is bigger and less than any one of us. We will recover in some months' time, with the help of Travis May, Renée Picard, @Jenna Lyons, our new editors, and the leaders of Rachel Nussbaum and Cat Beekmans, our now-senior editors, and of course Lindsey Block, mama Bear.

"…every [wo]man
    is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine;
    if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe
    is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as
    well as if a Manor of thy friends or of thine
    owne were…"

Do not underestimate your smile, and your crying eyes, or your unicorn horn—it's sharp.

• elephantjournal says:

Heart beating. Barely breathing. Tears forming. More words to come, but they don't all come at once; you know that better than anyone. Always personal, even when not.

Love. And gratitude. Repeat.

6. Dana says:

um…baby goats in sweaters?
    Thank you for the love and light you bring to your work,may it come back to you by many wonderful roads.

7. Erica Leibrandt Erica says:

You are as radiant in your exit as you have been in your presence. I am imagining you flying on golden wings. XOE

8. Laura Kutney laurakutney says:

Oh Bryonie,

I want to send to you my very best wishes for a very bright future full of all the love you deserve from yourself and others. You are good and kind and will do well where-ever your heart leads you. And thank you for all that you have personally given to me.

Love, Laura xoxo

9. Paige says:

Such a beautiful goodbye from such an inspirational woman. Thank you for everything.

10. Kathryn Livingston says:

You will be deeply missed (even by those, like me, who never met you in person!). Wishing you many blessings on your path.

11. yogini says:

Our loss, your heart's gain! Love your work!

12. Edie Lazenby Edie says:

As always you go above and beyond…well done Bryonie. Your heart is big. I will have to send you a poem and piece that will be out soon…you will understand when you see it. I know grief well. Shame and I are intimate. Anger has met me in more places I care to admit to….and yet I have found love and joy and gratitude stronger, able to hold more and give more. You are healing….I have faith in you. With love.

13. Ashley holly says:

You are an inspiration, a secret soul sister, friend and wordwitch! Follow your open heart down the windiest of roads and share all your stories en route :) Bon voyage …

14. Tom Grasso Tom Grasso says:

It’s been awesome working with you, and I am truly sorry to see you leave. You’ve been a trusted partner for many of us who turn our art and soul over to Elepahnt Journal, a trust hard to recreate and develop.

Thank you for all you’ve done.

For me, the best way to say goodbye is to never say it. Instead, we simply trust in new beginnings and our mindful decisions. It’s never truly goodbye in our wonderful experience.

15. Jackie says:

I will miss your Love. Heart and soul be kind. Sweet dreams will follow. Take care of her, Winston.

16. Edie Weinstein snuggleyoga says:

Thank you for being my first Elephant Journal editor. I loved working with you. SO glad you are honoring yourself. Such a vibrant example of self love and compassion. Blessings on your next steps on your journey. <3 Edie

17. Heather Grimes Heather Grimes says:

Oh, Bryonie!
    You have been such a support and a landing pad for the words that I write for elephant,
    and I will miss your x's and o's.
    You have done such a wonderful job, not only with your skillful editing, but with your inspirational words
    and thoughtful posts.
    I wish you the best of luck.
    xoxo, Heather

18. swati jr* says:

Bryonie. I've been so grateful for you on the other end of my laptop- knowing that my weekly posts have been not only appreciated but so thoughtfully edited so consistently. You are good at what you do……And I know you have much more to offer- your Self and others. I wish nothing but the best for you as you reach within, find your passionate heart and let it soar! May you thrive and prosper. Sending my love and light.
    xoxo

• elephantjournal says:

It has been a joy to read your words and I thank you for the light you shine. Thank you for your kind words. xo

19. Michelle Marchildon says:

Thank you dear friend and editor. For everyone knows, you made me look good. I will miss you a lot.

20. Jenna Penielle Lyons Jenna Lyons says:

Love you, sister. Imma come up to Canada and surprise the hell outa you! Xoxox

21. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Bryonie, I hope you spread your wings far and wide, because I can tell you that just from the relatively little contact we've had your dignity, compassion, and all round general awesomeness deserve far and wide wing-spreading.
    I'll miss your straight-up very considerate help.
    With love,
    Ben

22. Andrew Nathan says:

So beautiful. I'm missing your words and work already xx

23. Michael Mark michael says:

"Go as a river," thanks for flowing by me.

24. Lynn Shattuck Lynnola says:

Oh, Bryonie! What a lovely goodbye post. Thank you for all your work and love. I'm trusting that you're leaping on to whatever is perfectly next for you. My very best to you.

25. Betsy says:

Simply put, you've made a difference in my life. In the end, that's what all of us want to know when we put our heart and souls out there. Rest in the quiet space that you are creating for yourself and hear what comes next. I suspect ( actually, really hope) that we have not heard the last from your special soul. Be well. Be happy. Be at peace.

• elephantjournal says:

Wow. Thank you Betsy—I'm humbled and grateful for your kind words. Oh this soul has a lot to say! xoxo

26. Karl Saliter karl says:

Definitely our loss, Bryonie. I respect what you wrote here. I will miss your light, intelligent touch as an editor.

27. Joni Biesemeier Kalstrup lumina99 says:

Bryonie: Thanks for inspiring me! I hope you keep posting on elephant even as you step into your next adventure. You've laid a solid foundation for all of us; now time for you.

Joni

28. Rhonda T. says:

I truly feel as though I owe you something and for that I pay you with my heart felt wishes for continually receiving/giving (in perfect measure) the love, peace and joy that you have worked to spread. You have used compassion and given with generous spirit whenever I made submissions. Though some of them have been better than others – you were always giving and encouraging. I feel like I may be losing my "friendly contact" at EJ, but I do have faith that whoever you left to walk in your shoes will be inspired by your deeds!!
    Go and Be Happy – As You Deserve To Be…

29. Zoe Rei says:

Thank you for all the wonderful loving work you have done. May your heart have space to speak and sing loudly and may your road be filled with more love and joy.

30. Ainver says:

Thank you for your beautiful presence in this world! May Sun shine upon you and Love surround you on the journey of letting go and embracing what is in front of you!

31. Annie Au says:

Will miss you! thank you so much for the work you've done in elephant! Greatest thanks to you and your magical editing on my work! Best of luck to wherever your heart leads you to~ Annie

32. Jen Loving Jen Loving says:

Thank you for the joy you have brought and more importantly ….. thank you for the inspiration. My love for elephant journal will continue…..but you will be missed as you were a valuable piece. May your journey be full of love and light. Safe travels.

33. Kai DuBose says:

Thank you for sharing part of yourself with us all. It was your words, those pieces of yourself that brought me to EJ in the beginning. Thank you for inspiring me to write and share a bit of me with you all. So glad our paths crossed as they did. Peace and blessings love and light always! xoxo

34. victoria49 says:

Especially in the goodbyes, we can love like the ocean…I have always been deeply touched and inspired by your pieces, to read such a raw, vulnerable heart in print is truly an inspiration to just be brave and love, and keep on loving through all the pain of it. Probably those are your very words, so deeply ingrained they are now! thank you for your big brave heart, and all the best for the next phase.

35. Michelle Margaret Fajkus Michelle Margaret says:

Congrats, Bryonie. Best decision you could make. Your heart will be singing soon if it's not already. Thank you for everything.
    Love & namaste,
    Michelle

36. angmccormick says:

It doesn't have to be sad. I loved your writings about goodbyes. I have to agree… "Until we meet again…" is all one really has or needs. It can also be shared in such beauty. I know.