Via elephant journal
on Jun 13, 2014
get elephant's newsletter

Love thyself as you are, then you can improve:

~
Before Photoshop, there was pinup art. (NSFW) (imgur.com)

The imagination is a fun thing. Being okay with ourselves is even better.

View post on imgur.com

“In most of the cases the artist made the image more slender and prettier than the actual model. So, nothing has changed…Waists get thinner, legs get leaner, boobs get bigger.”

“Except that in these pictures, it’s … obvious it’s an illustration and that the woman pictured could look different, or could simply have been imagined by the artist. Photoshop presents an image of a real person, and the intention is to make you think they actually look like what you see. IMO, one is intentionally misleading, and the other is not.”

“As a strait chick, I’ve always wondered what it is about American pinup girls that I like. Looking these over, I think I’ve figured it out. It’s the positive sexuality they portray. The pictures aren’t demeaning to their subjects in any way and the girls themselves are like, “Yeah, you know I’m hot!” In a society where it’s not okay for a woman to publicly admit that they know they are attractive, this is kind of refreshing.”

About elephant journal

Comments

12 Responses to “30 Photos, before & after: Photoshop has a long & glorious, hot & fun pre-History.”

1. pnutgalry says:

also duck face is apparently nothing new….

2. In_defense_of_art says:

"Photoshop"? Bullshit. This is painting. Photoshop is a computer program, not a blanking term for changing what isn't ideal in an image. Call it altering, changing, fixing, even ruining if you want, but don't demean the effort of the artist by calling it Photoshop. These images are made by hand, not a computer.

3. what? says:

I disagree, I DO find it demeaning to women! Women as sex objects is SO engrained in our culture! WOW! I get that this is 1950's '60s, but this is not the message I would want to send to our daughters.

4. @kent_leung says:

I disagree with: "In a society where it’s not okay for a woman to publicly admit that they know they are attractive, this is kind of refreshing.”"

I can think of countless magazine covers, count-less celebrities in the current age that portrays: "Yea. You know I'm hot". Giving off such a message is the norm, and has been for awhile. For problem lies in why can't the image given off (by a women) be: "Yea. You know I'm intelligent.", "Yea. You know I'm powerful.", "Yea. You know I'm rich.", "Yea. You know I make great business decisions under pressure.", "Yea. I'm a great scientist even under criticism." etc., etc.

5. Jsf says:

They have showed these photos before. The ladies on the left were re-creating the old photos. There is nothing photo shop about these because the pictures were around a long time before these ladies decided to pose for them

6. Mat says:

Elvgren was the best of the best but, to compare, in any way, a Master's work with paint and canvas to computer photo manipulation is simply missing the entire point.

7. josh says:

I would definitely bend any of those hotties over a barrel, and show them the 50 states.