Quit Choosing Busy & Start Choosing what we Love.

Via on Jul 6, 2014

Janne Robinson

I am sick of having people tell me they are “too busy” to do what they love.

All their wildest dreams, passions, and ideas sit covered in cobwebs while they run around in circles accomplishing nothing towards their calling.

Psssst, I’ve got a secret.

Doing what you love is easy.

The universe is a pretty fair woman. If you stare her dead in the eye and tell her your heart’s ambitions—she will make it happen.

You can’t tip toe around and speak quietly with her, she’s got a lot on her plate. But if you shoot from the hip to her and then wake up each day and make the choice to do what you love, she will help you speak it into existence.

In order to do what you love, and make money at what you love you must fully commit to that thing.

No one foot in, one foot out, sometimes or when you “have time.”

The key to doing what you love is to wake up each morning and choose it. Choose to create space to do it, choose to throw yourself with all your might into the belly of it.

That’s it, that’s all.

You will not become a writer if you don’t create space to pick up a pen. You will never become a painter if your color pallets collect dust in the basement. You aren’t getting any closer to mastering a head stand when you only make it to yoga once every two weeks.

“But I work 40 hours a week, have two kids, and commuting to and from my job each day takes two hours,” you say.

I currently work five jobs. I make space to write with those five jobs. Because what I love is the most deserving of my space, time and energy.

Is what you love, deserving of yours?

Why aren’t you doing it?

Fear, financial stress, lack of time, lack of energy?

Ever feel too exhausted to go to the gym? And on those days you do go, have you ever came home revitalized and full of energy? Because as contradicting as it seems, exerting energy gives you energy.

Instead of procrastinating with all your invented “busy” you choose each day, get your ass out the door and go do that thing you really love.

“And after all, if you do really like what you’re doing, it doesn’t matter what it is, you can eventually become a master of it. It’s the only way to become a master of something, to be really with it.”

~ Alan Watts

Doing what we love gives us energy. It feeds us. It’s like an effing cacao, hemp, chia, algae super smoothie for our soul.

The way to truly know that you love what you do, is when you can go to your job completely depleted and come home full of energy.

Make the choice to do what you love, or keep choosing “busy” and quit complaining.

Relephant:

10 Ways to Rock Your Morning.

~

A Take-No-Sh*t List for Your Well Being.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Travis May

Photo: Author’s own

About Janne Robinson

Janne Robinson is currently residing on the Sunshine Coast, BC learning to cut kindling with her teeth and make friends with the black bears in the woods. You can find her coordinating fundraisers for Veterinarians Without Borders, stretching her soul in yoga, skinny dipping with glee in the moonlight and getting dirty in her garden. She loves Billie Holiday, the smell of freshly cut cedar and whiskys that sway their hips when they walk and know what they are doing. You can connect with her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Please also visit and connect with her Facebook writer's page.

14 Responses to “Quit Choosing Busy & Start Choosing what we Love.”

1. MAD Hippies says:

Such a simple, yet beautifully profound message! As you look back on your life these words will become even more clear and real, don't wait. :)

2. Stef says:

It is a simple and true message. Though for weeks I have the time in which I could do what would give me energy. But I don't have the energy. I have a job I hate. But I can't leave because I have those fears you are talking about. And I am waiting for something like a breakdown that I can finally quit. Isn't it weird.

• Janne Robinson jannerobinson says:

Hi Stef,

Thank you for writing me. All the energy your job you hate is currently consuming, and all the energy that will go into recuperating from said break down, could be used now. It is easier to leave things– a job or relationship when someone is "the bad guy" or has done something wrong. We feel a sigh of relief that we can walk away. It takes much more courage and strength to stare a career or a person in the eye before that point, (before inventing and trying to create ways to leave eaiser. ) and to just say, "this doesn't serve my well being anymore" and walk away with grace. Jump, the universe will catch you.

love,

Janne

• Stef says:

Thank you Janne! This gives me so much strenghths! I'm preparing the next steps now and will jump into the universe! Love, Stef

3. Cara says:

My mantra is "follow the happy." That path has taken me a few different places, and always happy places. Life is too short to spend it doing things we hate. Thanks for this lovely post!

4. Robert says:

I have a creative passion that I am currently living, and finally making some money doing, although I still need other odd jobs to survive at the moment. I also have other passions that I want to explore; some like acting, where a greater investment would be required and little income, so now is not the time for it; others that I could pursue through graduate education in order to help others AND make more money. I know that my purpose in life is not one singular thing; so I'm curious on how you would suggest cultivating multiple passions and making enough money to survive?

• Guest says:

I, too, desire the answer to this.

• Janne Robinson jannerobinson says:

Hi Robert,

I can't speak for anything other than my own experience. That being said knowledge can come from hearing a story of another and wisdom is from experiencing it first hand. I will share my current path, career wise and what I have learned, I hope this provides insight to what you are looking for!

I currently work writing for Elephant Journal, doing biographies and website content. I am also a social media manager, researcher, intern, assistant for a Canadian Award Winning Filmmaker, coordinate fundraisers for a non profit organization that works with stray dogs and communities in central america and I serve four to five nights a week at two different jobs.

Some people might remark holy mackrol you are busy! But most importantly I am busy with things I love. I think this makes the difference. Six months ago I quit a sales job in Edmonton and flew out here to intern with miscallenous writing work. My serving jobs keep me financially afloat and are neccessary. My internship, writing and fundraising work feeds me soul. And truly, serving is a constant source of human connection so it also feeds me– I work at a oyster house on the water and its outside and in the sunshine and I love the people I work with and for.

The beautiful thing I find is that in Canada (for that is what I know) you can try out multiple careers. You can spend six years in school to be a laywer, change your mind, spend five years being teacher and end up selling gelato from a food truck. We have the oppurtunities to dip our toes into many careers, so as you say and are very right– our purpose in life is not one singular thing.

I suggest finding something to fall back on, this will be diferent for every person. I have served most of my life and can easily work a few months somewhere and pocket enough cash to blast off and write. I personally think that trades are a GREAT place to invest time in if you are interested in any. You are paid well and it is often short contracted work. As a woman BCIT offers a three month womans in the trade course where you can try out carpentry, electrical, plumbing, aviation mechanics, car mechanics etc. I am sure there are similar programs wherever you are from.

Although I might not love carpentry (who knows, haven't been yet) as much as I love writing. I will love the financial space it will give me and time to work on my writing in the future. It feeds me, literally and also contributes to my art and work I love.

Unless you are wildly successful at your art, it is often neccessary and wise to have something to fall back upon. Most artists I know, even award winning filmmakers with world wide known films still get in financial crunches and need to find other work. Unforuntately as an artist, we must often have a few things on the go to survive. C'est la vie!

I send you strength, and support in your journey.

5. Amy says:

Absolutely agree! Love this message. Totally words to live by :) It was something I realised a few years ago and made an effort to change, even though lots of people in my life warned me not to and seemed to think I was nuts. I don't entirely blame them. I suppose we're taught that we should do what's safe and predictable, and society seems to think that chasing the money is far more acceptable than chasing the dream! But then I keep remembering this saying "If you do a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life"

I agree that if everybody made a bit more time for the happy, even it's just as a hobby, then all the rest of the soul-sucking crap of boring work, pointless meetings and office politics would seem a little more bearable.

• Janne Robinson jannerobinson says:

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your words. I love that quote and I agree entirely. When you love your job it fills you up, it doesn't take. I hope you don't have ANY soul sucking work and just soul rocking, filling awesome work.

Here's to happy,