John Oliver Takes on Trump—& Yes, It’s Brilliant.

Via Toby Israel
on Feb 29, 2016
get elephant's newsletter

Youtube

My favorite comedian and my least favorite politician—what’s not to love about John Oliver’s latest Last Week Tonight segment?

He has gone back on his promise not to cover the 2016 elections, because this all needed to be said.

Oliver takes on so many Trump myths, from, “he tells it like it is” to, “he’s independent and not owned by anyone,” I don’t know which one to choose. You’ll need to watch the whole thing, but skip to 15:29 for the crux of it if you don’t have time to watch the full segment.

This is brilliant.

Don’t take my word for it, though. A few of the top reactions from Reddit:

“This was insanely great. It’s amazing that people even voted for him in the first place.” ~ vloger

“Oh man.. I did not want John to stop. He could’ve talked about this for an hour and i wouldn’t be bored.” ~ jchoulfc92

“Vicious. Loved it. A genuine warning in there too – it / he’s funny to a point but now it’s getting a little too close to actually screwing things up quite a bit.” ~ meleeuk

“My wife just pointed out, everything that the Kardashians get hate for, Drumpf supporters consider a quality worth voting for. Except for the fact that Kardishian brand stuff actually sells better…” ~ DaveSW777

“Was NOT disappointed. Thank you John Oliver for putting him on blast. Hopefully this will knock some sense into his “supporters.”” ~ jeric13xd

I’m just going to leave this here:

Another Redditor wrote:

“This was a good segment, but I don’t think it will have any impact. It’s really amazing how people like Trump simply because he says politically incorrect things. Why should that make anyone qualified for the presidency?”

Indeed, Oliver is largely “preaching to the choir” here. So, can we change that?

This is truth disguised as comedy (the best kind of comedy—and the best kind of truth), but truth nonetheless. Can we share this beyond the choir (elephant journal’s mission, as it so happens) and do our part in making an impact?

~

Author: Toby Israel

Image: Youtube

~

About Toby Israel

Toby Israel is an incorrigible vagabond. She travels in search of dragons, searches and cross-cultural understanding. Avid dancer, yogi, cook and lover of words, she is inspired by movement and poetry, good food and new things. She studied Anthropology at Middlebury College and now has the privilege of working as an editor at elephant journal. She also continues to find her way in the world as a 21st century nomad, and you can share her journey at her travel blog, Next Stop World, and on FacebookInstagram and Twitter!

Comments

6 Responses to “John Oliver Takes on Trump—& Yes, It’s Brilliant.”

1. Kael says:

I think comedy is such a powerful tool to keep people engaged in receiving quality information that can benefit the masses.
    This is so well done by Johnny! Thanks for sharing this video!

2. Michele Marie says:

Brooks of the NYT defined Trump’s

voting base this past weekend as comprised

of people who have high authoritarian personalities. Trump’s popularity among these folks — an important distinction given T rates high in all usual demographic groupings — makes sense given this “flushing out” of their one core attribute by Brooks and the underlying analytical research.

With all due respect to the author above — T is not a rational choice to be dealt with by exposing his lies, distortions & narcissm.

His acolytes admire “law & order, hierarchy, patriarchy, misogyny, racism, tradition, money, power & winning”. How T became wealthy, a fearless bully, and THE silver back alpha male is irrelevant. That he is all that means everything.

3. Norm says:

Michele Marie – I am a life long conservative and I found this to be hilariously funny.

I think in many cases the authoritarian thing is spot on. But there is something else at work too, and I've yet to really put my finger on it. While I do admire law and order, and business success (rather than money itself), but not necessarily those other things in the list, and I have zero admiration for Trump. I do not trust him, and I think his candidacy will be a disaster in more ways than one. Even back in the 80's I thought he was nothing but an egotist and a blowhard.

And you are right – exposing his lies, dishonesty and narcissism does nothing. His follows JUST. DON'T. CARE. I've kind of come to the conclusion that they simply want to throw a monkey wrench into the works, just to see what happens.

4. Padma Kadag says:

I am inclined to feel more negativity from Hillary. She actually is the opposite of Trump and not in a good v.s evil way. Hillary is calculating. Disingenuous, a panderer to ethnic groups, she is nothing more than a machine which is fueled by habit or karmic winds with no real agenda other than satisfying some old karmic debt. Trump is the same, the only difference is that Hillary appears to be more intelligent which isn’t really that important. Intelligence is over valued. I think John Oliver is grossly predictable.

5. mayramm says:

I'm dying of laughter! Trump is such a tool!

6. Indeed, this is brilliant! A good laugh during such a unstable time! Thanks!