Walt Whitman: this is what You shall do.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 3.6
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
180k

This is what you shall do: dismiss whatever insults your own soul.

Relephant Bonus video:

Relephant Reads:

Buddhist rule re: Worrying.

A Little Quote to Help Us get through the Hard Stuff.

17 Precious & Timely Pearls of Pema-Wisdom.

Twenty Quotes to Give you Chills.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 3.6
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
180k

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Sep 12, 2014 8:21am

Walt Whitman was not a Transcendentalist, Bob. But look more into Jack Kerouac if you want more modern Eastern-inspired American writers. http://kingofbacklinksreviews.com/

anonymous Jul 9, 2014 10:30pm

It’s hard to find your blog in google. I found it on 13 spot, you should build quality backlinks ,

it will help you to get more visitors. I know how to

help you, just type in google – k2 seo tips and tricks

anonymous Dec 19, 2013 6:40am

Alan Ginsberg traced his poetic lineage to William Carlos Williams, back to Whitman, back further to Blake. You could say all were mystics, in that none of these poetic gentlemen were square pegs fitting into square holes. WCW was a doctor, who wrote haiku-like poems on scraps of paper, picking up the language of the folks he treated. "No images but in things"–made poems more vivid: e.g. both he and Ginsberg who was also a great poetics teacher, taught to use specifics rather than generalities–so use "morning dove" or "ground sparrow" or "goldfinch" rather than "bird". Whitman was a male nurse in the Civil War and cared, like WCW, so much for the ordinary fellow man. He exudes kindness and love in his poetry–like Blake–who cared for the lowly chimney sweep and the black child and cried out against the invading Industrial Revolution, while contemporary Romantics like Wordsworth retreated to the countryside full of daffodils or like Shelley took refuge in Italy. I gotta say though, had Keats survived TB (contracted by caring for his dying bro) he had it to transcend the category of "Romantic". Check out "Endymion" written in abstracts still, but considering the above circumstance, he writes "A thing of beauty is a joy forever…"

anonymous Nov 9, 2012 8:33pm

In the novel, "No More Heroes," Walt Whitman's poetry is referred to a lot. Several title's appear as well as the prose. Enjoy the novel and the characters within.

anonymous Jul 13, 2012 9:15pm

Natural picture.
dismiss whatever insults your own soul ‘cos these happenings are just experiences leading to wisdom.For acquiring this only we have taken birth on this planet workshop among tight demand
among co-souls waiting to take birth.

anonymous Jun 24, 2012 9:48pm

Needed it now!
“Dismiss whatever insults your own soul, but do _not_ dismiss whatever insults your ego. Two different things that can get confused.”

anonymous Jun 19, 2012 8:53pm

[…] you live your life passionately, it’s going to […]

anonymous May 21, 2012 12:30pm

[…] “Leaves of Grass” by Walt Whitman. “A very beautiful poem that’s on my wall in my yurt/studio. […]

anonymous Mar 17, 2012 4:23am

[…] But on what? Wine, poetry or virtue, as you wish. […]

anonymous Mar 2, 2012 4:47am

Whitman's writings were influenced by his Quaker upbringing/background and associations.

anonymous Feb 25, 2012 8:00am

[…] the imperative need for poetry to narrow the gap, it was inevitable that I’d fall in love with Walt Whitman, sooner or later. Here is what he he said to me last […]

anonymous Feb 7, 2012 10:33am

[…] loves Whitman, Twain and Thoreau when it comes to literary advisers, but what about good old Charlie? His stories […]

anonymous Dec 30, 2011 2:18pm

[…] 1. Leaves of Grass – Walt Whitman. Sure you’ve read it. Or have you? Maybe you remember some of it from high school or college. When was the last time you sat down and read a book of poetry cover to cover? “This is what you shall do…” […]

anonymous Dec 25, 2011 10:07pm

[…] to think good thoughts and wish it all better” kind of way. Let it go and take a cue from Walt Whitman instead: “This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give […]

anonymous Nov 16, 2011 8:17pm

[…] […]

anonymous Oct 16, 2011 3:08am

[…] piece of you that doesn’t care about what other people think if it means holding onto what insults your soul. In that case, disregard the previous instructions completely and take this advice […]

anonymous Sep 23, 2011 1:54pm

Perfect. I love Walt & definitely need to find a good spot in the woods Dead Poet style & do some re-reading.

"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.”

anonymous Dec 13, 2011 9:07am

Dead Poet's Society is one of my all time favorite movies…and this quote totally reminded me of it also, Kate!

anonymous Jul 16, 2011 8:35am

Letting this settle in into my day. Thanks for this reminder.

anonymous Jul 16, 2011 12:55am

Such a beautiful face, and exquisite words, Thanks!

anonymous Apr 23, 2014 3:14pm

i was thinking the same Tracy…i have seen his picture a thousand times, but for some reason today he just looked so more beautiful then before…

anonymous Jun 11, 2011 12:18pm

[…] the similarities between Pinnochio and our own humanness. No matter how hard he tried to do the right thing, he was always drawn toward disaster because of his desires or laziness. Thankfully, the Blue Fairy […]

anonymous Jun 6, 2011 9:02am

Thank you very much for this!

anonymous Jun 6, 2011 4:46am

words i needed to read & hear this morning ;-; thanks!

anonymous Sep 4, 2010 6:33pm

I'll add a (dramatically non-poetic) point of clarification: Dismiss whatever insults your own soul, but do _not_ dismiss whatever insults your ego. Two different things that can get confused.

Also, Walt Whitman is beautiful.

anonymous Sep 4, 2010 5:45pm

Dismiss whatever insults your own soul…. gotta love that phrase! Pure wisdom. Thanks for sharing

anonymous Sep 4, 2010 5:45pm

I often recite Walt Whitman quotes to my class during Savasana 🙂

anonymous Aug 19, 2015 4:49pm

I include Whitman when I teach Transcendentalism…it works well.

anonymous Mar 29, 2010 9:27pm

Well, the Transcendental movement was quite literally a club, with meetings and everything!

Bob Weisenberg Mar 29, 2010 9:40pm

Looks like we have a case of the same word being used to mean a variety of things. As you probably know, many scholars lump Whitman right in with what I'll call the "Boston Transcendentalists", as does whoever wrote Wikipedia and my college curriculum.

No matter, though. I appreciate the refinement you have made. Thanks.

Bob Weisenberg Mar 29, 2010 2:22pm

Thanks for the clarification, Rob. I have to confess I'm a bit confused, though. What does it take to merit the label if not being inspired by Transcendentalists and spouting similar ideals? Surely geography doesn't trump substance in a literary/philosophical movement, does it?

anonymous Mar 29, 2010 2:09pm

I guess what I'm saying is that Whitman was not a part of the Transcendental movement (capital T) that included thinkers like Emerson and Thoreau. Though Whitman was inspired by Emerson in particular, he was not a Transcendentalist, even if he spouted similar ideals. One of the most important limiting factors of Transcendentalism as a movement is that it was New England-based – all while Whitman was in New York.

anonymous Mar 26, 2010 8:36am

Bob Weisenberg Mar 26, 2010 2:55pm

Hi, Rob.

I'm sure we are both right, just using different definitions of the word "transcendental."

The term as I'm using it is a well-defined movement in 19th century American literature and philosophy. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendentalism. (This wiki site even says "It is sometimes called American transcendentalism to distinguish it from other uses of the word transcendental.")

How are you defining the word "transcendental"?

Thanks for writing.

Bob Weisenberg

anonymous Apr 27, 2013 10:38am

Maybe not, but he was enlightened. awakened.

Bob Weisenberg Mar 17, 2010 3:29am

Sounds pretty Yogic to me. Some readers may not be aware that Walt Whitman and the other "American Transcendentalists", including Thoreau and Emerson, were heavily influenced by the ancient Yoga texts, particularly the Upanishads. It was the original introduction of Yoga into America.

This is something I want to learn more about, if anyone has any sources to recommend. I read these guys as an English major back in college before I knew the first thing about Yoga, so I'm anxious to curl up with a copy of "Leaves of Grass" and see how it comes across today now that I have been heavily influenced by the ancient Yoga texts myself.

Bob Weisenberg

elephant journal Sep 4, 2010 5:46pm

Yah, have you read How the Swans Came to the Lake? One of my fave books and authors.

anonymous Mar 16, 2010 3:38pm

Beat ya to it! It's been on my FB page & my blog (http://weneedus.tumblr.com) for a couple weeks now.

elephant journal Sep 4, 2010 5:45pm

Nice man! Send us more good tips in future? Blog for us?

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

elephant journal

Elephant Journal is a independent, mission-driven communiuty. Dedicated to “bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society, we’re about anything that helps us to live a good life that’s also good for others, and our planet.

Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>>

Elephant’s been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter’s Shorty Awards for #green content…twice. >>>

Get involved:
> Get our curated online magazine, free e-newsletter.
> Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook.
> Write: send article or query.
> Advertise.