Don’t let the breath be the last resort—let it be the first.
Teaching yoga, you start to realize that the majority of us don’t recognize the importance of our breath. Being aware of breathing is vital—and knowing how to breathe correctly is pretty beneficial too. Breathing is at the core of every experience, whether good or bad.
Why do we breathe? Because we want to stay alive? Breathing is the most important thing in our lives; everything else can wait. So put down your coffee or whatever you’re doing at this moment in time and follow this simple breath awareness technique known as the Full Yoga Breath. It’s guaranteed to help change your life in a number of ways and I promise it will only take a moment of your time. Below is a short list of some of the ways the breath can help you just in case you didn’t already know:
- Aids with depression, panic and anxiety attacks when it’s done correctly.
- Helps the mind to focus.
- Creates a sense of calm when you feel that your may be losing it. For example, with children or in a traffic jam.
- Using the lungs the way they should be used helps you look and feel younger. Yipppeee!
- Increases energy levels.
- Most importantly keeps you on this planet or whatever planet your on.
The rough guide.
This breathing technique can be included at anytime, anywhere or any place, no matter who you’re with, what you’re doing or how you’re feeling. If appropriate close your eyes, but this isn’t a necessity. It can be practiced anywhere. You don’t have to lie down in a relaxation position, however for the sake of guidance why not lie down and relax anyway.
- Lying on your back become aware of the movement of your breath as it moves through the nostrils. Is your breath naturally shallow or deep? This is a good thing to start observing especially if your not familiar with your breath, which sounds crazy i know but you’d be surprised how many people barely know the breath exists and no i’ m not joking.
- Place your hands on the abdomen with your middle finger tips touching at the navel.
- As you inhale through the nose allow your abdomen to expand like a big balloon—this will naturally create a space between the middle fingers. As you exhale through the nose allow the abdomen to gently relax and you will notice the middle finger tips touching back together.
- Use the full capacity of the lungs as you breathe.
- After five minutes, you will feel totally relaxed, the mind will be still and the breath will be smooth, calm and rhythmic.
- Smile and enjoy the rest of your day.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 47,402 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,580 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 13,126 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,171 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 4,908 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 245 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 3,475 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 123 shares