Are you a Naked Person?

Via Alden Wicker
on Mar 10, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Your comfort with nudity says a lot about who you are.

Let’s step away for a moment from all the debate surrounding nudity, sex, and whether nudity means selling stuff through sex. Or something.

What I really want to know is this: are you a naked person?

Hey, it’s an important question. I’m not asking if you’re a nudist, an exhibitionist, or a Playboy model. I’m just asking if you’re comfortable in your nakedness. After bikram yoga, do you strip off your sweaty pants in the locker room while chatting with your neighbor? Do you jump into a dressing room with your best friend so you can look at each other’s outfits? Do you feel comfortable sauntering across the bedroom – no, the living room – in

Credit: tallacman1 on Flickr

just your skivvies while your significant other watches with a surprised grin?

I think your view of nakedness says more about you than how conventionally beautiful you are. It’s not about how many packs you’ve got in your stomach, or how much bounce you’ve got in your boobs. It’s about how you approach life. People who feel comfortable naked are apt to give bear hugs. They relish food and will share theirs with you, and will also spear some off of your plate. They like to make new friends, and don’t judge others based on what they are wearing.  If they fart in public, they just laugh and say, “Whoops.” Naked people don’t mind what other people think of them, and will take risks in the pursuit of fun. I’m not saying naked people are better; they just approach life differently.

Not-naked people approach life more cautiously. They want to do things right, and worry about being seen as reckless or inappropriate. They value long-standing relationships over meeting new people, and are careful about eating right. Whether or not you’re a naked person says more about you than your zodiac sign, the place you were born, or your level of education.

Credit: AvaJune on Flickr

I asked my sister this question over a couple of beers last year, and she told me that she is definitely not a naked person. If she is in the bedroom, getting ready to go out, and her loving husband walks in and exclaims, “You’re naked!” (no doubt delighted) she becomes self-conscious and dashes into the bathroom.  I, on the other hand, regularly cause my roommate to avert her eyes when I wander into the kitchen for a glass of water with nothing but a thong on. Our mother is not a naked person. Neither is my best friend. I cause all these people consternation when I forget my towel and decide to make the trip to the bathroom without it, propriety be damned. But then again, I cause them consternation in a lot of other ways as well. It’s just the way I am. I would strip off my clothes when I was two-years-old whenever I got the chance.

Try this game next time you are out with a friend: ask them about acquaintances you share and whether they are naked people. You’ll have fun parsing it out. “She makes dirty jokes all the time. She’s definitely a naked person.” Or, “She’s a naked person once you get to know her.”

It becomes shorthand for the nuances of a person’s personality. “Is he a naked person?” can answer the question of how outgoing he is, whether he would accept an offer of a puff of your blunt, whether you should hug him when you first meet, or offer a hand shake.

So maybe next time you really want to get to know somebody, ask him or her this question. “Are you a naked person?”

Photo: Matthew Blasi

Relephant:

Learning to Make Friends with Ourselves: Pema Chodron video on Maitri.

A mindful diet doesn’t include dieting. How to be in harmony with our body, speech, and mind:

About Alden Wicker

Alden Wicker is a freelance journalist and founder of EcoCult.com, a blog about all things sustainable in New York City and beyond. She also writes about electronic music, personal finance, and yoga for publications such as Well + Good, Refinery29, LearnVest, Huffington Post and Narratively.

Comments

72 Responses to “Are you a Naked Person?”

1. David Calico says:

I love this article! What a great talking point. People who love being naked are better lovers than people who are conventionally attractive….

2. Phil says:

There's a freedom to what you say, Pete. Having grown up in a rather prudish (non-Christian) home, it's another mindset, another world, that would lend itself to shedding clothing upon walking through the threshold of, even, home, but it's enticing. I personally don't see anything wrong with it, though one would have to be quite comfortable with his or her body, and I am not. I feel in shape and work out regularly, but I also feel, and have always felt, overly pail in complexion, but also not wanting to expose myself to UV and the cancer it brings. Give me a tan, and I'm all in.

3. Pete says:

Phil mate, Only just saw your comment, which makes perfect sense. The difference in our upbringings possibly accounts for our differing feelings about nudity – I didn't have to wear clothes as a kid, so chose not to as a young man and an adult, unless good manners or other circumstances made clothes necessary (and there are lots!). But it's never been about looks, for me at least. I have always been skinny rather than muscular, and am no Greek god type figure! I and my friends and family just enjoy being naked pretty well anywhere, irrespective of whether we have impressive physiques. A lot will depend on who's around at your home, of course, but it's not about sex or looks, just comfort and uninhibited friendliness – nothing to hide. I do tan easily,though!

4. Joe B says:

I think it was more than being a competitive swimmer, but the more important thing is that you got there!
    I don't know the name of the movie you saw, but it reminds me that I once did a little scuba diving. One day, after a dive, several of us were taking off our gear onshore. A scuba suit is a little hard to take off and one often asks someone else to pull on the back of it to get it started. So this ordinary woman asked me to pull her suit off for her. I did so and then asked her to do the same. She then proceeded to strip off her bathing suit, also. We continued talking about our adventures underwater. I also stripped. We both dried off and got dressed in our street clothes. Neither of us had ever seen each other before. It was a beautiful, sexy moment of trust.

5. Cree says:

My thoughts exactly. This person is just making stuff up, their perspective and their imagination about their world written to sound like some innovative universal truth. Completely bunk. "Here's two cookie cutters! You fit in this one or the other, and jeez, shouldn't we sorta look down on the ones in that other cookie cutter. How free they aren't. Shame."

6. Michelle says:

I have been given the nickname of "The Naked One". Because I always strip like "a snake" as I walk into my home. I guess that answers this question eh?

7. Tennessee Shuffler says:

Yes I really enjoy being naked as often as I can. but there,s just not a lot of places in my state (TN) where a person can enjoy that type of natural freedom.

8. Melina says:

I guess the answer is, yes, to some degree. For instance, when I went to Strawberry hot springs with my boyfriend, I happily stripped naked and headed out since that is acceptable there at night. He was really uncomfortable about me being naked since apparently all the guys were staring at me. I didn’t notice this since I was too busy enjoying myself, but it made him uncomfortable and caused us to have a disagreement about it since I felt like he was ruining my fun. I did this at a spa in santa cruz called Kiva too. Of course, I went there without my boyfriend once and did learn that guys sometimes are more forward with you when you are okay walking around naked by yourself. One time when I was in one of pools, talking to a group of people, one of the guys across from me kept trying to fondle me with his foot under the water. 😉 I don’t have a problem being naked at home either if I am not cold. However, I am mindful in locker rooms or other public places where nudity is not as acceptable. I like to be mindful about keeping my towel on or changing into clothes with purpose. I don’t like to make others uncomfortable and do follow some social norms when necessary. But, nudity doesn’t make me uncomfortable. Oh, except for that one time when a naked man was walking along the beach and purposely walked really close to me and leered at me. I couldn’t tell he was naked at first since the sun was low and I could only see his silhouette. So suddenly when he was right next to me I was in for a surprise 😉 and not really a pleasant one (I wasn’t attracted to him either). That is all.

9. Melina says:

I tried to comment, but the pending comment post didn't show…hopefully it worked.

10. Sherri Rosen says:

Alden thank you for this article and please checkout my article with Elephant Journal-
    Ripe: Aging With Grace & Authenticity: with nude photos of myself. How liberating
    it was to do this http://www.sherrirosen.com/2011/05/31/video-on-ha
    Sincerely,
    Sherri Rosen

11. Sonia says:

I'm most definitely a naked person! There is nothing to be ashamed of. Our bodies are beautiful and natural and amazing! 🙂

12. ashleesilver says:

I do appreciate what this article stands for, however, I urge the author and readers to be wary of the grey areas that do exist. According to your description, I fall firmly under the category of 'naked person'. In fact, I fall in to this category in such an extreme way that I know I have managed to encourage other people in my life to also care a little less about eating a salad while out for lunch, or whether or not they remembered to shave their legs before going out that night.
    In my first year of college, there were many times I found myself stripping off while a friend was in the room, simply because I needed to get dressed and I wasn't about to inconvenience myself by shyly flirting around a way to ask the friend to leave so I could have privacy (obviously there are limits to this situation – I wasn't about to strip off while a male stranger popped in to ask me if I knew what was for dinner during the first week in residence).
    However, I have grown up with vanity coming at me from all directions. Recently, I was about to go to the supermarket with my boyfriend dressed in my pyjamas, and he made me get changed. I do respect that, because I didn't look messy, and there is a line between not curling your hair to buy tomatoes and looking like you've been hit by the hangover bus. Had I run into a potential employer, I would have been guttered that this person did not see me as having a reasonable supermarket get up. Could this potentially hinder my future?
    Moreso, despite my ease in walking around my all-girl flat without a top on, asking to borrow moisturiser, I still have trouble exposing myself to my boyfriend of 18 months. I know I'm a beautiful person, and I accept that I'll never look like Miranda Kerr, yet I continue to have deep insecurities about aspects of my body. During a part of my life I am not proud about, I once asked my ex-boyfriend what his least favourite part of my body was. I urged him for an answer, to the point where he was nearly in tears because he loved me just as I was, and telling me any part of me was subpar was torturous to him. Eventually he succumbed to my insistence, and told me his least favourite part of me was my bum. I wasn't expecting that, as previous boyfriends had loved my big behind (including my current boyfriend). To this day, however, I cannot turn around and face directly away from him.
    Perhaps I'm getting in too deep here, but I want you to know, that I am the first to embarrass myself publicly in order to make my peers feel at ease. That is the kind of person I am. For as long as I can remember, I have managed to completely stop caring about how strangers perceive me because I know who I am and what I stand for. However, I can't always be naked. And sometimes, even in settings I am usually most comfortable in, I still want to hide myself away. I can't show my boyfriend my full naked body, and finally, I know there are times when I need to be less 'naked' while in public, out of respect for myself, my peers and the public.

I only ask that as consumers of this article, you all be aware of the grey areas. Respect those who have insecurities or anxiety about being 'naked' all the time. It does not mean they are any lesser than you for your ability to fart in the line at Starbucks and laugh about it. It does not mean that they will not one day make a positive change the way that you will too.

13. Sam says:

I am a full bore naked person. I think you make some assumptions and come off a bit judgemental about non naked folks, which in some way makes you a non naked person by your standards. Cool article. Though I don’t think we can come to as many conclusions based on or comfortableness about nudity. I know some pretty uptight people who are very comfortable being naked, men and women.

14. oldkahuna says:

A major point that seems to have been missed is what I would call "the bliss of being without clothes." There have been several times in my life when I simply sat on a beach without clothes and felt the bliss of being there unclothed, complete with sun, breezes, and sea spray. I felt a oneness like no other experience. I've also felt bliss while sitting with a small number of persons being without clothes. There was an openness that was an extraordinary, feeling experience.
    I was also once a student at a clothing optional massage school. When someone accidentally bumped into another, the response was not "Excuse me!" It was "Thank you."
    Enjoy the warmth of eyes on bare skin and open minds. Hug long and completely.

15. oldkahuna says:

16. @seanturvey says:

As a child I used to stop in the corn field so I could be naked. It was the only place I could be free.

I feel confined and strangled by clothes and can't wait to get home to take them off. My wife too is a naked person, I doubt I could have married someone who wasn't.

17. Hello, Alden! You’re spot on with this topic. Everyone is different when it comes to nudity. My name is Scott, founder of The Naturist Page on Facebook, Twitter and WordPress. https://thenaturistpage.wordpress.com

My wife and I are Naturists. I was raised as one and when I meet my wife, I got her more in to it as she was part Sky-clad at the time. Today, we’re always free from the clothes at home and at camp-grounds, resorts and nude beaches. As a Naturist, we learn body acceptance and acceptance of others and feel that everyone is beautifully unique with a vast amount of body types, shapes and sizes and all are beautiful. The same goes for scars and marks. The are a symbol of war scars and they all tell a story about yourself from your life that can start a positive conversation. Naturists also don’t look at the body as something sexual. Just like in the clothed world, there is a time and place for everything. a common hiccup among non-nudists is that it’s all about sex parties and orgys… That statement could not be more wrong. We act the same way as people who have clothes on, just that we’re clothes free and we have a zero tolerance to people who act lewd in public. We love to embrace the nature around us and feel in tune with nature with the self respect of ones self and for others. ~Scott

18. mike aussiedain says:

Yes yes yes. Naked whenever possible. Clothing only when necessary. How else can anyone feel the true connection with nature.

19. scott chalfant says:

Yes I love being nude. I am nude right now although about to leave my house so gotta cover up. I don’t mind being seen naked. By adults. I’m comfortable with the body I have. If a woman I just meet asks me to get naked for her I would but only because she wants to see. Woman naked are so sexy , curves like fine art. Its weird to me more people aren’t like us naked ones . any woman think like me. I would think so,

20. Jay says:

I am glad you wrote this! Some of the most “real” times I have had with friends was when we “got nekkit”, streaked, or just hung out nude. It wasn’t sexual, as much as it was playful, silly, & freeing. I usually was the first one, and some say that that’s from where “Naked as a Jaybird” originated. I don’t consider myself a nudist, but enjoy going nude when the climatic and social environments are conducive and agreeable

21. Rose says:

Another good one is, “do you pee in the shower?” I have found similar conclusions.

22. Lelo says:

I am a naked person. When I was living in the dorms in college (1987, yeah I’m dating myself), the big joke was to steal another girl’s towel while she was showering. I’d seen it happen, and the responses would vary. One girl hid out in the showers til someone came in and she convinced them to bring her a towel. One girl detached the shower curtain, wrapped it around herself, and dashed back to her room that way. Not me. They stole my towel and I calmly stalked down the hallway naked and dripping to my room. I still snicker a little remembering the reactions I got when I did this. 🙂